2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Iceblossom, if it is any consolation, I went through the whole Breast Cancer thing 4 years ago. It is not fun, but certainly tests our strength at handling surprises. I am still here and it will be 5 years in November since the first surgery. It has a way of putting a new perspective on life in general. Life is way too short to take life too seriously. Live each day as if it is your last, but don't be stupid about it. My way of giving back is to donate quilts to the Cancer Center to raffle off to the Chemo patients. I understand they love and appreciate them. That is all that matters.

I am working on my rail fence star quilt, have all the blocks made and am now adding sashing and cornerstones. The backing is 5 yards from the stash. The blocks are from stash jelly rolls. This is the 4th rail fence star quilt and I love making them. They go fast and are not all that boring. Not sure which quilt will be next. I have 7 quilts from my friend that need to be quilted on the longarm, and one, soon to be 2 of mine. So I will be busy this weekend.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
Belfrybat, You have only 18 yards in your stash!? I have 18 yards in each of about 20 tubs, totes, shelves... That's about 360 yards, not counting the scraps! You are so good!!
Oh, Belrybat, I'm sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you meant that you have only 18 yards in your stash.. not that you used 18 yards from your stash! I was wondering why, with only 18 yards in your stash, why you were not out shopping!

Using 18 yards from your stash is super great!! Congrats.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I’m having no trouble following this moratorium as I have lost my mojo and can’t seem to get in the quilting mode. Maybe I should do like some of you and spring clean. Maybe something hiding will inspire me!
I lost my mojo earlier this winter, to many work projects that just depleted my energy. But it returned and now I'm making jelly roll rugs and having a blast. I hope yours comes back soon and you can get back to using up your stash, to me there is nothing worse then losing your mojo. I think the idea of spring cleaning is a good one, like you said, maybe you'll find something that inspires you, or for me, somedays, just thinking about cleaning drives me to my sewing machine.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:09 AM

Good morning.

I purchased 1 yard of bunny fabric that will hopefully go into my Wonderland Quilt. And, good news, I have started to cut out the blocks for it. So, it's not sitting in the stash drawer. It does look like it will fit in. But, won't know until I get to piecing the blocks.

The FQ bundle and package of buttons that I purchased the other day. Also, left the house. It was a gift for someone.

So, there is only the small FQ bundle/kit that I found at the thrift store that needs to leave my house. It will also be gifted. But, is not slated to leave my house for a few more months. But, it will go. But, I have to admit, it is taking up space in my gifting box. Which at the moment is full. So, nothing more can be added to the box till a few things come out. (I keep a small gifting box to send out little things to my swap partners. I just hope that I am sending them things they can use. Otherwise, I hope they re-gift them as well.)

I still need to finish purging in my fabric drawers. I stalled a little. To be fair, my favorite hospice run thrift store is expanding. So, I'm kind of waiting to drop off things till they have a bit more room to display things. I'm excited about this. Sometimes they get sewing machines in. I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. But, I keep going back to check to see what they have. Maybe with more room, they will get a few more bigger items in. Truthfully, I probably miss a lot that comes in as I usually only stop around to see what they have once a month. I feel, if I'm meant to have something, it will be there when I go in. If not, then someone else was meant to have it.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 AM

iceblossom, the waiting is the worst for most people. I personally wasn't concerned in January as we were all sure it was DCIS and a large lumpectomy would get it all. Nope, invasive this time. Like grann said you live each day to the fullest after you make your decision on what your course of treatment will be. I wish your friend well.

The front and back of the Hugs and Kisses quilt are done. I hope to sandwich it today after I work on my closet for a while. The rod fell down, so I decided to empty it and do some sorting as I repaired it. No one needs this many clothes and shoes. A private cat rescue is having a rummage sale so the timing is good. I'm a dog person, not cat, but they are God's creatures, too, and deserve to be taken care of.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:31 PM

I've gotten 2 quilts sandwiched and turned, ready to quilt.

And DH is getting the repair painting done in my quilting studio. It's been dirty and out of order since having the plumbing replaced in the house and all the repair plaster work made lots of dust. Tomorrow, we can start vacumning, moping, wet dust the walls. Then get all the stuff off the LA so I can start using it again.

Going to a retreat in 2 wks and want to take the small quilts to quilt so trying to get them all sandwiched. After that I can start diminishing my stash with more charity quilts.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
iceblossom, the waiting is the worst for most people. I personally wasn't concerned in January as we were all sure it was DCIS and a large lumpectomy would get it all. Nope, invasive this time. Like grann said you live each day to the fullest after you make your decision on what your course of treatment will be. I wish your friend well.

The front and back of the Hugs and Kisses quilt are done. I hope to sandwich it today after I work on my closet for a while. The rod fell down, so I decided to empty it and do some sorting as I repaired it. No one needs this many clothes and shoes. A private cat rescue is having a rummage sale so the timing is good. I'm a dog person, not cat, but they are God's creatures, too, and deserve to be taken care of.
I agree, the waiting is the worse part. Cancer is invasive not only on the body but in your life and those close to you.

This moratorium has done a lot for me. I have followed it from the beginning and have felt and done a lot of the things that people have said on this. I lost mojo because I was in a cast on a foot that just didn't want to heal and its been nearly a year. Of course it was my driving foot and sewing foot. Plus having to stay of it made the messes everywhere just keep piling. I read and followed many, started to sort, clean a little at a time, what I could reach from a chair. I had decided not to spend money on anything for crafting this year and so far other than two yards of material have stuck to it. And I started a project that took planning and now following. I am making a mood quilt. Didn't want to admit because I see myself unfolding with it and it is starting to change how I think and how I feel or handle things. And it takes nothing but stash, other than the two colors I had to have as nothing as fits and I am using them.

Only new project I am doing, and its all about me. For the rest, as I sort and clean all unfinished projects go into a large tote and each day I try to do something on one of them. Just finished a baby blanket of stash balls of leftover yarn from other projects. Knitting can be scrappy too.

And this morning I am actually putting it all down on paper for others to see instead of hiding. I work a lot of hours in a week, leaves little time for me, but between seeing what each day is with my mood quilt and how its coming together and all the advice and thoughts here, I think my mojo is coming back. Now to have enough time left in my life to do all I have because I know a lot of people out there that otherwise might not beable to afford a nice quilt no matter what size or a knitted item, or a cross stitch picture to hang on their wall will have one because I have a lot of work to do. At this point in my life I craft because I love to. I already spent the money on the supplies. I just need to find good homes for them and there are a lot of places that take donations, so that is where I am headed.

Best to all of you and thank you.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-14-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: proselytizing
Old 04-14-2019, 04:26 AM

Anngelanne, I'm so glad that you are here with us! You got the right idea. Today is the day we live in, so we can only do what we can do in that day. So many people beat themselves up because they can't straighten up everything in the present moment. We have to take one step at a time, and eventually things will get better.

You are an inspiration to us that you hung in there and did, and are doing, what you can do... a little at a time. Your voice is welcome here. We all need to stick together and support one another.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:43 AM

Isn't it interesting how "we strangers" are not strangers at all, because we share the love of quilting and crafting. We are born with that innate need to do things with our hands. When my DDIL was pregnant with my DGD she was placenta previa and for 3 months was bedridden. So I spent my days taking care of older DGS and keeping her resting and the house in order. Every day I talked into DDILs tummy telling the baby to be patient and stay in there till it was time to come out. Well, she was born 9 days late and was a beautiful baby. I took DGS to visit the first day at the hospital. The nurse put her in my arms and she took her little hand and ran it down the front of me like she was feeling the fabric. The nurse said, "Look how tactile she is, and she recognized your voice." That girl is now 20 years old and has made several quilts, and loves all types of crafting. She tells me she just Has to sew. She taught herself to knit, and has even made clothes for her best friend. Anyway, it thrills me to know that my love of sewing is being handed down to another generation.

I have 2 sets of blocks that need to be sewn together into tops, so that is what I will be doing today. Then I will choose the next project from my accumulated "kits" I have put together in artbins, so everything is there for each project, pattern included. My sewing studio is really quite organized, I have a few bins of scraps that need to be sorted and cut into strips and squares, but a little at a time they will get done.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-14-2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-14-2019, 05:35 AM

I've gotten all the first round of purple border units sewn and about half of the different blocks. The other half are pinned and ready to go. Always a good sign when your cut fabric comes out to the right count! This will go together quickly and easily. My technique for keeping the correct fabrics together is working well. Pretty sure at least a couple of the whites are in wrong side up, but even without vision issues it is hard to tell so am going with the flow.

Today is bowling with the hubby day and usually a couple of thrift stores on the way home. Didn't get anything last week, ok I did get a spool of Aurifil thread with my Amazon order but no fabric!

It's already time to be thinking about the next project. I think it's time to start fussing and frame the postcard blocks with sashing and lay them out. Or, I have that bag of thrift store fabric to do a fast slice and dice wonky 9-patch bright happy project. My goal for that is about a twin size top and the remainders to go to my crumb quilter and no stash gain -- other than the unquilted top. Also have the Easter fabrics gathered, just need to make a couple of star blocks and set them with the large print, it's just another happy keep me busy top, no time line. Still a week or so away from making up my mind.