2019 UFO Challenge

Old 03-06-2019, 03:54 PM

My plan is two of my own and two that I was sent by a kind member here. I'll only "count" the ones that I started. These will all be prayer quilts. I'm working on two quilt alongs and hope to get those finished as well (or at least to the quilted-yet-not-bound stage. My quilting machine has begun to act up so he might need to go into the sewing machine hospital. If that happens, then all bets are off in the completely completed dept. Keep up the good work, everyone.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I would love to get to one UFO before the end of March, but with a second grandbabe coming at the same time (the first one is 2 weeks old!) I am not sure I will be able. I also have a wedding gown to alter for a bride, and still have several baby things to make. So may not have a completed UFO until April! I will try tho. Every post I read here is motivation.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Congratulations, sewbizgirl -- two new grandbabies!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Congrates Showbizgirl on 2 new GB's.

Rob, your UFO schedule sounds like a great idea, may have to try it.

I just love all of the UFO finishes this month. By the way we had a grand total of 13 completed UFO's for the Month of February. Congrates to all the members who completed the lovely UFO.

I have about 6-7 UFO's almost finished for March. 1. Binding on a baby quilt; 2. a very small quilted small block; 3. Easter table runner; 4. shades of blue throw quilt; 5. Wolf w/h; 6. QQ BOM 2008? twin or queen (I forget the size) and 7. another throw. The last 4 are getting quilted and I should have them back to put on binding by the end of the week. 3 of the last 4 I hope to get accepted for a quilt show in June. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll post pics when I get them completed. And lastly I'm working on making curtains for my downstairs.

Happy sewing and quilting everyone.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:09 PM
Power Poster

happylab, wow! So many of your UFOs are about to be completed. Good for you!

And thanks for the congrats on my grandbabies. We are so excited to finally become grandparents!

After saying I wouldn't be working on UFOs, I went and picked up the basket with cut pieces for Winding Ways blocks that I cut ages ago. I had cut 25 and pieced a few, but they were hard to piece so I abandoned the project. Into it's basket it went. Every so often I piece a couple. Tonight I got them out and pieced some more... and about 16 blocks into the project, I finally figured out how to sew them so they come out right. I have now finished all but maybe 6. I will be so glad to finish this UFO. For some reason, I had tremendous guilt over it. Maybe because I spent too much on the fancy Marti Michell templates so I could make it.

So! Getting closer on one UFO.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM

Way to go, happylab....that's fantastic!!

sewbiz...winding ways blocks and I do not get along...at all... You are close so good on you! I would have donated the entire project and called it good....lol...

Still plugging away on a quilt using my vintage fabric. All the blocks are a different PP pattern and size so those always take longer..At least for me it does. I designed my layout in my new EQ8 so I'm eager to see if I can pull this off. It's a fun project.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

What colors are your vintage fabrics, Teen? Any idea what age of vintage? i have collecting some vintage myself...not sure what I want to do with it though.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:17 PM

OK....really pale (muted) blue, orange, green, red, yellow colors from one collection...and, soft pinks.. Mostly floral with a couple of polka dots and check board type prints from collection. One floral has a black background so I'm splashing some black here and there...not a lot but enough to balance it a bit. The main collection is from Fig & Tree Co. Called ".....at heart I am Farmhouse kind of girl". I'm not using all the fabrics since I want this quilt to be soft in color pallet. I'm pulling from other vintage stash for fillers.. I have no idea what this is gonna look like altogether when done but, so far, the blocks are so pretty.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:21 PM

I just did a quick google for Winding Ways. Yup, not for me. I have heard the name so much but the pattern just did not come to mind. So three cheers for you, Sewbiz, and I will live in my world of bliss and not go there. The blocks would wind up (yuck, yuck) in my UFO pile for sure. Beautiful end product though. Post a photo for us to see you handiwork.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I have a box full of vintage 2" squares, and some scraps of bigger pieces. They are all cut, and would make great granny square blocks. Maybe I will play with them onewth of these days. They just seemed so precious I hesitated to do anything with them.

And these are the Winding Ways UFO blocks I started working on again. I have about 18 of them made, out of 25.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609915[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4848.jpg