2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-31-2019, 04:33 PM

Happy New Year! It is already past midnight here. Yesterday I did my last fabric shopping for a long time. It was mostly for fabrics for ongoing/planned projects, but since I went to thrift stops, I knew I would not resist buying something for stash. So I rushed to do my shopping still in the old year, before the onset of this year's Moratorium.

Through 2019 year I managed to make a significant dent in my stash. Only once fell off the wagon, and that was only 1 piece of fabric, and discounted nontheless. Even with that shopping I finished the year with less fabric than I had 12 months ago. I learned to shop my stash first when in need of fabric.

I hope that in 2020 we will turn more and more stash into quilts. Best wishes for you all!
Old 12-31-2019, 04:42 PM

Since I'm planning to move, I havent bought fabric to add to my packing woes. However, I was twice gifted fabric in December. I've spent the last few days quilting the tee shirt quilt & piecing some red & pink squares into a top. I have a quilt I finished in June, except for binding, waiting its turn under the needle. I'm trying to get things completed before I move!
Old 12-31-2019, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Calmclam View Post
I'm almost relieved to have this 'excuse' to stop buying fabric! I'm still a newbie and have been doing more research than sewing. I have built a decent UFO stack, though. What with sales, coupons, freebie tables and gifts I have more fabric than I could ever use. Some I like, some I don't, and some is still to be determined. I want to lay out the UFOs and make a list - some may go by the wayside as I've learned enough to know they are not salvageable - one in particular is made with junk fabric; it's cute fabric but not worth the time & effort as it would likely fall apart. I look forward to finishing something, anything. I do need to purchase some solids - I have been avoiding them as I have been enamored by prints & blenders. Now I see I do need some; especially for sashing, HST's and background. Tried to beat the clock today and get some ordered but felt too pressured and confused by the different fabrics, prices & websites. So, I have claimed a rain check for some solids. If you have any helpful thoughts, please see the thread in the Main Forum: Solids - What & Where to buy? See you in the new year!
While white , black and grey will make good solids for what you’ve named, I would recommend you shop for any color as you need it , or else you’re still buying for an unspecified project.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:12 PM

Here’s my ticket for the wagon ride! I did very well this year using stash and avoiding impulse buying. I had one fall off the wagon but it wasn’t terrible. My biggest weakness is when I’m online shopping and the incentive for free shipping if I spend at least X amount—which is always more than I was planning to spend and for unspecified projects.

The accountability has really helped. Planning to keep being content with what I have and motivated to leave quilts, not stacks of fabric, to those I love.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:45 PM

I’m in again this year. Looking forward to using up even more of my stash!
Old 12-31-2019, 06:03 PM

I am so in again. I did okay last year. Better then a prior year that I tried. But, I am hopping back aboard this train ride. I think the wagon was a bit bumpy for my taste. I used to love train rides. You all inspire me to keep trying. I know I can't keep track of the yardage by yards so I will track it by finished quilt tops and finished UFO's. I also will keep a running list of what actually comes in. Maybe that will show me more of my buying habits. And, hold me accountable for the money I'm spending.

I did splurge on some fabrics around Thanksgiving. But am working feverishly to get it made into a quilt top. It's not going to make for this year, 2019. I still have 2 blocks left to go. And, I'm still debating on the sashing color. I'm just can't see the project finished yet. It is the 2nd quilt made with the same pattern. And, it's growing organically. I incorporated a fat quarter that I've had for years. I was able to get a bit of it into 6 different blocks. (gasp, It was actually in the donate bin. I loved the print. So, I decided to just use it up.)
Old 12-31-2019, 06:19 PM

I'm in also. Today I finished up 2 tops made from scraps and one was 2 layer cakes that have been languishing waiting for the right project. I found fabric in the stash for backings, so in total I used up 21 1/2 yards, not a bad start for the new year.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:47 PM

I'm back on board this year. Last year was a great success and a real shift in my thinking. I'm blaming Conchalea for my thunking fall off the wagon recently because she explained that the Moratorium only went to Black Friday, LOL. I joined a BOM and bought two kits from Bluprint during their sale. Back to moratorium mode thinking now! I have about 55 stash quilts kitted up and as soon as I finish an En Provence I've been working on forever I intend to have fun completing those tops.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:44 PM

I'm in on both fabric and pattern moratorium.. I did well with fabric in 2019 but blew it with the patterns. Ugh! Happy New Years!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:14 PM

This probably should go into 2019, but I want to celebrate to bring in the new year.

So from 12/10 to 12/31/2019 I had none in and 72 yds out!!!!!!!!!!
So for January my goal is none in and 100 yds out!.