2020 UFO Challenge

Old 01-20-2020, 12:45 AM

Well done quossum! Love the story and i think your friend will love it. Something so wonderful about a quilt going to an home

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-20-2020 at 03:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 AM

My last update was 16. Since then, if I’ve read the posts correctly, sewbiz finished 3 and Quossum another 1, bringing us up to 20.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. I have not received PM’s from everyone who has posted finishes, so I may have missed.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:04 PM

Another top finished! Wahoo! I will give it to the church quilters tomorrow to finish.

The 9 blocks were assembled by an unknown person and found in a donation. I sewed the blocks together and wanted to put it on point like Jenny Doan did in one of her videos but I didn’t have enough solid fabric to make the huge corners. I found the bird fabric and the green fabric and liked the combination with the 14.5” finished blocks. Because I needed it longer, I added another color for the top and bottom.

My next UFO project was in a different donation bag and has 4 rows of 3 blocks and sashings already sewn. I hope there is enough fabric for the horizontal sashings. The backing was also in the donation but my church group uses sheets so I will be adding that to my stash or, maybe, giving it to Bundles of Love for baby quilt backings. I hope to finish that this week.
Attached Thumbnails df73dcd7-f871-4a32-9683-2670b41de6b7.jpeg  
Old 01-20-2020, 04:22 PM

Retiredteacher09, isn't it amazing what we can do with donations and a little of our own creativity. Nice quilt! Wondering if your church quilters are hand quilting or machine quilting?
Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 PM

Retiredteacher , your finish brings us up to 21 as a group!

Our goal is 22. Looks like we’ll blow that one outta the water!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:07 AM

Good morning all, I am up early and trying to decide to brave the cold today and meet with my circle ladies. Yesterday, I did manage to complete binding one of the kid's quilt that I have been mentioning for the past two or three days. Zozee, I did PM you and not sure if it went through to you. It's been a couple of years since I've did a PM message. I am going to work on the second quilt binding it may just put us over the top of our January goal.

Have a happy sewing day everyone

cherryb
Old 01-21-2020, 03:52 AM

I don't think I joined in at the beginning of the month, but UFO's I got!! VQW, I managed a wallhanging that I have had the fabric for for five years! Does this count?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
I don't think I joined in at the beginning of the month, but UFO's I got!! VQW, I managed a wallhanging that I have had the fabric for for five years! Does this count?
If you think of it as a UFO, then it counts. People have different definitions for the term. Some consider a quilt started when they pull the fabric for it, others (like me) consider it to be after some sewing has started & the project languishes for various reasons. So pm Zozee to add yours to the official count!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty View Post
Good morning all, I am up early and trying to decide to brave the cold today and meet with my circle ladies. Yesterday, I did manage to complete binding one of the kid's quilt that I have been mentioning for the past two or three days. Zozee, I did PM you and not sure if it went through to you. It's been a couple of years since I've did a PM message. I am going to work on the second quilt binding it may just put us over the top of our January goal.

Have a happy sewing day everyone

cherryb
Yes, I did receive it. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2020, 06:01 AM

Yay!! Cherrybsixty’s finish of 1 brought us to our goal of 22, and QuiltMom’s 1 finish takes us over the top at 23!! We did it!

With still over a week in the month, let’s see if we collectively get to 27. I am working on one (close to the end) and I’ve read that others are probably going to succeed with more as well.

What a team! Keep those bobbins bobbin’ along!