Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 AM

Lisa, your Allietare is beautiful... What a nice selection of backing fabric. Great job and congrats on your finish.

Sewbizgirl, no pattern for the tote bags but for whatever reason, size 3T seems to be the best size.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Joe'smom, your quilt is beautiful! That backing fabric is perfect, too. You've been busy....
Old 02-25-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
Like a ninny I forgot to download step 6 for this quilt. I think I printed the instructions but I can't find them. Can anyone help me. Bonnie doesn't have it posted on her Quiltville site and I can't find the pattern for sale anywhere. HELP!
Thank you to everyone who sent me messages about my quandary. I will have to buy some more red fabric to finish the edges and I haven't decided on my border. A friend and I drove 3 hours to go to the Daytona Beach AQS Quilt Week. What a quilt show! There were over 200 quilts entered in the juried show from all over the U. S., Germany and Japan and about 100 more on display in various vendor booths. I thought everyone was a winner. One quilt that really stuck in my mind was a full size quilt created on a LAM by Nancy Prince and Linda French from Orlando. It was called "On This Winter Day" and over a seven year period, approximately 2,000 hours, 75,000 yards of thread and 7 million stitches were necessary to design and thread paint all the people, animals, and sleighs. It looked like an actual painting. What talent and artistry. We had a full day and then we got stuck in the rush hour traffic on the I-4 entrance ramp from I-95 and we sat in a log jam for over an hour. I'm sure glad I don't have to do that drive every day. The AQS show will return in March of next year to Daytona Beach and you should try to make an effort to attend if at all possible.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:22 PM

I haven't been working on this quilt lately, been working on my La Pass. But today I made some progress on this one, all my squares are in diagonal rows now, ready for QAYG.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:26 PM

Beautiful, Lisa! Congrats.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Yippee, I am finished piecing my Allietare top! I really love the pattern and the renaissance palette. I found this gold grape fabric on clearance and will use it for the backing.

Audsgirl, I hope we will see a photo of your top!

Those tote bags are adorable, LOL!

I have all my fabrics chosen for 'Roll, Roll Cotton Boll'. My plan is to work on it slowly and finish the top by the time the next mystery is announced. I'm not even afraid of the 600 HSTs because I learned about the paper method!
Lisa, it looks fabulous! What a nice fabric for your backing. It really ties in with the Italian theme of the quilt. How much yardage do you think it will need? I bought 5 1/2 yards of a fabric on sale at my favorite quilt shop. I know it won't be all that I need, so I will have to come up with a plan for extending it. My design wall isn't big enough and I don't have any floor space large enough for a photo, so I have no idea when I'll be able to post a picture. I am just dreading doing the quilting.

Leslie
Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
Lisa, it looks fabulous! What a nice fabric for your backing. It really ties in with the Italian theme of the quilt. How much yardage do you think it will need? I bought 5 1/2 yards of a fabric on sale at my favorite quilt shop. I know it won't be all that I need, so I will have to come up with a plan for extending it. My design wall isn't big enough and I don't have any floor space large enough for a photo, so I have no idea when I'll be able to post a picture. I am just dreading doing the quilting.
My quilt measured just over 100" (outer border was 7" instead of 5"), and I add 5" on all sides for backing and batting, so I figured I need just over 3 yd. x 3.

I have a great technique for dealing with the dread of quilting such a large quilt -- don't think about it, LOL! (I am quilting my tops in the order they were made, so it will be a long time before I have to deal with this one. I tell myself I'll be quite a bit better at it by then.)
Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post

I have a great technique for dealing with the dread of quilting such a large quilt -- don't think about it, LOL! (I am quilting my tops in the order they were made, so it will be a long time before I have to deal with this one. I tell myself I'll be quite a bit better at it by then.)
That's right... just quilt it one section at a time. It's surprising how well it can go and how quickly you can get it completed. Not every quilt needs tons of fancy quilting, so just start simple. You can always add more quilting later if you think you need it.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 AM

Your quilt looks great Lisa!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 AM

Thank you for your kind comments, everyone! It's been such fun doing this mystery with all of you! I hope Bonnie doesn't stop doing mysteries any time soon.