Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 03-28-2016, 09:57 AM

I was listening to Fons & Porter yesterday and they were saying that at best they will only get parts of a quilt to be what they consider perfect.
If they can say that for all the many years they have been quilting I'm just going to relax and enjoy the things about quilting that I love the best,color, piecing, useful art.
I take someone's color combo, and put it into a quilt pattern that I enjoy making if I need a confidence builder.
My Allietare is still in it's shoe box ready to piece together, other life problems have taken first place but it will happen and soon.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:10 AM

I'm really eager to see yours Windblown. You had such beautiful fabrics!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:01 PM

Thank You joe'smom, just checking into the forum help's keep me positive, we have such a wonderful group here.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Leslie... awesome job. I really like the border fabrics you chose.

I finished sewing my blocks into rows today and will now start assembling the rows... my goal is to get mine finished before I start plant my vegetable garden in May. : )
Thanks, jmoore, I appreciate your compliments. There is another fabric in the quilt that is similar to the border, so I thought it would be a good finish. I think I have enough of it to do the binding, too.

Leslie
Old 03-28-2016, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
Leslie, have you been quilting very long? This was a tough one to do if you are a beginner. If you enjoy quilting at all, maybe you could take a beginner class to learn the basics and go from there. If you just don't enjoy it then it might be time to quit. I realize it's not for everyone.
I have been quilting since 1998. I have had beginner classes and intermediate classes. I never expected to be perfect or do anything show-worthy, but I feel as though I am regressing in my skills. Part of my problem is that I feel guilty about all the money I've spent on fabric, books, patterns, and tools that I will never use. I figure I've got maybe 20 years left and won't be quilting for all that time. I hate doing the quilting, and I can't bring myself to send my quilts out for someone else to quilt, so I feel even guiltier for not finishing my pieces.

Sewbizgirl and BonnieI: thanks for the encouragement. I wish I could have a quilter's garage sale, but I know it would be so much work and probably wouldn't be worth the effort. Anybody want to come and shop in my stash?!

Leslie
Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Leslie, can't help but feel your pain. I wish I was closer to help encourage you or quilt a few of your tops. Would you feel less guilty if you gave some stuff away to a good charity group? They would love to have some tops to finish and donate, and always need nice fabric. Books can be sold on Ebay.

If I were you I'd keep quilting as long as I wanted to and leave directions in my will as to what to do with all of it when I'm gone. Don't burden yourself with guilt. If you are sick of quilting, move on. Or do some easier quilts. Very simple quilts done in your pretty fabrics can be quite lovely. Scrappy squares can be straight line quilted very easily with a walking foot. Quilts don't necessarily need an abundance of quilting. Sometimes less is better, as long as it's enough to hold the quilt together.

It sounds like you may just need a break. Is there something else you might enjoy for a while? Crochet, reading, gardening? Or try something completely new....
Old 03-30-2016, 06:25 PM

Well, sewbizgirl, I appreciate your words of comfort. I was ill for most of the winter and just have not felt like getting back into the swing of things. I do think I need to take a break. I don't have any ambition to do anything. Hopefully, a little time away from my sewing room will rejuvenate my interest. Thanks!

Leslie
Old 04-05-2016, 06:31 PM

I finally had the time and the inclination to put the borders on my quilt. I selected border fabric back in January but for some reason I kept thinking I would find something I liked better so the poor unfinished quilt has been hanging on my design wall waiting for its borders for months. Since it is destined to be a wedding gift for a couple getting married in May, my procrastinating had to come to an end. As you can see, I modified the blocks a bit to satisfy my "controlled scrappy" personality.
Attached Thumbnails img_6441.jpg   img_6442.jpg  
Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 PM

It's beautiful, Podunk. Love the music fabric in the neutrals.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Bravo Podunk. Almost to the finish line.