Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-02-2016, 07:21 AM

I'm back at work so hoping to get caught up on the trimming. I brought my camera, so hopefully I'll even get a chance to layout all the parts for an all over pic. (I have more room for a full layout at work then home).

Anyone else torn about the whole scalloped border? I like the idea of learning a new technique, but am not wild about the curvy border on such an angular design.

Jeanne I agree some of the pics on fb have such busy neutrals or other fabrics that some of the design is lost. I've also seen some w/ alternate colors that end up "highlighting" different aspects of the design that are cool. Almost all the color / fabric choices have worked, but I have seen a few that were unfortunate.

The pink and blue above is pretty.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:43 AM

PeriWink, are those all sewn together already?! I love it. Your neutral worked really well!

I'm thinking I may regret some of the wild neutrals I used for clue #4. I decided I may as well wait to construct the second part of clue #5 (the big blocks), since I can choose the neutrals I think work the best after my blocks are up.

It is so much fun seeing the different effects of various choices!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 AM

This is my second Allietare with busy fabrics and smaller pieces. Calling this the second one does not mean that the first one is complete. I'm still sewing clues 4 and 5 on the first. This is what I've decided to do with the centers of each block. I'm not sure which fabrics to use in the centers of the pisa blocks yet. Some of the contrast is lost with the busy fabrics, but it will look pleasant enough when it is complete.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539230[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails allietare2center.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 AM

PeriWink - Great looking quilt!! Very cheerful and fun!! All of your fabric choices work really well together!!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:51 AM

We are always so busy here during the holidays with lots of visiting relatives - I haven't had a minute to pull out my machine and work on this fun project! Today I am going to finish taking down the christmas decorations, get all the little bits of tree needles and glitter vacuumed up off the floors, sheets and towels in the laundry and then maybe I can start!!

I'm looking forward to making some progress with Bonnie's clues. I was thinking of substituting the black for a green and make it a Christmas quilt but not sure how the gray will play with it - maybe put green in for the gray? hmmmm

Some of the different colourways on FB are looking great! I like the bold look of one that is all solids - very dramatic! Lots of terrific results with this great pattern!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 AM

I was so curious as to how mine would look put together, I had to sew the blocks even though I'm suppose to be doing something else. I've got them marked and ready to sew into rows, but now I really have to get away from the sewing machine and get more moving done.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539261[/ATTACH]nothing sewn in blocks yet but here are my colors.....now to sew
Attached Thumbnails cheer-group-026.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Default Allietare

Hi there! I saw your post. For clue 1, I used Triangulations papers. You can make HST 24 at a time. Rather than do 24 alike, I cut my paper in half and made 12 alike. When you cut them apart on the solid lines, they are all perfect and don't need to be trimmed or squared up. For clue 2 and 4, I made a PP pattern. It is so accurate this way. If you want my pattern, send me your personal email address to [email protected]. I don't mind sharing. There are four of my quilter friends who used my PP pattern.

Margaret Dukes

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yes, you can do it... you just can't do it quickly. Take your time and pace yourself. They are really cute when done.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Post #1326: Macybaby you are killing me! It's gorgeous. Did you pull an all nighter! Jeepers! Bravo.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:44 AM

Great work everyone!