Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-01-2016, 08:03 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Love the design but am a little confused as to what gold and what black to use....not sure my fabric pieces I have left will be enough , especially the black. No where did I see where Bonnie told us we would need that much yardage of one print of black....any ideas? Also same question about bias binding.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
Love the design but am a little confused as to what gold and what black to use....not sure my fabric pieces I have left will be enough , especially the black. No where did I see where Bonnie told us we would need that much yardage of one print of black....any ideas? Also same question about bias binding.
I don't recall seeing that fabric requirement, either, but I'm really not worried about the borders too much... or the scalloped edge and binding. From her picture of the finished quilt, the black border seems to just disappear. Maybe it's the lighting... I don't know. But I don't feel compelled to add the wide black border. I'm going to get my quilt center done and then decide what kind of borders and binding I think it needs... if any.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 AM

I agree, Terry. I had to scramble to find more pink (gold) to use, I don't have enough black for a border and I have a good amount of my neutral left. I'll have to go shopping for the borders. You will need to use a bias binding for the scallop border, otherwise, you won't get the stretch needed for the curves. If you decide to use a straight border, don't worry about the bias binding.

While I understand the concept of the bias binding, the one time I tried it, I failed. I couldn't cut it correctly, got frustrated and ruined a good piece of fabric.

I have about 8 more blocks to put together then I can start assembling it.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:40 AM

Is anyone going to QAYG for this one?
Old 01-02-2016, 05:12 AM

Default Kitty Approved

He worked so hard his little paws were sore!
Attached Thumbnails img_20160102_074929_201-small-.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 05:50 AM

JeanneS, I love your blocks together, especially the wide variety of blacks. Each one fits in perfectly, despite the fact that they really have different "values."Sandra-P, your photo is especially fine, first because of the gorgeous kitty, but also because it clearly shows the glory of laying the blocks on the diagonal. When I first looked at your photo, I "saw" the 4 blocks of four meeting in the center and it looked easy to understand. Then I tilted my head and that same group looked much more complicated, as if they floated in the center.
I think that this quilt was very well thought out, with so many of the blocks using consistent fabrics. It would probably have been beautiful if it were done totally scrappy, but the blocks that everyone has shown really stand out and are very forceful in part because of the consistency of fabrics.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I love these blocks! Hopefully can 'play' with them later today, after work.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 AM

I couldn't wait any longer to see what mine would look like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539229[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0239.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 AM

I'm in the same boat. I cut the rest of the needed red yesterday, but will need to hit the fabric store for enough black for the border and a bit of gold too. All my pieces were scrap and I havn't got enough of either for borders. Luckily it shouldn't be difficult to find black that will blend well.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:11 AM

I agree it would have been nice to know to hold back some gold and black for the borders. Fortunately I started with several cuts of yardage and have enought of one of each for the borders, but not my favorite fabrics, so may just introduce new one for the borders.
PeriWink yours is a bright happy quilt! It worked up good in those colors!

overall I think the light, tone on tone neutrals are best in this pattern in order to see all the secondary designs in it. The real scrappy, more dominate print ones I am seeing on Facebook seem to loose some of the design. But all are pretty, and that is part of the unknown with a mystery quilt I guess! Working on more blocks today!!