Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

Great 4 patches, QuiltsRfun!
Old 12-13-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
QuiltsRfun, your 4 patches are wonderful, some great prints in them. I think I picked too many tone-on-tone fabrics. Oh well, this is my first mysterery quilt. First BH quilt for that matter. Scrappy quilts require more thought and planning than I thought they would and they are learning experiences. The good ones don't just "happen" IMHO.
Jeanne S, I agree with you - scrappy quilts take more planning than other quilts. I have made a few scrappy quilts and find it gets easier with time. I am really liking the way this MQ is going so far. Most of the fabric I have used has come from my 2 and 2 1/2 inch strips. Love using up fabric from that stash.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 AM

My neutrals are also mostly tone on tone, and they don't photo well, so the pictures don't show all the variations. I'm quite pleased with the overall look.

Here are my 4 patch blocks.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:41 AM

My lightbulb just lit up!!!

Cut the headless geese in half and you will have a HST next to a square. Jeesh, took forever to "see" that!
Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 AM

As you work on scrappy quilts and let go of some of the control, you'll find that they become easier and easier!

That said, this year my fabrics are mostly ToT or very small prints. Some of my quilts I love (Easy Street, Cathedral Stars, Carolina Christmas) some... Not so much. My "not so much" ones are basically PiGs, although I have recently gotten Grand Illusion to the last step. The fabrics, although toned down a bit in shade from Bonnie's, are just too bright and wild for me. Even knowing that I liked this year's suggested colors much better, I decided to go "safe." Now that I'm seeing some really fun pictures, I hope I don't end up wishing I'd included more of my crazy fabrics!

Today will allow some sewing for me, so will be finishing up Clue 2 and maybe starting Clue 3. I'm amazed and thrilled by how easy this year's clues have been!
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 AM

I finished step 2 on Friday and started my four patches. I am appreciating the ways the clues are broken down this year. I really enjoy seeing everyone's fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537940[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20151211_135321.jpg  
Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
QuiltsRfun, your 4 patches are wonderful, some great prints in them. I think I picked too many tone-on-tone fabrics. Oh well, this is my first mysterery quilt. First BH quilt for that matter. Scrappy quilts require more thought and planning than I thought they would and they are learning experiences. The good ones don't just "happen" IMHO.
This is my second Bonnie quilt, and I also ended up with mostly tone-on-tone. I think it takes time to learn to think 'scrappy'. And of course, it helps to have scraps, lol.

Macybaby, what beautiful gold fabrics! Pagzz, those are really great!

peaceandjoy, do you think we will be cutting the geese, then? I would bet you aren't the only one who rebounded from Grand Illusion by going quieter for this mystery.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:59 AM

Everyone's four patches look great! Pagzz, your reds are so pretty! I have a question, I find I am having to cut my strips about 1/8 inch wider than stated and even then I have only whiskers to trim off. Now I am either making my 1/4 inch seam too much or something I am doing is wonky. I had to toss aside the first ones I made as they didn't measure 3 1/2 when finished. Anyone else?
Old 12-13-2015, 08:05 AM

As Bonnie says, adjust your seam allowance. The finished size is what's important, not the 1/4 inch seam.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Everyone's four patches look great! Pagzz, your reds are so pretty! I have a question, I find I am having to cut my strips about 1/8 inch wider than stated and even then I have only whiskers to trim off. Now I am either making my 1/4 inch seam too much or something I am doing is wonky. I had to toss aside the first ones I made as they didn't measure 3 1/2 when finished. Anyone else?
I am not having that problem. You must be cutting strips a tad too narrow or your seam allowance is too wide. As QuiltsRfun said, look at thinning down your seam allowance and re measuring the strip to be sure the sewn/pressed strip measures 3 1/2" before crosscutting your 2" pairs.