Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Awesome job ladies, the colors and prints look great.

I have to keep reminding myself of my colors, since I do have a "cheddar" but it is in the red's place. I just finished trimming the decap geese, they are ready for the neutral rectangle now, so glad I made extra's b/c quality control wreaked havoc on them, leaving me 80 exactly!

This is so out of my wheel house ........... 80 of this 300 of that, 120 of the other ......... I almost never even make the same block twice!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Yippee! Clue 3! And finally we get to use Mr. Gold!
I am probably in for a rude awakening when Bonnie gets to Clue 5 but so far I am having a great time!
I know not everyone is on the same pace but it's not a race! I am only making 1/2 the blocks and I will probably have to go back and make more of each clue.

I agree with the others who said anyone starting late should make some of each clue... 1/4 or 1/3 at least - just to get an idea of where Bonnie is going when the blocks start coming together.

I am really enjoying seeing everyone's variations using her colors as well as those who are using their own colors!
Sherir your plum and cheddar will look so good
And I don't remember.. who is doing the 30's reproduction? You've got me wondering if I down size all the clues I could make a 30's baby quilt.
Kristakz your purple and white look amazing!
AngeliaNR - are you keeping your quilt or giving it to someone? Someone could spend hours looking at all the fun and interesting (and maybe odd?) fabrics! What's life without a touch of whimsy?

Since Bonnie was SO adamant about pressing the 4patches (and not spinning seams, which I usually do) I was very careful to follow her direction.
I didn't use her technique (pairing 2 strip sets RST) - instead I cut all my gold/neutral into various length strips and paired those up but then I cut the 2-patches all separately.
I don't have a large assortment of neutrals or golds so I wanted to try and make each 4patch different.

I did sew two of my 4patches with "neutral" first through the machine (incorrectly) so they ended up a being a mirror image.
The one on the right is how she directed the sewing and pressing... the one on the left is sewn incorrectly. I know I could rotate the left block so the yellow and neutral are in the same location but then the seams would be pressed opposite the rest of the "correct" 4patches.
I have no idea if it will matter in the grand scheme of things but I went back and fixed the 2 that were reversed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537882[/ATTACH]

Here my 60 4patches and 20 neutral logs... they are so BIG! What does everyone think we're going to do with them?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537883[/ATTACH]

I played a little and came up with this - but still couldn't figure out where the giant logs would go... wonder if she is being tricky and we'll end up sub-cutting them into smaller parts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537884[/ATTACH]
Is anyone else checking out the Monday Link up on Bonnie's blog? One lady speculated that perhaps the blocks would be set on point.... hmmm.... I wonder.... but if that's the case what would be used for the setting triangles? The constant? I don't think there's enough left..... time will tell.

Since Clue #5 won't be posted until Saturday 12/26 I wonder if Clue #4 will be more complicated or if we can start putting some pieces together - after-all we'll have an extra day to sew before the next clue!
Good Luck everyone!
Attached Thumbnails clue-3-4-.jpg   clue-3-3-.jpg   block2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2015, 11:10 AM

If on point the "setting triangles" could be pieced themselves.?.?

The geese have me perplexed, what possible layout would be enhanced w/ the points removed??? And the sets of 4 lead us to believe they will be in the same block, but is that clever miss direction???
Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I was so excited to check the blog to see who finished their 4 patches. Sheri,your cheddar is delightful; Krista, I am loving the purple; Jeanne, your 4 patches are so pretty; Angelia, yours are so cool and Amy, love yours too.

Kalama, hoping the weather has improved and you are doing better. Mudslides are horrifying.

My strips are pressed and this evening I plan on stitching them together. Hopefully I will have them done sometime tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:11 PM

AmyBible I really like your guesswork blocks. That's neat!

I was wondering if maybe Bonnie is going to feature her Joyeaux block from the Quiltmakers 100 blocks issue. You know, the name of the block is Joyeaux and the name of the mystery is Allietare which means to gladden or rejoice but I've about given up that idea. Our blocks for the mystery are not at all matching the Joyeaux block. So much for that idea.

Either way I'm excited about how this is turning out.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Sheri, your 4-patches look terrific. I really love all those fun neutrals! Your quilt is going to look fantastic.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:54 PM

Angelia, love your 4-patches....what fun fabrics.

Krista and JeanneS, your 4-patches are so very pretty, too.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:50 PM

i'm loving everyone's 4 patches! I got 46 done today. I'm not doing the full size but don't know exactly how big I'm making it or how many of each clue I'll need. I'll do at least half but probably more. I'll take pics when they're all done. I started with the short strip method but it never really works for me, the strips get wonky. So what I did was sew the strips but then cut into 2" and randomly choose each half of the 4 square. I had some waste that way, but oh well. I do have some 2x2 neutral squares that I think I'll use when I make more. I love the colors of this MQ. I can't wait till we start putting things together!!
Old 12-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Done! Yay!

I included a British pedestrian and a French Hen--oh, and some autumn vegetables!
Beautiful, AngelinaNR!! Only... your 'French hen' looks suspiciously like a partridge in a pear tree!
Old 12-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
This is so out of my wheel house ........... 80 of this 300 of that, 120 of the other ......... I almost never even make the same block twice!
Welcome to the world of traditional scrappy quilting!