Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-01-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
. . . I was debating doing something w/ those center blocks, (square in square, or 9 patch, or X pattern, or fussy cutting). Trying to decide if it would add to the patterning or just be "guilding the lily" I think I've decided it would just be guilding the lily, but work better as an opportunity for quilting.
I thought the same thing when I first saw the reveal. Square is a square is what I originally thought, but now I think I'll use the exploding block because it is like square in a square but it ends up with flattened corners. I think this will accentuate the tiled nature of the on point setting. I just don't know what colors to use for the inside squares. I'll play around with that and see what I come up with.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Well, I just love this outcome! I got all the churn dash blocks done today & 1 star block. I'll do the stars tomorrow. Thought about making it larger, but decided against it.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
I have her Walk if OFF in 30 Days. It has 2 workouts - 1 just walking and 1 with weights. I like it!
The funny thing with mine is the tv screen stretches her out and she looks about 30 lbs over weight. I'm pretty sure she is actually small person.
LOL I hope she's stretched out on my tv, too. That might actually help motivate me. When they're too small or perfect I feel as if I'll never be able to achieve that so why bother.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Ok, thanks Pam and Cindy! It's either get moving or buy bigger clothes at this point - and moving will be the healthier choice. Did I just make a New Year's resolution? LOL
No kidding, @QuiltingVagabond!

[Fabric Galore: I have had a Leslie Sanzone DVD for about 4 years now and I love it. I can exercise inside with the AC and a ceiling fan in August in Florida without dying from the heat. I can do 1, 2, 3, or 4 miles with this one CD. I love to quilt, knit, crochet, and read which means I really have to get exercise.]

@Fabric Galore, good to know! I usually can't exercise outdoors but really need to start moving!

I LOVE THE REVEAL!!! I was so surprised last night when I saw it had come out. IT IS BEAUTIFUL!! I haven't finished all the clues, but have kept up reasonably well and it is so beautiful that I almost want to do it in another colorway!!

Happy New Year, everyone.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:02 PM

Sigh.....I always hope that no one gets hurt....but my Granson loves football.....one more year and he graduates, but football is over till spring and now I can cheer for swimming....diving really scares me so glad none of the nine are divers.

and.... I finished the last of clue#5 and all of the cutting for #6....so ready to piece, the quilt is gorgeous..and the music and dancing (did you click on 'sway' also) is fun......thank you for sharing your day with me....Happy New Year !
Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I can't wait to start putting all my little pieces together into blocks, but for today I put it aside to work on the Quiltbug.com mystery quilt. It's a really simple one-day mystery and I had no problem finishing the top. It's a child's snuggly size so I'll give it to charity. I used my I Spy fabric strips and scraps to make it kid-friendly. This is it... called "Apple Butter".

Did anyone else do any of the New Year's Day mysteries?
Attached Thumbnails img_0375.jpg  
Old 01-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I can't wait to start putting all my little pieces together into blocks, but for today I put it aside to work on the Quiltbug.com mystery quilt. It's a really simple one-day mystery and I had no problem finishing the top. It's a child's snuggly size so I'll give it to charity. I used my I Spy fabric strips and scraps to make it kid-friendly. This is it... called "Apple Butter".

Did anyone else do any of the New Year's Day mysteries?
OH - That looks great! I didn't do the Quiltbug this year but followed along (too far behind on other projects - including Allietare).... I saw some of the other pictures posted but yours looks the best by far. That pattern really needs a lot of movement in the fabrics! Some child will be very happy to get it!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Sew infielder, I printed out the steps for Merry Mathem's mystery quilt and will work on it another time. Enough irons in the fire right now.
I did go ahead and unsew the blocks. The good thing is that I didn't have to unsew all the seams. Not sure how much sewing I'll get done tomorrow. DH and DS will be putting track lighting in the sewing room as part of my Christmas gift
Old 01-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Cute quilt sewbizgirl!!

i made a little progress on assembling blocks today, got 12 of the red ones done and 9 of the gold stars. I didn't understand the rectangle/setting triangle instructions my first pass through so decided to wait on those until I get all the blocks assembled first, then will go back and study them some more. This is going to take awhile. But I don't want to set it aside for fear I will never pick it back up. We must persevere!!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM

It's so much fun seeing everyone's progress! They are looking wonderful!

I worked on clue #5 today. I decided I would not use my darker neutral HSTs as the contrast with the gray was poor, so I had to start out by making some additional HSTs with lighter neutrals (I used the paper method, and did find it less stressful and more accurate -- and no trimming!). Tomorrow I can start on constructing the clue #5 units.