Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-01-2016, 07:21 AM

I've been looking long and hard at the finished quilt. When I first saw it I liked it, but the more I look at it the more I like it all the tertiary patterning is really awesome. I was debating doing something w/ those center blocks, (square in square, or 9 patch, or X pattern, or fussy cutting). Trying to decide if it would add to the patterning or just be "guilding the lily" I think I've decided it would just be guilding the lily, but work better as an opportunity for quilting.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:21 AM

I think this might be a full proof quilt. Every example I've seen looks fantastic!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:06 AM

Ok. Here is my first block of the two. I can see that one red is really pale compared to the rest. Too bad as it stays. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539172[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block-2.jpg   block-1.jpg  
Old 01-01-2016, 08:19 AM

Wow, what a lively star block, AlvaStitcher! Your gray is working beautifully in the alternate block. You decided not to keep the clue #2 and clue #4 sets together? Looks wonderful!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:27 AM

I was just noodling around last night and saw the picture of Bonnie with her Dad, having no idea that it was the early release of Allietare. But I immediately thought that the quilt reminded me of the various marble-tiled floors that I had seen in Italy, so I was impressed that she had created a quilt which would help me to make a quilt memory of the trip my DH and I took last March (we even stayed in the top left-hand house shown as the background for Bonnie's posts of Allietare, in Manarola in the Cinque Terre). It took a minute to realize that the quilt shown WAS Allietare. I am so impressed with this quilt. The blocks are set on point, but when you look across the rows, as opposed to a diagonal look, there are subsidiary patterns shown. I think that those patterns hid the fact that this was the same quilt that we were working on. I became sure that we'd have to cut out a lot more pieces in order to form those patterns. That makes the final reveal even more impressive. I'd still like to figure a way to enlarge the quilt by inserting a row between the gold and black borders, because the part within the borders will fit well on a queen-sized bed, but I'd like a larger hang.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:28 AM

AlvaStitcher, I really love the reds in your second picture. Everything in the block is "of a piece," just beautiful
Old 01-01-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I've been looking long and hard at the finished quilt. When I first saw it I liked it, but the more I look at it the more I like it all the tertiary patterning is really awesome. I was debating doing something w/ those center blocks, (square in square, or 9 patch, or X pattern, or fussy cutting). Trying to decide if it would add to the patterning or just be "guilding the lily" I think I've decided it would just be guilding the lily, but work better as an opportunity for quilting.
I'm wondering the same thing. I am thinking about a four by four block with 1" squares. I sure don't want to lose the look of the quilt because I just love it as it is.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:59 AM

Your blocks look great Alvastitcher. If you look closely at Bonnie's quilt you'll see some of her reds are lighter. They almost look pink. As she says, that's what makes a quilt interesting.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful blocks, Alvastitcher! Don't worry... the reds don't all have to look the same. When the quilt is together it will just make it more interesting to look at.

I'm not jumping into Clue 6 yet because I wanted to do the Quiltbug.com mystery today. She posts a clue an hour, so I will have my hands full keeping up. Will get back to the Allietare afterwards.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:21 AM

I am not going to get to sew for a while, I still have quite a bit of trimming to do and this starts my work week. But I wanted to get an idea of how my colors are going to look. This is messy, but gives me an idea anyway of how mine will look.