Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

Thread: ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Quote Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
    Would it be possible to start a new thread with each month's challenge? I am unable to check the board daily and sometimes it's hard to find the new one. I've never done a challenge before and am thinking about doing one in July.
    Hi Amelia---We have discussed this issue several times in the past. There are certainly pros and cons on both sides. For instance a fresh list does make the starting easier but if we keep starting new threads then we lose out seeing many of the projects that are finished after the deadline. Etc.

BUT there is a solution. Sign up so that you get a daily digest of this thread only. It gets little activity and so you will only get the new infrequent additions which will keep you up to date.
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

So I hope to see what all you guys have been up to this month. I hear there are some withering projects and a few that are powering ahead. We are closing in on July 1 but there is still some time to finish this month b4 you need to start thinking about next month!

Let's see some completions! Seems to me there are some from a ways back just being done too.
    Suzie

Lots of family drama has zapped my energy. I have made a pile of doll quilts for my Guild's charity effort. They take little brain power and are very satisfying. I have done every monthly challenge so far, so I'll look again. (Hint: Where are the rest of you??)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    as usual, i am here with very little to show for it. i have made 2 new mug hugs-- a russian blue and a tea cup and saucer. i am working on a turning 20 (my first) and it will be a "turned into 25". it's all batiks and i'm trying to decide if i want to applique' it. too many ideas, not enough action! i have 2 dresses still to make, and several mug rug/hugs for dallas folk. all swaps are satisfied.
    i have to tell a fun story. dh and i went to a new restaurant for dinner and it was swamped so we had a margarita at the bar while we waited. we were perusing the menu and i saw the front-- a gorgeous collage of leaves and embellishments. dh had left his phone at home and was not into the idea of my stealing the menu, so...... i asked him to ask the lady next to him to take a pic of it. he said no, imagine! lol so i climbed down from my ridiculously high chair and went to her. i explained about being a quilter and how much i loved the design, etc. and she was happy to take the pic and e-mail it to me. now, if i only knew how to move it from e-mail to my picture file...........
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    dont u just lovvvvvve the way u find things to make a pattern for a quilt. I watch signs on the road, on br floors,pics in magazines,etc lol I have made some amazing quilts, just ask my family members . Its amost as funny as one of my daughters that saw me coming and said Mom I really dont need any more quilts. Haaaaaaaaaa.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

So... I am skipping the June challenge. Painting cloth is not my direction. I like Ricky's curved block but could not
    find the pattern to print. Bring on July. We have the extravagant fireworks display here in NYC for the 4th. Hmm...
    Dotty in NYC

JULY CHALLENGE

And here I thought we would all be getting more done these summer months than b4. Funny how life can fool you.

Since July is all about recalling history and the special times required to bring about freedom let's explore that. All over the world people yearn for 'freedom' although many of us aren't really sure how we would define that nowadays. But we know some of what that is. Being able to make personal choices is integral.

So this month how could show some aspect of 'freedom' in cloth? Slapping paint splatters and quilt around them? Cutting and appliqueing in a haphazard fashion? Depicting the struggles of people thru the ages as they fought for freedom? How about your flag of choice? Making personal fabric and sewing choices that are definitely against the accepted norm? So many ways to show this.

And remember that incorporating this idea into other projects you have on the table counts too. A mug rug with your freedom idea is fine. A July table runner with a new experimental technique, or baby Q with freedom of oddball patterns is super.

As I got onto this theme I just thought of about 6 things I'd like to do, as usual. You might have that overly active imagination too. Just pick one and get started to stretch your creativity.

We don't have fireworks here in Chile in July of course, altho the US embassy used to put on a display-- now we have austerity instead. So I may have to madly slice, splatter and ohhh! haul out that box of glitzy stuff and some steam a seam......

I will be interested to see what inspirations happen to you all on this one.

Looking for any June project photos you are finishing up too.
    Suzie

Blog Entries
    'm so far behind i'll have to make a snapdragon flag on painted fabric with sparkles!
    on a more serious note-- how do you use angelina? angelica? angela? you know. that fiberous stuff!

There is a lot of info on using Angelina on the web.
    Dotty in NYC

July Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
    There is a lot of info on using Angelina on the web.
    Retirement has given me the freedom to make quilts!
    Here is my July quilt: Celebrating with Lily".
    Enjoy, wherever you are!

Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    i just watched the nyc fireworks display. it pales compared to your ny quilt! love the statue of liberty neg/positive. she is open today for the first time since sandy. how appropriate!!

Wow. That is beautiful! I am new to art quilting, but I dug right in! I have 4 pieces in the making and none will go with this theme, so I will keep visiting to see what you all come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Delegal View Post
    Wow. That is beautiful! I am new to art quilting, but I dug right in! I have 4 pieces in the making and none will go with this theme, so I will keep visiting to see what you all come up with!
    Welcome and don't worry! Put your WIP up anyway. We'd love to see them and I am sure they will fit into the themes we've had up the last few months somewhere! LOL
    Suzie

Nov/Dec Challenge complete at last

OK this is a little embarrassing but better late than not at all, right? You recall Back in Nov/Dec?

November Challenge
    We have all had points in our lives when something happened and we were much the worse off because of it......but then...you looked around and took advantage of opportunities presented and a bad situation resolved into something unexpected but much better.........

December Challenge
    .... how about using some of your old tried out techniques in a new way to make your gifts more 'arty'?
    -----------
    We had a friend who stayed in our house while we had to go back to the US to fight with the property manager who didn't pay our US house insurance when our house burned down. We got almost nothing and he walked away with little pain as he threatened to just declare bankruptcy b4 we could get him to court and then we'd have nothing but more bills...But I still felt the friend who did such a lovely favor was due a nice winter quilt for looking after our doggie and house. So now it is cold and rainy and 30 degrees and I have finally finished up his reward.

It is scrappy but 'arty' I think and it was definitely born out of the dregs and leftovers of the house and fabrics and everything else we no longer have. So although started 6 months ago it did get done.

Suzie

Looks great! Nice one Dotty and you were so speedy. I got one one as far as the wall. Hope to be on here in a few days.
    Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
    Welcome and don't worry! Put your WIP up anyway. We'd love to see them and I am sure they will fit into the themes we've had up the last few months somewhere! LOL
    Thank you for the welcome Suzie! Well, it is a bit overwhelming. I mean the site! LOL A lot to look at. I will look for that forum and post.

Nice block quilt! Very sweet of you to make the quilt.

Dotty, how did you make the sparkles sparkley? Looks like bobbin work? It is so cool, great job.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Are there many AQ quilters here?

Blog Entries
    are you asking about the alzheimer quilts?
    welcome, tracy! can't wait to see your work! i do more talking than producing, but my heart is totally in it! currently i am taking time off from swaps and i'm working on home and family projects. i have nothing that i have quilted! i also need to do 2 birthday dresses for olivia lulu and some more doll clothes for olivia lala. and i've inherited another little girl, marin, so she will soon be getting a doll with some shorts, pj's and robe, 2 dresses and a pair of jeans and a tank top. think that's it. may make her a sleeping bag out of fleece to go with. i'm thinking of starting a site about 18" dolls, their clothes, props, whatever is interesting! i will be taking henry and another doll to texas with me as i promised lala i would. looks like the dolls rule right now, lol.
    i have made another mug hug and may post a pic of that, just for fun. my turning twenty, turned twenty-five. need still to add borders. thinking of adding an extra. we'll see. i will post pics of that too. what am i waiting for? the camera. did anyone see where i put it down?

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    are you asking about the alzheimer quilts?
    welcome, tracy! can't wait to see your work! i do more talking than producing, but my heart is totally in it! currently i am taking time off from swaps and i'm working on home and family projects. i have nothing that i have quilted! i also need to do 2 birthday dresses for olivia lulu and some more doll clothes for olivia lala. and i've inherited another little girl, marin, so she will soon be getting a doll with some shorts, pj's and robe, 2 dresses and a pair of jeans and a tank top. think that's it. may make her a sleeping bag out of fleece to go with. i'm thinking of starting a site about 18" dolls, their clothes, props, whatever is interesting! i will be taking henry and another doll to texas with me as i promised lala i would. looks like the dolls rule right now, lol.
    i have made another mug hug and may post a pic of that, just for fun. my turning twenty, turned twenty-five. need still to add borders. thinking of adding an extra. we'll see. i will post pics of that too. what am i waiting for? the camera. did anyone see where i put it down?
    LOL Thanks for the warm welcome Nanica. I was asking where the crazy art quilt(AQ)makers were. Maybe they are in this thread but hiding! (Imagining little fairy art quilters giggling behind their magic art quilts) I am just learning the "art" of art quilting. Actually I am making topers and then hope to master the free motion quilting!

Funny you should mention dolls. I have always wanted to make a cloth doll. The kind that Barbara Willis and Patti make. One day maybe.

So, where is this mug hug you speak of?

The sparkly fireworks is hand embroidery w sparkly threads.
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    the mug hug is safely sitting in my sewing room and where's my camera is a better question! lol!
    one of the things about art quilts that i love the most, is the stitching is an integral part of the design, by all means get comfortable with fmq, but there are a lot of straight lines you can use to great effect as well as echo lines. so don't let fmqing hold you back!

Thank you Nanica. Right now I am content to finish the art piece of them and then dig in!

I also can't wait to see what all you art quilters come up with doing this Challange!

Blog Entries
    I have been "Lurking here for a while, thinking that you are all so talented, but I really love "soft Art" I used to do a lot of it in the early 80's before I realized I couldn't do anything! Not sure why or how I pickd up that attitude, but I am seriously working hard to get rid of it!

I suffer from serious Migraines and sometimes the only thing that helps is just diving into a project that has no limits. Nothing that can go wrong, more or less. Yesterday was one of those days and I had this image of a quilt in my head, one that represented "Life interrupted" I could not rest, it just would not shake so I got up with head pounding, nauseous, bothered by light, the whole party! But I seriously got lost in the making of that quilt top.
    Name:  crazy quit top.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  71.2 KB
    I call it "Living with..." after I finished it I was able to fall asleep and when I woke up amazed at how closely it reflected my vision. So I posted a picture on Facebook and was really surprised that someone wanted to buy it!

If you will have me I would love to join your group, and possibly broaden my horizons. I want to have the fun that you all seem to have in here playing.

Thanks, Mb
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Quote Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
    I suffer from serious Migraines and sometimes the only thing that helps is just diving into a project that has no limits. Nothing that can go wrong, more or less. Yesterday was one of those days and I had this image of a quilt in my head, one that represented "Life interrupted" I could not rest, it just would not shake so I got up with head pounding, nauseous, bothered by light, the whole party! But I seriously got lost in the making of that quilt top.

I call it "Living with..." after I finished it I was able to fall asleep and when I woke up amazed at how closely it reflected my vision. So I posted a picture on Facebook and was really surprised that someone wanted to buy it!

If you will have me I would love to join your group, and possibly broaden my horizons. I want to have the fun that you all seem to have in here playing.
    Thanks, Mb

Are you kidding? We'd LOVE to have you!!!! We will enjoy all your experiments good and bad so we can learn from you.

Your piece is excellent and someone with good taste has shown interest so you should delight in that. I certainly get exactly where you were coming from on that one. (Been there, done that with the migranes. Ugh! Mine went away when I hit menopause though

So keep working and showing us what you are up to. I personally can't wait until you do your next one.

My next one is on the board and I can't quite decide on it's finishing. Got some idea for the quilting of the middle --but then what? As of course subject matter and fabrics are a tad strange.
    I may put it up partially done and get some feed back from everyone. Unless a midnight inspiration strikes. (One can hope.) Meantime I have three other ideas I'd like to start...always a danger for me as then none of them get completed.....

Welcome Mary Beth---would have said 'warm welcome' but you guys are too hot and I need the heat down here in the winter.
    Last edited by suziehammond; 07-21-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: grammar
    Suzie

Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast