Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-06-2020, 08:48 PM

Well done, SuzSLO! I have a lot of all these colors in stash so I should be OK but this is very helpful.

quiltsRfun....I really like your colorway. That peacock fabric is way cool..

happylab... I’m making roughly about 2/3 of her units so I’m not sure how this will come out. It will likely be very different layout since her pattern is squared so making this smaller will probably effect what the bordering pieces look like. I may end up just making all the units when all is said and done.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
On the other note, have most of the blocks for part 2 made, have a few more sets to finish. Then pressing and trimming...these blocks are so tiny they are trying to warp really hard on me thanks to all the bias. Probably going to have to press each one and weigh it down till cool to keep them flat.
I pressed my seams open on these little hour glass blocks. It helped mine from distorting and they laid flat..but, I did put them under a wood block to cool, as well..
Old 12-07-2020, 06:23 AM

I decided to jump in and have clue one sewn and clue two cut. I'm swapping brown for grey as I have lots of brown and almost no greys!

When trying to extrapolate based on yardage, one needs to consider seams and if you have a lot of smaller pieces, you can need twice as much fabric and have less visible on the front. Example, I made a quilt that was all 1.5" squares unfinished. So, for each 2.25 sq inches of fabric needed, only 1 sq inch is "visible" on the face. 55.6 % of the fabric gets used in the seams.

On contrast, if you have all 3.5" squares. for each 12.25 square inch of fabric, 9 square inches is visible, only 26.5% of the fabric is used in seams.

So, if you had a quilt that was 70" square and half was green 3" squares and half was made up of 3" four patch that were yellow and blue, taking into account that we normally list fabric in 1/4 yard increments, a pattern might say you need 2.25 yards of green and 2 yards each of yellow and blue. 2.25/2/2 ratio, which one would think means you'll have almost equal amounts of each color showing. But in the finished quilt, you'll have 2/1/1 color ratio.

So even though based on yardage, it might seem that there is going to be a lot of a specific color, it may just mean there are going to be a lot of smaller pieces (and way more seam allowance) of that color.

We do know Bonnie likes small pieces. She did say their would be some string piecing for the grey, and that is going to take up a lot of yardage in seam allowances.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I just reported this clown.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:31 AM

It's good to know we have some mathematicians in the group!

Just a note -- it was my understanding from the intro that any string piecing of gray would require additional yardage to the gray yardage listed. (The string piecing is optional.)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:20 AM

I've decided not to do this after all, but will save the clues. I have three of Bonnie's quilts I've not ever finished and at least 8 other UFO quilts in various stages of doneness. But I will check this thread regularly and cheer lead from the sides.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Okay friends, who wants to give me 40 lashes with a wet noodle?
I STILL haven't started!!!
My little online business has kept me too busy. Why can't this be the case during the year? LOL
Old 12-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
My little online business has kept me too busy. Why can't this be the case during the year? LOL
No lashing from me. Sometimes life just gets in the way. That's why we save the instructions!

Finished my half-cocked Clue 2. My gold was used to buy butter. My green parakeet became cardinal red. My pure white became sunshine.

I used Bonnie's Essential Triangle and was very pleased at the results. Nice to have a new tool that really works!
Attached Thumbnails grassycreekclue2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
No lashes from me, either!I collect the clues every year because life is just too busy in December for me to do much sewing. Then once the quilt is revealed, I decide if I want to make it....I know....that’s not the intent of a mystery quilt!
Alas, this December I have plenty of time thanks to staying safe at home, but my mojo has disappeared. Maybe I NEED to join in and start this quilt!
Glad your business is doing well!
Old 12-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
No lashing from me. Sometimes life just gets in the way. That's why we save the instructions!

Finished my half-cocked Clue 2. My gold was used to buy butter. My green parakeet became cardinal red. My pure white became sunshine.

I used Bonnie's Essential Triangle and was very pleased at the results. Nice to have a new tool that really works!
I used my go die marked 2 inch quarter triangle squares....thinking it would give me the size hourglass I needed...well...I made a practice one...glad I did...measured it...turns out to be 3.5 inches square unfinished ????? so I start to do some thinking. Found another die...this one marked 3 inch quarter triangle squares....looked closely...is the exact same size as the one marked 2 inches....OK...looks like somehow, I got one marked 2 inch...that was really a three inch....I got both of these dies years ago. so now I have to make a decision...use the die anyway and then cut down the hourglass blocks to the right size...or use another method to make my hourglass units....now I think I bought Bonnies ruler....but....I just don't know where I put it....Aughhh.....so I took the dog for a walk to clear my mind....what I have left of it. Thinking about using the die anyway and doing the trimming....I do have the folded corners ruler. I plenty of greens, yellows , and whites of which most are truly scraps from other projects so I really will not be wasting that much fabric by making them bigger and then trimming....