Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 12-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
It's precision cutting and sewing so I think it would be pretty difficult to get accurate units.
It is hard to get them right even with the templates. I've been growling a bit today!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:26 PM

I made pairs for step #1 today. Tomorrow I will turn them into 4 patches. I am a week behind, but hope to catch up by the time clue #3 comes out Friday. Other years I have kept up but this year just have lots going on. Glad it isn't a race!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
Is anyone making those triangle blocks WITHOUT the special ruler? Or the template?
Was wondering if a regular ruler could be used...
Just curious.
You could draw them and then paper piece...
Old 12-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
It is hard to get them right even with the templates. I've been growling a bit today!
They are certainly fiddly to make. And then I have had to trim all of mine once I pressed them. Hate to bother trimming small units. At least I only had 50 to make.

Alva, I love your neutrals! You quilt will be so much fun with all that detail to look at. Your magenta works really great, too.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
Is anyone making those triangle blocks WITHOUT the special ruler? Or the template?
Was wondering if a regular ruler could be used...
Just curious.
I did mine w/ just a pen, piece of paper, glue stick and regular ruler. I drew my two squares (on for the center triangle one for both side units) w/ seam allowance. Cut them out of the paper w/ care. Cut strips of fabric laid the paper on the strip and put a small spot of glue stick to keep them from moving and used a ruler and rotary cutter. The set of triangles you have to cut w/ 2 strips one right side up one upside down, cut the square then mark 1/2 inch from each side and make the diagonal cut the same direction each time. Oh and my strips of fabric were spray sized to feel like paper. lol
Old 12-03-2016, 05:03 PM

In spite of the fact that I spent much of my day doing "farm stuff", I did manage to cut out the side triangles in my "constant" color. Hopefully, tomorrow, I can get the center triangles cut. Then, with a little luck, I might also be able to piece them all before the next clue comes out.

I had a little bit of fun this morning, though... I went to the post office and picked up a new-to-me Featherweight.

And before that, I went to the meat processor and picked up 350lbs of meat from a hog we slaughtered. My freezer is so full, I had to put a couple things on top to help the lid stay shut!!

Lunch was a "sausage sandwich", because we just HAD to see how that turned out, and supper was boneless pork chops, pinto beans, potatoes and biscuits.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:10 PM

Thanks sewbizgirl, now if I can find some time to sew...lol
Old 12-03-2016, 05:41 PM

I love everyone's fabrics! So much variety and personality are coming through in all the choices!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:26 PM

Such fun seeing everyone's units! I got my clue #2 fabrics cut today, and made a sample unit, which came out right. I've been worried all along that my magenta is too dark, and it really looks dark now that it's cut. Hope it works out. I'm back working on clue #1 tonight.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 PM

I drew the Step 2 block in EQ7 and printed it in a pdf file as a PP format. Please feel free to use it. When you print it, make sure it measures 3 inches finished.
Attached Files