Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 11-01-2022, 04:12 PM

Thank you for hosting! This will be my fourth BH mystery. I love and use all three I have already completed...I may make quilts just to give away, but I make Bonnie's mystery quilts for me! The colors this year are right up my alley, because they're actually very close to the colors that inspired my bedroom's color scheme. Shades of orange, purple, and off white, only with green instead of aqua. I'm a bit strange though, orange is my favorite color! My walls have faded with time into something a bit more neutral, but when the paint was fresh, turning a light on in that room made it glow like a sunset.

I'm doing something different for me this year,and using just a single fabric for each color. I've used kits, fat quarters, and random yardage before to give it a scrappier feel and worried about how busy the end result would be the whole mystery! This time I'm keeping things simple, less to cut, less figuring to decide how long to use which fabric to get it scattered throughout the whole quilt, less scraps to keep track of....and less fabric to go searching for if I happen to run out of something.

I bought ombre fabric for all of my colors, all from the same line. I'm hoping the gradual shading of the fabric will add some movement and variation to my quilt without punching me in the face with all the business.

Good luck all!
Old 11-01-2022, 04:31 PM

I have finished two of Bonnie’s quilts, Good Fortune and Rhododendron. I didn’t like the colors either time. I was rather unhappy with both when finished if I am honest but my kids use Good Fortune as a picnic blanket on their college campus an receive loads of compliments. It’s grown on me. I still haven’t found a purpose for the Rhododendron Way one because it is so heavy and big.

This time I like the colors. Well I do hope to find some coral toned orange as opposed to orange. Not sure what I will do with it. But I will make it!
Old 11-01-2022, 04:39 PM

For those looking for the Mystery Bundles

https://www.quiltedtwins.com/shop/c/...-x66287745.htm
Old 11-01-2022, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
I bought ombre fabric for all of my colors, all from the same line. I'm hoping the gradual shading of the fabric will add some movement and variation to my quilt without punching me in the face with all the business.
origamig, what a good idea to try ombre fabric. I'll look forward to seeing how that works.

I've always wanted to try one fabric for each color, but I've never been able to find fabrics that seem interesting enough for that.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:24 PM

I kinda like the idea of working with one fabric for each color, but then I also like the idea of several shades for each color. I'm going to pull fabric to go either way depending on the clue/block. This is my 3rd BH Mystery. The past couple BH Mysteries had one fabric color that Bonnie used as a constant. I did not see that in this year's Mystery introduction. I have used a single fabric as a constant all the way through one clue and was pleased with the results. This gives up some scrappiness, but for me, it worked well.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:21 AM

I perked up when I read that some people don't like orange in their quilts. I didn't either until one year I made it a goal to incorporate orange in most of my quilts. I now like it and see how it brightens the end result. However, I did not like my rendition of Bonnie's "Good Fortune" quilt which mixed greens and reds with oranges. I gave the quilt to charity.

I'm going to sit this mystery out this time. I did that with the "Unity" quilt Bonnie offered during the pandemic and am glad I did. I waited til the end to see how it would look and ended up buying the pattern (not that expensive). Then I took my time with it, doing a clue a month, which gave me time in between to work on other projects. And it is now on our guest bed, looking great.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I may join because it's so much fun but the colors are not what I will use. My least favorite colors are orange and purple!!! I don't think I have either in my stash. However, I don't want to miss out on the fun.
Suz- thank you for hosting!
Old 11-02-2022, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

I love orange! I like to wear it, I like to sew with it, I like to see it in nature.

Just had to put that thought out into the universe.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:51 AM

I do not want to do the aqua in this. I got some of my fabrics out and I think I need to figure out a different color for aqua. Each year now I have done it with Bonnie's colors and this time I have to change it around.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
I do not want to do the aqua in this. I got some of my fabrics out and I think I need to figure out a different color for aqua. Each year now I have done it with Bonnie's colors and this time I have to change it around.

Have you seen the substitution of the color Lime? I think I'm going to replace aqua with it.