Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 11-03-2022, 02:58 AM

Petthefabric, her directions are actually quite clear and she normally gives options on how things can be done. She actually manages to remove a lot of the stress from doing quilts with little pieces and has helped me to become a much more confident quilter.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Thanks Ladies.
Her color combinations are unique… nice. The pieces seem small. The piecing seems straight forward. Were there any Y seams, or curves. No challenges there. Are there checks for size? How difficult is understanding the directions?
I agree with Mum2too - the pieces are small, usually the squares are 3-1/2" and can have four fabrics. I think I've only done one mystery where the squares were 4-1/2". But her instructions are very easy to follow. And as SuzSLO said, usually there's only one type of square per week. I usually do half the number as I make throw sized quilts. I find that quite manageable even though I often have to make more of some kinds at the end. And so far she's not used any curves or Y-seams, even though some of the quilts look curved which is a lovely optical illusion.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:38 AM

Joe’sMom and Mumto2: I loved seeing your Bonnie quilts side by side. So lovely.

I have only done the last 2: Swimmin’ Hole at Dinkey Creek (GrassyCreek) and Rhododendron Trail.

Both are more or less half-sized and I altered the colors from those suggested for Grassy Creek.

As an aside, another skill you will develop (if you haven’t already) if you participate in this thread is knowing how to post photos!
Attached Thumbnails img_0069.jpg   img_1515.jpeg  
Old 11-03-2022, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
I have finished two of Bonnie’s quilts, Good Fortune and Rhododendron. I didn’t like the colors either time. I was rather unhappy with both when finished if I am honest but my kids use Good Fortune as a picnic blanket on their college campus an receive loads of compliments. It’s grown on me. I still haven’t found a purpose for the Rhododendron Way one because it is so heavy and big.

This time I like the colors. Well I do hope to find some coral toned orange as opposed to orange. Not sure what I will do with it. But I will make it!
I did Good Fortune and Grassy Creek so that's the reason I have so much Orange fabric leftover. It's one of the only reasons I'm using her colors but I would really like to substitute the white background. I know some folks are using Green but I'm wondering about other options.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:21 AM

Default Previous Mystery

img_0193.jpgimg_0195.jpgimg_0196.jpgimg_0204.jpg

Petthefabric this is a typical type/volume of various weekly clues . I joined in "On Ringo Lake" during my 1st year quilting and learned so much from Bonnie's instructions. You do the same thing over and over - you become very accurate at the process. Additionally, it's so much fun to participate!
Old 11-03-2022, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
Attachment 641190Attachment 641191Attachment 641192Attachment 641193

Petthefabric this is a typical type/volume of various weekly clues . I joined in "On Ringo Lake" during my 1st year quilting and learned so much from Bonnie's instructions. You do the same thing over and over - you become very accurate at the process. Additionally, it's so much fun to participate!
Nice pictures. Just noticed the colorway for the Chilhowie quilt is very similar to Ringo Lake. Purple instead of the brown and orange instead of coral though.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:22 AM

You’ve been very helpful. And the eye candy is wonderful. Very inspiring. I think the pictures of the pieces in process helped me remember; I get bored with long repetitions. And I’ve got some art quilts in my queue. I’m going to bow out. Looking forward to following your progress.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
Attachment 641190Attachment 641191Attachment 641192Attachment 641193

Merkle Family, I haven't used batiks in a Bonnie quilt yet, but I love the look of your "On Ringo Lake." Maybe it's time I try that. Thanks for the inspiration!

Leslie
Old 11-03-2022, 06:40 PM

Now I am thinking about changing the colors. Maybe swapping the purple for a deep steely grey, keep the tourquoise, turn the orange to yellow. Use a solid off white for background.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
Merkle Family, I haven't used batiks in a Bonnie quilt yet, but I love the look of your "On Ringo Lake." Maybe it's time I try that. Thanks for the inspiration!

Leslie
I really liked the Batik look myself. I hope you try it and share pics of your progress! I'm loving the various ideas shared here and on other Quiltville social media. There are some beautiful fabric pairings - can't wait to see these come alive in the next few months!