Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 11-03-2022, 07:41 PM

I’m a big fan of BH but have never done the mystery although I’ve followed along for 6 or 7 years. This year I’m thinking about jumping in with batiks and am thrilled to have found Themerkelfamily’s photos. In fact, the pix have pretty much helped me decide to do it. Now it’s time to get the color chips and head to my LQS. They’ve got a nice selection of batiks.

I look forward to joining you all this year.

Oh, my avatar is BH’s Bear Branch. I’m trying to finish it up in the next few days. I’m working on the border now.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:42 PM

Can't wait to see your batiks, Janice!
Old 11-05-2022, 01:44 PM

I gave in and bought a few 1/3 yds. of dark purple at Fabric Shack. Now mulling over black or white for neutral (I've never had the nerve to go dark).
Old 11-05-2022, 04:09 PM

I’ve been to 2 fabric stores in my town and came away with nothing! To be fair, one of the shops just opened, has lots of inventory backordered still and is really not focused on quilting. This other was pretty busy and I decided I didn’t want to wait to have a quarter yard cut. I ordered a few random purples and oranges that were a good price from Quilt in a Day to add to another order I was making. I’ll start shopping in earnest later this week when a birthday lunch with a friend takes me close to a full service quilt store.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:48 AM

I've completed a couple of the mysteries and have a couple still in flimsy mode. I may trade out the purples for a Navy and use this as a constant. Since I have several Cherokee family members and the name on this mystery is from the Cherokee language, I think I have to make this one. Especially since I love BH mysteries!
Old 11-06-2022, 03:39 PM

I'm thinking of joining up this time too and just do a half size.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
I'm thinking of joining up this time too and just do a half size.
That’s what I did the last 2 years. It takes a bit more brain power because BH does not give specifics. But we can help you with advice if you get stumped. Glad to have you join.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:54 PM

I will probably do half size, too. I did that last year and it worked out well, although this one isn't as big as some have been. Planning to use batiks this time. All plans are subject to change as we go along!
Old 11-08-2022, 04:32 AM

I haven't done the last couple of mystery quilts but I thibk I may do this one. I always change the colors though. With so many people making these quilts I want mine to be different. I do like the orange, its one of my favorite colors. I usually pick at least one color to be a constant to save myself some cutting and decision making. I also have the self imposed rule to only use stash. I will spend some time this week choosing my fabrics.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:34 AM

Thanks SuzSO I'll be away from home a lot over Dec so I will have to save clues and do catch ups, I think

Last edited by m-fay; 11-08-2022 at 05:36 AM.