Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 11-10-2022, 06:10 AM

What a hoot Kalama. I knew exactly what you meant by "wormy". I have seen quilts at shows that look like that and thought I was the only one who thought that. Since Neutral takes up alot of room on this quilt, I am debating about adding more print neutrals than my usual solid neutrals.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:35 PM

Good evening. The plan is to go with batiks but I haven’t found enough to go with the handful I already have. I’m sticking with Bonnie’s color theme. Biggest problem is the white or very light batik. What I’ve found is pale green and pale blue, neither of which I want. I’m going to try another shop in Asheville next week. Might make it a half sized quilt, too.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:55 PM

Janice McC, have you considered using non-batik neutrals? I've often mixed batiks with regular quilting cottons. I don't think I've ever seen a batik that is truly white.

I've decided to use black with white prints as my neutral, or at least, to start out trying that and see how I Iike it. I'm finishing pressing my fabrics tonight. It remains to be seen if I'll be able to do much cutting due to my finicky back, but I'm hopeful it will have improved enough by first clue time.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:29 AM

I know it’s a long shot to get a very light batik I like so I’ve got some nice whites as a backup. 😀
Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Janice McC, have you considered using non-batik neutrals? I've often mixed batiks with regular quilting cottons. I don't think I've ever seen a batik that is truly white.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by woodland creature View Post
Does anyone decided on their fabric yet? This is what I am thinking. Green will be purple, gold for orange and blue for aqua. Planning on using a constant neutral.
Your colour selections are fabulous.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:07 AM

I did a first pull of fabrics and found that my blue-green fabric from my stash is all over the place: turquoise, teal, peacock, and even some aqua! I was thinking about using the “grunge” fabric between the orange stack and the purple as a constant aqua, but I don’t really like it with the orange and purples, so I think it is out. Many of my orange and purple selections are scraps about 6 x12. I plan to head to a quilt shop tomorrow and get some fat quarters in all 3 colors. I have plenty of white background neutrals.
Attached Thumbnails img_1694.jpeg  

Last edited by SuzSLO; 11-13-2022 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I did a first pull of fabrics and found that my blue-green fabric from my stash is all over the place: turquoise, teal, peacock, and even some aqua! I was thinking about using the “grunge” fabric between the orange stack and the purple as a constant aqua, but I don’t really like it with the orange and purples, so I think it is out. Many of my orange and purple selections are scraps about 6 x12. I plan to head to a quilt shop tomorrow and get some fat quarters in all 3 colors. I have plenty of white background neutrals.
Beautiful fabrics! I vote for the scrappy blues and a trip for mire fabrics because there is no such thing as too much fabric!
Old 11-13-2022, 09:39 AM

SuzSLO - I love your assortment of fabrics. Bonnie said she pushed the envelope on her colour choices as well. So you are in good company!
Old 11-13-2022, 10:37 AM

SuzSLO - great chance to purchase more fabrics! I also prefer the scrappy blues. The one at the top of the pile is my personal favorite, though, so if you like, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:11 PM

Well, I visited BH's FB page and someone posted an array of fabrics I fell in love with -- deep red, blue, and olive green with a variety of creams for the neutral, so I'm changing my choices. I started pulling fabrics like a madwoman, and this is what I came up with. I think I'm going with a constant neutral, which is lighter than the pic shows, but I do have enough if I decide to use scrappy creams. I'll decide on that later.
Attached Thumbnails bh-alternate-fabrics.jpg