Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 11-02-2022, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Belfrybat, I really like the balance of the three aquas. I'm also really quite excited about seeing how your blocks start to form as I'm reasonably new to ba tiks and am never sure how they will play with more traditional prints.
Gemm- Although the fabrics look like batiks they are a combination of Moda Marbles, Fabriquilt and Blank Fabrics. But I have combined regular woven and batiks in quilts before without any issues.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
So I went back to orig and followed the link to the mystery page! Duh!
it looks fun and if i cant figure it out i will just have another UFO that can be sent to the granddaughter for play fabrics!!!

thank you to SuzSlo
You can do this. I attempted my first BH mystery when I was a brand new quilter back in 2012 -- Easy Street. I did one third of the pieces as I wanted a smaller quilt. My eyes would glaze over at an instruction that said something like make 228 flying geese measuring 2 x 3-1/2". But you know what? I did it! It took me almost three years to finish and I ended up putting one fourth of the squares in the body and used the extra squares as a border. As a newbie, I felt like I'd climbed Mount Everest of the quilting world. And the beauty of her mysteries is she walks you through step by step. And the members of this board are great at being supportive.
Attached Thumbnails bh-mystery-easy-street.jpg  

Last edited by Belfrybat; 11-02-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Have you seen the substitution of the color Lime? I think I'm going to replace aqua with it.
No, I did not! Wow, what a great idea Toverly, thank you.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
You can do this. I attempted my first BH mystery when I was a brand new quilter back in 2012 -- Easy Street. I did one third of the pieces as I wanted a smaller quilt. My eyes would glaze over at an instruction that said something like make 228 flying geese measuring 2 x 3-1/2". But you know what? I did it! It took me almost three years to finish and I ended up putting one fourth of the squares in the body and used the extra squares as a border. As a newbie, I felt like I'd climbed Mount Everest of the quilting world. And the beauty of her mysteries is she walks you through step by step. And the members of this board are great at being supportive.
Belfrybat: I love your East Street quilt,

Even as an experienced quilter, I am intimidated when there there are so many pieces needed to complete a top. I find that the way Bonnie does her mystery quilts helps me to get over that mental hurdle. In most cases, each week the clue is for a particular unit — half quart triangles, flying geese, hourglass, etc— which simplifies the process for me. Yes, there are usually a lot of each required unit, but that is where I find using a wide range of fabric choices helps me keep the boredom from depiction at bay.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:39 PM

If you have a BH finish/flimsy would you post picture?
Old 11-02-2022, 04:14 PM

Mahalo for hosting!

I immediately fell in love with the colours.

But! I'll make a Log Cabin quilt using the purples and oranges in my stash.

For the mystery quilt, I'll substitute peaches for the oranges.

But! Our grandkids visited this summer and picked out the colours and patterns for their new quilts. So four quilts to make before tackling the mystery.

I'll follow along with all of you and save Bonnie's pdfs each week.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:43 PM

petthefabric, these are my Grand Illusion, Allietare, En Provence, On Ringo Lake, and Grassy Creek flimsies. I never finished my Good Fortune and Frolic tops. I've always gone with Bonnie's colors, except for changing my sashing color on Ringo Lake (and I regretted that).
Attached Thumbnails imgp9922_fotor.jpg   imgp1365_fotor.jpg   imgp2842_fotor_fotor.jpg   img_1472_fotor_fotor.jpg   img_6187_fotor_fotor.jpg  

Old 11-02-2022, 05:47 PM

Petthefabric, here are mine. Good Fortune and Rhododendron Way.
Attached Thumbnails 82a6ff94-12ce-451e-b603-59fb516ba248.jpeg   6a0fc769-97a3-4007-a0aa-47264143e044.jpeg  
Old 11-02-2022, 07:34 PM

Thanks Ladies.
Her color combinations are unique… nice. The pieces seem small. The piecing seems straight forward. Were there any Y seams, or curves. No challenges there. Are there checks for size? How difficult is understanding the directions?
Old 11-02-2022, 07:40 PM

Hi petthefabric. I collect all the patterns. I have never seen any y seams or curves in her directions. I believe any beginner could understand and complete her directions. She will release her first set of instructions soon and that will tell you what you need to know. She is very explicit on the sizes you are expected to get.