Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 11-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
...but the Frolic caught my eye as I remember the Blue Bonnets we seen driving from Corpus Christi to San Antonio,Tx., for about 20 some years that we lived in Corpus Christi. The Blue Bonnets had purple, blue, white and yellow in the bloom. (Beautiful to behold)
I am considering using yellow instead of the framboise.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:48 PM

The Blue Bonnets were yellow in the center, then white, blue, and purple. Indian paintbrush flowers bloomed in with the BB, and they were Raspberry red, in a row down and around the stem. Made a good contrast in the field of blue. The divided highway had miles after miles of them in the center and on each side of the highway. It is illegal to pick them or dug up any of the plants. And like Bonnie said, there are rattlesnakes in the flower beds, too. LBJ Ladybird Center has millions of them that bloom also. Just beautiful to look at; not much smell to them, as I remember.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:30 PM

We have an electric tankless system, it works well, was about $500 w/ wire and everything my husband installed it himself.

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Tankless systems should not cost that much. I have one . If your town has consistent water pressure problems, don't get it as the water needs to go through the unit with enough of a flow for the heater to stay on. You do need a gas line to the house, too. I've never seen an electric tankless system but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I'm looking forward to seeing your dying experiment! The first batch of dyeing is impressive!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 PM

My sister had her tankless system professionally installed. It was $4,000.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I'm in too. My stash only needs the raspberry. I'm taking her Smith Mountain Morning class at Shipshewana in about a week. Oh happy day. I've waited about 3 or 4 years to get in. I just missed it last time she was here. So I decided to practice the Smith Mountain Morning. I'll do the 4th one in class and it will be tarnished gold and green. I hope anyone on this board who is taking the class will let me know who they are. I already know two.
I looked for your red SMM blocks in the video from the class....you must have that pattern floating around in your head all night after making three of them.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Love those fabrics, QuiltingVagabond!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:47 PM

QuiltingNinaSue - If you really don't like pink - in any shade - you definitely want to switch that color out. Looking at the amounts of the different fabrics, it is one of two (blue being the other) that will dominate the quilt. What about the red I see peeking out, or the yellow? Although it is really hard to tell, between lighting/camera/monitor, the green in the 2nd group looks dull. If nothing else, I would try the store green with your stash fabrics.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 PM

I don't know why I didn't think to check here in the challenges section for this year's mystery. This group always has great info and suggestions.

My first big quilt was a BH mystery, Carolina Christmas. Have made many since; I usually switch the colors out, based on what I have, what I like, and not wanting a quilt so similar to so many others. This year, though, I'm going pretty closely to BH's suggestions. Kind of, lol.

I did get the paint chips, and love them all except the framboise. That I am switching to a more cherry color. And my dark blues are the color of the chip, but seem way too dark for blue bonnets?

The day of first clue we will not be home. Arrive home Sunday, I think, so will sew like the wind to get that clue done before the next. Then home for 2 clues and gone for the next 3 (including reveal)! Airline I am traveling on has generous bag allowance, and could take a small machine as carry on, but will be in a 2 br condo w/ DD and her family. Am I really going to be sewing when there is an almost 4-year old and an 18 mo old? Decisions, decisions. Someday, I will be home for most of the mystery!

My fabrics (have not yet pulled neutrals, but that is not a problem).
Attached Thumbnails fabrics-2-.jpg  
Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 AM

super nice selection Peace and joy, I particularly like how dark the blue is for contrast. And good difference between the light blue and the aqua, well done! I still haven't decided but am still leaning to shirts. Shirts are like 30's fabrics though, there isn't a lot of contrast except in colors, not shading.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 AM

Peaceandjoy, I thought the same thing about the navy. It doesn't seem very bluebonnet like. But I agree with KalamaQuilts, it's probably there for contrast. Your cherry colors pop too, I think it will be great.