Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 11-28-2019, 04:39 AM

I am a newer quilter and have not participated in a mystery quilt. I think I have decided to dive in. What pushed me over the line is Kamalaquilts comment about her friend’s improved piecing, I am looking to take it to the next level and maybe this will help. I don’t have a large stash and have been working diligently to reduce what I have and so I will need to purchase at least half of the required fabric....maybe I will find some Black Friday deals that work for me. The attached picture is of a duvet cover I own. I have been planning on making a quilt using this colour scheme for some time and was struck by the similarities with BH’s palate. My plan is to switch out aquas for pink, does anyone see a problem with that? I would like to play along as the clues are revealed but have a few Christmas gifts I need to get quilted and am not sure about time. My second question is can folks here give me a broad estimate of how many
hours per week are involved? I realize skill levels vary, hence the ‘broad’.

��[ATTACH=CONFIG]620309[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 7dea2aed-dec1-4b3d-9fc4-1e9b5a03639b.jpeg  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Everyone's colors are looking great! Hard as I try, I can't get into this one. I may improvise as I go along. I liked BH suggestion to only make 12 of each to see how it went together.
Improvisation is good, especially with a mystery! I'm curious about your comment that Bonnie suggested making 12 of each step. I've read the instructions and didn't seen that. For those wanting a smaller quilt she suggests making 1/2 the units. Since she often works in hundreds of units, I can't see making 12 will end up with enough to make even a table topper.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:15 AM

Love that mix of colors Catti, would you use black as the constant?
Depending on whether you just make 12 units of each clue, or 160 of each unit for a king size is where the time comes in.
The real time comes after the reveal and the assembly begins for me.
But if I had to guess based on faulty memory, I'd say 4-8 hours a week.
And it also depends on how organized Once I've chosen my fabric I starch and press about a foot of each, and accordian fold the balance, stack with the pressed bits smooth and ready to be chosen. But I have a nice big cutting table. So that has to count as time too, but I don't...
Is the sewing area ready to sit down and sew once the cutting is done?
You get the idea...does your work day begin when you get up, or when you sit down behind your desk or get on the forklift?
But I'd say 4-8 hours a week
Old 11-28-2019, 07:03 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

The suggestion of 12 units was for those who were not planning to make all the units for a single step—just to become comfortable with the construction of that unit. Then, as time permits, go back and complete the clue.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:25 AM

Just one more day til the fun starts! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Cattitude, doing a mystery project can be daunting. But yes, our skills can improve and we are paying attention since we don't know the outcome. For those of us who have been solo quilters, it can be quite fun to do a sew along.

I love your inspiration fabric. I'd say go ahead and switch out the aqua to pink if it makes you happier. Worst thing is that you don't really like the outcome, but hey -- you don't know what the outcome is supposed to be so it's not your fault. Sometimes the fabric selections of the participants show secondary designs that didn't come out in the designed version.

I know one of the things I've learned from mysteries and exchanges is that I don't have to be so control freaky (I still am but I don't have to be...). It's a good thing to learn.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Change my fabric one last time. I went with some fabrics from both fabric groups. I’m walking fabric now. No more fabric changes for me. I’m going withwhat I have (at least until tomorrow). LOL! last year I switched out 2 fabrics after the reveal. I really liked my changes from last year.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:24 AM

What time does the mystery go online tomorrow? Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2019, 01:03 PM

I can’t wait to return home and shop my stash...I’ll be running a bit behind but it has been an amazing month in California with my kids and new grandbaby.

Thank you Iceblossom for mailing me the color cards. I love seeing what everyone is pulling for fabric for this project.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:07 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
What time does the mystery go online tomorrow? Happy Thanksgiving!
Usually about 9:00 a.m.