Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 12-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Since I had to make a few more triangles, I did the "jog over" technique using my 1/4" quilting foot so I could take a picture. Typically I use light grey/slate blue and beige threads to piece with, I have one color on top and one in the bobbin. They do well with scrap quilts and mostly disappear so you can't see the grey line I sewed first. Again, if you don't have a foot that gives you a good seam allowance on both sides, I really recommend drawing the lines to the left.

I changed to the rusty color -- you can see that clearly! While I did this with squares, I mostly use it when I'm doing a bunch of triangles into HST... turn every other one so it's a straight run -- you might still get a couple sucked down into the plate, but not nearly as many as otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5423.jpg  
Old 12-19-2019, 04:35 PM

I am so Loving this Frolic mystery, Bonnie really is awesome!
Old 12-19-2019, 06:10 PM

So glad your surgery went well, craft! Wishing you a quick recovery.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:49 AM

Clue 4, Happy Frolicing

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019...ry-part-4.html
Old 12-20-2019, 06:03 AM

I am starting to think that my choice of using yardage for each color may be a bit boring and/or not show the design well. I know that others have done that in the past and wonder how they felt about the finished project. Will it work??
Old 12-20-2019, 06:06 AM

Took me just a bit to understand what I'm doing this week, but I'm ready to bring out the aqua. I'm going with her comment in the intro that they are color of April skies, well the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle, so again a bit of a difference in my color range.

Hopefully I will get a correct count this week, it's different enough I think not to confuse me, but then I'm easily confused

I'm enjoying how the "two" blues are used to get one range of colors, it's working well with my bag of fabric.

Edit: I'm still going to use the square method, think it will be easiest to cut, but I'm not making my HST as big as last week!

Back to my aqua fabrics -- have a good day all!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-20-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Carol, don't worry about only using one fabric per color - in the past that has not been a problem and sometimes it's better than the scrappier version.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Yeah, I was ready for this one this week. I cleared my calendar except for a haircut at noon. I'll be sewing all day after that. It's heart warming to think of all of y'all sewing away in you sewing rooms too. I'm still sticking with my multi colored batiks, but I will switch to multi colored pastel batiks for the aqua. Hard not to use aqua exclusively it's my favorite color. Anyway, mine won't look like flowers but it will be interesting in the end. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:12 AM

As I'm working on this week's clue, I'm doing small batches. I only have about 5 aquas (and have used one up) and the way some of these hand dyes shift colors, it can be confusing what is what.

What I've found so far is following the dimensions Bonnie gives for the quarter square triangles, I cut one strip of that and one strip of the slightly oversized strip that I'm using, and it works out pretty well in terms of matching the number of units needed, especially if you have WoF. Unfortunately for me, most of my pieces started out as odd sized fat quarters for the most part. Today though, I am using some full widths -- hooray!

I can say my pile of usable pieces is being used up! And yes, I still have many reservations about my fabrics (today's is not enough variety in the aquas, and goodness, that piece is so green). Carol, stay strong and keep moving forward.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Ugggg...... I have to say that I really dislike (bordering on hate) the easy angle and companion rulers. I can never get accurate finished unit when I use those. I'm not sure if it's the bias edge or what, but it just doesn't work for me. So now I'm in the conundrum of do I cut the triangles anyways and pray that I can get them to work? Or do I just wait until the clue that we use them in and figure out the best way for me then?

The reason I'm concerned is I bought fabric specifically for this mystery and don't have extra and really don't want to buy more if I can help it. And I don't want to have to remake a bunch of units because I can't get the bias edges to work for me.