Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 12-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!

I have a low key day as well, we celebrated on Christmas Eve this year. I settled in the sewing room with a cup of coffee before everyone in the house was awake and sewed away!
Old 12-25-2019, 12:05 PM

Rob just put a small lamb roast in, a first try for us, and made his first batch of dressing, smells delicious.
I've spent the morning playing with this pattern https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...Spoolblock.pdf
using selvedges for the thread, fun!

all the best to everyone, Sharyn
Old 12-25-2019, 01:21 PM

Merry Christmas everyone. I am also spending part of the day in the sewing room. DH is watching some weird movie. LOL. I used all the strips I had cut and still only had 22 sets, so I've been scrambling all thru my stash for aquas. I have had to leave the very pale part behind as I just don't have enough of that. Now my aquas are ranging from pale to medium, but I'm making sure there is plenty of contrast in each set. I'm pairing the darker aquas with darker blues so it's still working, I think. Not nearly enough of them will cut into an 18" strip so I'm doing pieces parts to get the length I need on many of them. It's working ok, just making more and more scraps. LOL, since I love scrappy, that should make me happy.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:04 PM

I’m worried that my aquas are too dark but *sigh* it’s what I have so I’m going to go for it. We’ve had a full evening/day full of family and are resting up now. Maybe I’ll be able to convince hubby to help work on cutting clue 4 tonight. I did get a quilt kit for Christmas that has a ton of fabric in it, I could look through it for some lighter aqua...

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2019, 05:47 PM

Merry Christmas everyone. I love to see the progress made by everyone. I am still working with clue 3, looking at clue 4 and knowing clue 5 is coming this Friday. So I will continue to inch my way through each clue until it is done, and inch my way forward. I like what I am doing and having fun with each step. I did order Bonnie Hunter's rulers and will try to work with them. Tomorrow we celebrate with husband's brother and Sunday with his cousin and wife. That gives me more time to sew in between the two days and next week.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:41 PM

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We will be having ours on Saturday, due to our kids' work schedule. I have only managed to cut half of the needed pieces for Clue 4, so I probably won't be done in time for number 5. I have been having the same problem as several of you, not being able to find light aquas. Every time I think one will work, I second-guess myself into thinking it's either regular blue or too green. I will just have to make sure I have enough contrast with my real blues.

Leslie
Old 12-26-2019, 04:11 AM

NinaSue, you will not be sorry having BH’s ruler. I purchased mine 3 or 4 years ago and still find it handy for HSTs and this is the first time I’ve used it for QSTs.

Luckily aqua is one of my favorite colors so I have plenty...it’s the framboise/raspberry color that I’m short on. I just got a yard in the mail to add to my BH pile. Quiet Christmas Day at our home as our kids live in other states.
I had plan to finish Clue 4 yesterday but DH decided he needed my help cleaning out his wardrobe closet...I was happy to help since he rarely ever gets in a cleaning mood and has hung on to too many old sweaters over the years. I only have about 11 more sets of Clue 4 to chain piece and trim my dog ears.

Today I am taking a horse back riding lesson...I haven’t been on a horse in years and it’s going to be a chilly day here.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:37 AM

horseback riding lesson! well done you! I was just thinking, our doctors always ask just how much exercise we are getting. In the summer lots! in the winter...some days I don't even leave the house.

Our lamb roast was... well the meal was good but we won't be doing lamb roasts again, was a bit like real lite liver. Rob learned to like lamb when he visited Australia so we've tried a few different things, all good.

I expect if your blues are darker than your aqua sets you will be happy with the outcome. Don't stress, it's all good!
Old 12-26-2019, 11:19 AM

I'm sad to say it has made me feel a bit better with other people stressing about their aqua mix... at least I have company in my squirming.

I had a lovely quiet day yesterday, "family Christmas" was cancelled for a number of factors, some of my Aunt's family is getting together Sunday but I don't think I want to make the drive. My hubby and I have this thing about "firsts" in our relationship and after 15 years they are getting rarer, but yesterday was a first for each of us and both of us together, with no family meal we went out to have Chinese food. It was lovely. Not one of our hole-in-the-wall local favorites, but a large upscale (expensive) Buffet. And then we played our on-line computer game since we didn't have 4-5 hours of traffic to contend with.

Today he's back at work and I'm getting ready for the next clue tomorrow. I've cleaned out my sewing kit and am working on all the junk on the dining room table, the cutting mat is neat and tidy, it's all the stuff on the sides that need to go. I'm just going to keep telling myself that all of these fabrics will go together just fine in the end. I made early decisions to expand my color groups to values. My favorite week so far though (by far!) was the Neutral/HST combos of Week 3, Week 2 I was also pretty happy with. I'm hoping we get to the Parakeet this week, in my colors it is really my lightest group and it's too late to back out now!
Old 12-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Iceblossom, your units are looking wonderful thus far, and I think it's going to be an amazing and vibrant quilt. And to think of all the extra work you did preparing your fabric!

I just spent some time taking and downloading pictures of my greens. Sometimes a photo really helps me understand what looks best. So I've shelved the idea of going scrappy with the green and also of using this green I found in my stash which I loved the idea of using because it was a print with aqua and white (but I had to admit it didn't look that good). So I'll go constant with the green I bought.