Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 08-19-2023, 05:59 PM

Happylab, Fabric is fabric and stash is stash. Although we are trying to not build our stash, aren't we just as interested in moving fabric out in the form of quilts or donations? I am. Count the gift from you sister as a blessing and sew it up and send it out the door. You will have the joy of new fabric without spending a penny at a shop. (Sorry shop owners).
Old 08-21-2023, 05:02 PM

With work keeping me busy, I have turned to lurking, rather than conversing with all of you. I will say that I have been off the wagon more than riding in it. My last hop off was over a month ago when I stopped at my LQS for backing fabric. What I found when I walked in was a massive store wide sale to help reduce inventory to make room for new fabric. Half the store was at 50 - 75 % off and the other half was at $2.50 - $1.50 per yard. I got the backing fabric I needed as well as some other wanted/needed fabric.
Here's a picture of my Bonnie Hunter Unity quilt that I just got back from my longarm quilter today. My quilt inspector is still testing it for snuggliness as I type this post.

opps ....... forgot to add that this was done completely using only my stash
Attached Thumbnails img_1031.jpeg  

Last edited by Sync; 08-21-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:24 AM

Had to jump off the wagon yesterday to purchase a back for a quilt. The first back I purchased was calculated incorrectly, the fault of both the sales person and myself, so I had to search out another. I will use the first back for another quilt or two. Wink,Wink. This time I purchased a wide back because my first choice was nearly twice the cost as the wide back so I am justifying here. Back on the wagon again and enjoying the ride around Shipshewanna. Went to three quilt shops and only jumped off the wagon one time to purchase my wide back. Yeah, me!.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:59 AM

Sync, I wouldn't have resisted such a great sale, either. Love that photo, and congratulations on a beautiful quilt (and kitty)!
Old 08-22-2023, 04:15 PM

Sync -- your quilt is lovely and the cat is gorgeous! Congrats on finding such a great sale!

with regards to the moratorium, I have a cart ful of Marshall Dry Goods halloween fabric at 1.99/yd that I have waiting for me. I have no plans for it. This would definitely be a stash purchase and I am not, NOT going to get more stash just cause i may use it one day. Thank you for the guidance all of you! I have no time to do anything with fabric besides wash it these days anyway. No more stash growth until I finish some of my UFOs and WIPs. I will be strong....
Old 08-26-2023, 06:59 AM

Sync, such a lovely finish. I saved the pattern, but haven’t started it yet. the fabric sale you stumbled onto was great. I probable would have bought more fabric too. It’s like a kid in a candy store.

Well, I’m a week away from combing my sisters fabric stash into my stash. She liked warm colors and I like cool colors, so colors I lacked in my stash I now have. She bought reds, pinks, orange, greens and yellows. So I do not need to buy anymore fabric. I guess it’s time to start sewing again. There was only about 5 UFO’s in all of the boxes. I will finish those and give away to family or charities.

I have a few questions. I read yesterday on Facebook, some quilter’s sew baby quilts the size of throws and twin size. The logic is the baby can keep the quilt longer as they grow, (pics of 5 & 6 year olds still using the baby quilts). I was wondering what would be the best batting to use for the quilts so they could use them all the time? I used to use polyester batting, but now told 80/20 is better. My only issue with 80/20 batting, i shouldn’t wash in hot water or dry in drier. Using polyester I can wash in hot water and throw in the drier. The only draw back is having the quilt get near a fire. I also wonder what size do you make your baby quilts? Just curious.

Well have a great weekend everyone. It’s game 3 of pre-season Chief’s football game today. Yea!! I so enjoy watching football and doing sewing.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:46 AM

I only sew for Project Linus and use 82/20 batting. Quilts are usually 42X54 or a little larger.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:08 AM

I've spent some time catching up with what you all have been doing while I've been gone -- lots of great work and resisting temptation!

Part of the reason I needed to be gone was I always get so much inspiration from this thread and I didn't need the distractions of "oh! I have perfect fabric for that!" I needed to keep on the straight and narrow and with everything packed for the last year+ I was able to not buy any fabric at all for quite some time. Didn't use up any but I didn't add any to the stash either...

After some 20 years together, hubby and I went to our first quilt show together yesterday. He was good company but was surprised in the guild bazaar section to see UFOs and bags of scraps -- silly hubby, he said "I didn't expect to see things like that" to which I replied "oh it's one of the better places to find them!" Anyway, made it out of the vendor section and the bazaar with lots of appreciation for some of the newer lines but no purchases.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:29 AM

So good to see you, Iceblossom!
Old 08-28-2023, 02:03 PM

I stayed on/in the wagon. I needed 2 backings. Went 'round and round in my head trying to justify buying fabric. Kept looking at my stash and finally decided I could use it and not buy anything new. It was difficult, but shouldn't be to keep from buying something new. I'm beginning to feel like a hoarder. Anyone else?