Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
FFC -- One FQ:  "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c >

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

Old 06-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Oh my, MaryKatherine - that is just awesome!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 PM

That's a stunning bird MaryK ! ! How long did it take you? Did you design it yourself?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:07 AM

Thank you Anael. This piece took 5 days. Its bigger than I usually do. I started with a picture of a Mallard duck and changed it to a Canada Goose. This is my retirement. Gardening, Quilts and Art Pieces, and particularly now I'm a Sports Widow.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:54 AM

Absolutely amazing MaryKatherine.
And just in time for our Canada Day, too.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

MaryK ... Your goosey gander is absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!
Beyond belief!!!!!

What a way to "have" to spend some time ... where abouts on the Bay were you? Gorgeous view ... and I sure like your cottage style breakfast! Glad that Jane was able to join you ... noticed how coordinated you were (clothing and block colours!)

My comment about the geese .... near Ottawa, there was a lady attacked by a Canada Goose while riding her bicycle. Then there was the motorcycle cop that crashed into one and they had to amputate his leg. Of course, we see enough of them around Guelph and area, too, don't we? They really are not so cute and nice!

I've had a good productive quilty few days. It's been so nice to get so much time in.
Will soon have some DJ pics to show of my June progress.
Today, I think I had better get focusing on the shower gift I need for Sunday.

Happy Canada Day!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 AM

Right.... the geese. We were warned as children never to go near geese as they could peck out an eye and their wings could break your arm. We've become so complacent lately about all the wild life, including the fox and the coyotes.
But thanks for the kudos. My SIL has a cottage near Thornbury, between Owen Sound and Collingwood. They are gracious enough to invite us up ALL the time but we go maybe 4 times a year. We only ever stay overnight but the drive is only two hours and the backroads are never crowded. The scenery through Beaver Valley is ALWAYS spectacular. In fact one of my first art pieces I did was of an orchard in Beaver Valley.
Attached Thumbnails hockley-valley-2ps.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

MaryK ... What a grand picture ... and complete with some old apples still hanging. So typical of that area, with the mountains in the background. A nice/easy drive indeed which makes it a little easier to manage than the 400 cottage trek! Another time when you are in the area, check out The Fabric Shoppe in Meaford. Current fabrics, with some older ones too ... and good prices (as in less than we see around here!!). Something needs to be done about the Canada Geese and perhaps with these two recent incidents, in particular the OPP, it might bring it to the forefront. Wildlife protection is important ... however, when it becomes a danger to the humans, it is not always such a good thing!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 AM

I think the problem is partially with the bozos that teach their kids to feed them. They are soooooooo cute as goslings until momma goes after you. It's also an offshoot of no dogs running, ie no predators to beware of. Coyotes are trapped and shot on site and if you see a fox everyone assumes they're rabid. etc. We don't really have a good sense of where our responsibilities lie. (Don't get me started on the mice and the voles and the chipmunks in my garden because no one lets their cat out!!)
Well we could debate this one for ages. BUT I have a quilt to finish for a customer today. YOU enjoy your holiday!
MK
Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

MaryK ... no debate here! We are talking from the same soapbox. Though we didn't mention about the problems they have been to farmers for years .... of course that was of no concern to anyone other than farmers! Or the deer and their infestation! Finish the quilt ... and then celebrate Canada Day with some wine and Jane!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 AM

MK your work is awesome. I'm especially fond of Beaver Valley because, believe it or not I live in Beaver Valley--Pennsylvania, but still it's Beaver Valley.

Happy Canada Day to you all.

I am not fond of geese at all. My sister had geese at her place and they'd run up behind you and bite you on the butt!! I'd go home from there with some really weird looking black & blue marks.