Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
FFC -- One FQ:  "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c >

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by works4me View Post
QuiltE - Thank you. With all the Aurofil thread I bought late last year, something was bound to co-ordinate. As to the accountant crack, was there a point?
Really? That's Aurifil thread? Looks like DMC floss ... IOW ... looks fantastic!!! I hadn't thought about using my Aurifil for applique. Hmmmm ....

And we stand together against the comic Canuck and her counting cracks (say that fast three times) ... another Accountant waving at you!!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
DDamsel, DHMom and Anael ... maybe the three of you should have a challenge on that completion? and for the innovations you can do with the orphans?
Orphans? We don't have orphans ... we have MISSING blocks.

Hmm ... maybe I'll check the back of a milk carton!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Really? That's Aurifil thread? Looks like DMC floss ... IOW ... looks fantastic!!! I hadn't thought about using my Aurifil for applique. Hmmmm ....

And we stand together against the comic Canuck and her counting cracks (say that fast three times) ... another Accountant waving at you!!!!
Thank you. I thought about floss but opted for 2 strands of Aurofil instead. Bonus is that it doesn't seem to tangle as easily as floss.

I keep saying that people frown on accountants being creative at work so we have to have hobbies and a bit of the accountant MUST seep in. I adore QuiltE and a lot of it is because of her sense of humour.

Last edited by works4me; 05-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Whew! I don't think W4Me is upset with me! ... yes, just having some fun with you! The truth is, you do have a good handle how long things take, and so many have absolutely no clue! I suspect, you have the same data as to costs? And totally respect you for it. What weight Aurifil did you use? I'm guessing some of the heavier ones? Which gives me an idea of where I might use some of the 35wt thread (non Aurifil, forget the brand)

DHMom ... Yes, I think you just created a new tongue twister! No doubt you are practicing to master it! Truth be known, IRL, I am far from being the comic. Now go W4Me and ask her the #s about MIIHO!!!!! Of course, I'm visualizing the accountant in you with spreadsheet for each of your herd members, to track time and materials. Did that on the farm for the equipment... and don't miss it one iota!!!

As for the missing blocks ... check your OnStar advisories with the Amber Alerts!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM

What a great idea! And how very sweet of you!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm visualizing the accountant in you with spreadsheet for each of your herd members, to track time and materials. Did that on the farm for the equipment... and don't miss it one iota!!!
Nope, not the machines. But I do have scads of photo's ... a folder labeled "Vintage Ladies" and folders within for each machine, and folders within for each machine part, and photo's within that for before and after. No need for spreadsheets ... but my photo's are all neatly organized. Mostly because when I take stuff apart I want to know how to put it together again

However ... spreadsheets galore when I was still breeding dogs. Pedigree's, vertical pedigree's, inheritance percentage logistics, puppy weight charts, puppy temperament test results, and puppy evaluations.

[QUOTE-QuiltE;6096339] As for the missing blocks ... check your OnStar advisories with the Amber Alerts! [/QUOTE]

Amber Alerts ... I'll check those.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Whew! I don't think W4Me is upset with me! ... yes, just having some fun with you! The truth is, you do have a good handle how long things take, and so many have absolutely no clue! I suspect, you have the same data as to costs? And totally respect you for it. What weight Aurifil did you use? I'm guessing some of the heavier ones? Which gives me an idea of where I might use some of the 35wt thread (non Aurifil, forget the brand)
Never seen 35wt anything ... 30 and 40 ... oh and 25 and 12 ... but not 35.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by works4me View Post
I keep saying that people frown on accountants being creative at work so we have to have hobbies and a bit of the accountant MUST seep in. I adore QuiltE and a lot of it is because of her sense of humour.
That describes me to a T. I've always been a creative person and ached to enter art school (but was discouraged by my art teacher who said "your going to starve" ... that's a pretty rude awakening <g>). I had several serious hobbies as creative outlets, mostly breeding dogs (it's a science and an art!).

Recently I've been struggling at work because I'm just so TIRED of accounting. It's boring me to pieces. I scour the want ad's for a job working with my hands, creating, repairing ... something tangible. So ... I buy and fix up old sewing machines until a famous quilter knocks on my door and says "I need an assistant, I'll pay you and give you benefits". Don't worry ... I'm not quitting my day job yet.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Never seen 35wt anything ... 30 and 40 ... oh and 25 and 12 ... but not 35.
Just remembered the name ... Valdani (I think?)
I used it for some quilting ... lovely, but OMG, any boo-boos, showed like crazy! So I decided for now, I would not use again, til I was more adept and wanted the quilting to actually show front row and centre.

The paperwork for the puppies was vital!

Time to get the creative juices flowing for the work front ... how about building a sewing repair business?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:25 PM

I am not going to get my project finished by June 1 but I have started it.

Got home from being with one set of grandkids. I am going to take the other 3 to the Farmers' Market tomorrow . I may get some work done on it after I get home. I have 10 days before we are needed to help out again so I hope to be productive. Lots of rain in the forecast so I may have pictures of my project shortly.

There sure is a variety of really gorgeous things being created with your fabric, QuiltE!!