Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-12-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
Just printed off clue 3 and off to work. Can't wait to get home and start. My greens look a little more yellow than Bonnie's and I now wish my neutrals were white rather than cream colored for the backgrounds. I'm sure it will all be fine but I so love her colors and cute white backed neutrals.
Wish I had gone with WHITE neutrals too! I went with totally tan and cream , now I'm second guessing! Tried to add some whites, they stand out like a sore thumb!!! This is my first MQ!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Just printed off clue #3 too and can't wait to spend an hour or so later checking out what greens I have pulled from the stash.... seems so long ago. Step #2 is just needing the final press... don't know how you working ladies are keeping up, I'm retired & spending tons of time on this! It's so neat to see everyone's projects... Bonnie is a generous soul!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Loving this.....totally loving this....dancing from the cutting table to the Ironing board, and back.....I have tons of greens
Green is what I look at first on quilt runs....this is a great 'unit' and this time I have variety !
Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
If you're watching the videos on a tablet, maybe you can lock the screen rotate option then turn it over? One gray thing about lefties for my kids is that it was easier for them to learn to tie their shoes. They could watch me at the same time and not try to turn it around in their heads lol. It was so much harder with my right handed kiddos lol
What I great idea! I didn't know you could lock the ipad so it's didn't turn over!! I had a hard time teaching my kiddos how to tie. they are both right handed.

I'm off to check out week three! Even though I haven't started week two. Everyones comments are very encouraging!!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
Loving this.....totally loving this....dancing from the cutting table to the Ironing board, and back.....I have tons of greens
Green is what I look at first on quilt runs....this is a great 'unit' and this time I have variety !
I have fewer greens that the other colors. Maybe another shopping trip is in order.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Just printed off clue #3 too and can't wait to spend an hour or so later checking out what greens I have pulled from the stash.... seems so long ago. Step #2 is just needing the final press... don't know how you working ladies are keeping up, I'm retired & spending tons of time on this! It's so neat to see everyone's projects... Bonnie is a generous soul!
I work and am keeping up. BUT, started decorating my tree and only put up about half the ornaments and only have one wreath outside. Bought all my cookies at a cookie walk. This has been the BEST thing to simplify my Christmas. No one, other than me, really cares and my excuse to myself is that I'm working on my mystery quilt. So peaceful and enjoyable.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Is everyone actually printing off ALL the instructions.

Seems a slight waste of paper and ink. Has anyone condensed each week to a page or two successfully? I guess with the different options for each block that's not possible. I'm just thinking aloud trying to save on resources (so I can but more fabroc of course).

Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post

Seems a slight waste of paper and ink. Has anyone condensed each week to a page or two successfully? I guess with the different options for each block that's not possible. I'm just thinking aloud trying to save on resources (so I can but more fabric of course).

Any thoughts?
I thought that too but as it is in Adobe I don't know how to take out pages or edit, not like word, my paper file that I have opened looks as though it will only do for these 3 possible a fourth clue and then I will have to open another folder, but seeing it's a generous free gift from Bonnie it's a small gripe.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Seems a slight waste of paper and ink. Has anyone condensed each week to a page or two successfully? I guess with the different options for each block that's not possible. I'm just thinking aloud trying to save on resources (so I can but more fabroc of course).

Any thoughts?
I email the clue link to myself and open it with my ipad and save it to my homescreen. That way I always have it handy to open and work on. Saves ink and I most likely will never make another one of this pattern anyway, not at my age,lol. I do this with lots of tutorials and patterns. I really enjoy using my tablet like this. No hunting and searching for paper patterns printed and forgotten.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Any thoughts?
You can select which pages to print, I printed 2-6 on this clue. I'm not printing the nice pretty picture at the beginning or the closing remarks. I like to work from a printed page rather than the ipad or computer screen... can't imagine making the quilt more than once either :-)