Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-03-2015, 07:18 PM

DogHouseMom - this is the first time in the five years I have been doing Bonnie's Mystery Quilts that I have heard so much discussion in the negative about her quilt. I have to agree that it is very busy, and I am having trouble with it as well.

Here is a photo of what I am playing with. I turned the black to the inside as well, and lined up the yellow squares in a row. Lots of decisions. Have not tried different cornerstones yet.
Attached Thumbnails img_0249.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 07:22 PM

earthquake here
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM

Hold on Sun! Hope all is well.

I'll be glad when Bonnie opens the link thing on Monday. It will be interesting to see how many are making her quilt without changes.
I haven't done any more on mine. Still thinking about it.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Just checked on the earthquake. 4.5 Was it scary? I can't imagine having that going on so often.
I have done several of the mq's here on the board. I've never seen anyone complain about the pattern. This is my first BH mq. I can't believe how many people are complaining on facebook. I hope Bonnie doesn't see all that.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM

I'm thinking about changing out my diagonal blocks with white on white. I did for one block and it shows up so much better. Wish I could post a picture here but it's not accepting my i-Pad pics today.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
earthquake here
Yep, my husband said the same thing - 4.6 near Lake Piru!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 PM

I finished the top today. I am not going to put the pieced border on since I think it is too busy for me already. I thought I allowed for the busyness of Bonnie's quilts by using single fabrics for the black, white, yellow and blue (substitute for green). The only scrappy colors are pink and aqua. It is still way busier than my usual style. I'm planning to bind it as is in yellow.

I did the pattern as Bonnie designed. I knew going into this experience that I was not going to be comfortable - I don't like scrappy or patterns with a zillion little pieces, but I thought it was a good opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone. Changing the pattern seems counterproductive to that goal. I have a niece expected in the spring - this will be her quilt.
Attached Thumbnails mq-final.jpg   mq-close.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Bonnie has a more blended look in her sashing block area than many people are getting. Her greens are lighter, her neutrals are varied and her aqua is warm and light. Warm blue is close to green on the color wheel, and warm green is close to yellow, and to me, it all blends and shimmers and is not stressful to look at. I think this area is the resting place in her quilt, but in many of the others, that isn't translating and so people are left without a resting place. I don't know if that will work in mine; I'll have to wait and see.

I hope all is well, Sunliten.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Got the first row done...I will make 3x3 with my own added borders. I used the black for the corner squares & it toned it down alot. I used the inspiration fabric for the quilt in the center & it will also be the outer border. I will used the black as inner border so the eye can stop. I will use leftovers top & bottom for an extra row each to make it longer. Luckily I used a lighter shade of green. The 2nd pic is the square & shows the fabrics alittle better. The last pic is the actual inspiration fabric. I think doing it this way will be more pleasing to my eye. I will work more slowly on it now, though, cuz I have several baby quilts I need to get made before mid-Feb. I will keep watch on the thread in the meantime to see everyone's finishes & post my finish when done; though it may be a few months till that's done...
Attached Thumbnails bhmq-grand-illusion-1st-row.jpg   bhmq-grand-illusion-block.jpg   bhmq-grand-illusion-center-inspiration-fabric-quilt.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504634[/ATTACH]
Here's my progress on assembling my blocks today. I'm planning to make two quilts - one with 16 blocks and the other with 9. This is the beginning of the larger one.
Attached Thumbnails grand-illusion-assembly-2.jpg