Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
Just checked on the earthquake. 4.5 Was it scary? I can't imagine having that going on so often.
I have done several of the mq's here on the board. I've never seen anyone complain about the pattern. This is my first BH mq. I can't believe how many people are complaining on facebook. I hope Bonnie doesn't see all that.
I hope she does read all the comments as an opportunity for increasing awareness thru constructive critiques. I think the color choices for an intricate quilt pattern led to high distractions and difficulty to look at the quilt without experiencing vertigo. I loved the pattern in some of the alternative choices; however, with the original color pallets it was a Mackinac miss.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM

I like it, IrishNY. I think the purple and black work really well together to frame the other part of the blocks. I went non-scrappy for black, white & yellow. Hoping that's enough to keep it calm. One day I'll get my design wall cleared off so I can play with mine.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:04 PM

Looking at the closeup on the last pic, notice I lost a point. Will not frog...I can live with it!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by colorfulom View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504634[/ATTACH]
Here's my progress on assembling my blocks today. I'm planning to make two quilts - one with 16 blocks and the other with 9. This is the beginning of the larger one.
Looking good! You used the lighter greens, too; I think that shows off the pattern better.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Also, I'm soooooo glad I stuck to single colors...normally I love scrappies.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:14 PM

colorfulom, I think that's working beautifully. I hope mine looks as nice! But I have some darker greens and may end up with a darker yellow, so I don't know. I think I may make a few extra clue #3 blocks with only my milder greens, so that my more intense greens are fewer and farther between.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I finished the top today. I am not going to put the pieced border on since I think it is too busy for me already. I thought I allowed for the busyness of Bonnie's quilts by using single fabrics for the black, white, yellow and blue (substitute for green). The only scrappy colors are pink and aqua. It is still way busier than my usual style. I'm planning to bind it as is in yellow.

I did the pattern as Bonnie designed. I knew going into this experience that I was not going to be comfortable - I don't like scrappy or patterns with a zillion little pieces, but I thought it was a good opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone. Changing the pattern seems counterproductive to that goal. I have a niece expected in the spring - this will be her quilt.
Your colors are great...show off the pattern really well...this is showing Bonnie's mystery as it should be...Great work!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 PM

I like your interpretation Jeanie. I think the plainer whites really calm it down too.

I kept trying different things then finally decided just to go with the Bonnie's plan and have started sewing it together! I want to be finished in time to jump on Judy's mystery train.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 PM

The ones being shown look great.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:50 AM

Jeanie, I think yours is an excellent solution for those who can't tolerate the pattern as is. To me, all the other 'fixes' look like fixes (I'm not including char's in that group, as to me that is a totally different quilt and doesn't look to me like an attempt to fix a problem). Your version looks to me like a version. Grand Hotel on a gently breezy rather than on a really windy day.

Again, just want to say how sorry I am for the disappointment many are feeling.

I am halfway finished with clue #2!