Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Nilla: Your color scheme is going to be so much fun. Really enjoy watching the quilts out of other color ways emerge. When I made the Orca I used my own colors and the secondary pattern didn't emerge, so now I'm a chicken. Jeanie: You nailed my reasoning. I love all of BH designs just the way she makes them, but for me, calming a few color with solids suits me better. My blues actually match the color samples pretty well, its my camera that seems to want more of an aqua blue. Wonder how much money you would have to spend on a camera to have it register the true color.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:18 PM

I've about decided not to do the mystery. I'm planning to finish my ongoing projects, and then choose one of Bonnie's patterns and make it on my winter break. I've always wanted to do one of her patterns--I'll print out the mystery; maybe I'll choose to make it!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Have never done one of her mysteries and this sounds like fun.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:06 PM

Love that Michigan theme. The Grand Hotel is truly grand. The colors are bold and classic for this kind or resort local. Lovely place to visit even if you can only afford to just walk through and see the beauty of the hotel and Michigan's most famous island with the Might Mac Bridge in the distance.

Three cheers for the Grand Hotel. I'll have to watch this mystery quilt just out of curiosity. I am far to busy to make it at this point in my life.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
Not sure I have enough of scraps for this. I do want my quilt to be scrappy and short on funds. Would purchasing charm squares work or are these just too small to use.
Grace creates, I think it will probably be hard with charm squares. However, you can wait until the first clue or two is released in November to decide. She'll give the cutting directions first.

I just tried something new with charm squares that you might like. It a tutorial on Missouri quilts. I believe it's called Disappearing Pinwheels and there are several variations you can choose from. They are small - but fun!!

I went to Lowes and could only get the gold color. Wonder if lots of people in my area are doing the mystery this year. LOL I'm going to stick with her colors this year. I love them and it's not something I would normally pick or even put them together. She promised this year will not be as intense as last year's mystery. I still need to get the borders on my Celtic Solstice.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:33 PM

I decided to join the Mystery Quilt. I've never done a MQ before, I like to know what I'm making. But after studying other MQ's that Bonnie has done - and seeing how many different colors she's using - I'm *guessing* that I'm going to like this quilt. The number of different colors she's using promises a "complicated" quilt and I like complicated. I also love the Grand (my first Honeymoon was there) so that was a clincher.

I'm going to be starting a Dear Jane - hopefully next week. I know I'll want something else to work on in-between DJ blocks and I think this project is the answer!!

I'm undecided on the yellow though ... I have two I could use. One is a blender, the other a print.

Both are pictured with my stash of the other colors in the palette (except the neutrals). Which yellow do you think I should use??

Attached Thumbnails img_1294.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 05:04 PM

DogHouseMom, I prefer the blender yellow. It is very creamy looking just like the paint card. The print is a little too busy and introduces orange which won't be in the quilt anywhere else. Just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:31 PM

I think I will do this one, will try to pick up the color cards tomorrow.
DogHouseMom, I like the print!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
DogHouseMom, I prefer the blender yellow. It is very creamy looking just like the paint card. The print is a little too busy and introduces orange which won't be in the quilt anywhere else. Just my opinion.
The print is actually pink, the color is off in the photo. I had several other yellow's with orange which I rejected for that very reason.

I'm leaning toward the blender for the color and simplicity. If this quilt is as busy as I think it's going to be, the blender might be the best option. I was hoping for something with *some* design to it, but I want to shop my stash, not the LQS!!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Doghousemom - Looks like a great assortment of fabrics. I also prefer the blender.