Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I hope to make this mystery quilt- it will be my first, but not my first Bonnie hunter quilt!

I want to make this from my not-so-huge stash, and i want to use Christmas fabrics....I will use gold for the yellow constant, reds for the pink, greens for the greens, black and white neutrals.....but i am stumped with a color substitute for the teals....any thoughts? Royal blues, purples??? I have purple in my stash, but not much of any color of blue....
a second green might work if there is enough contrast or/and pattern difference between the greens

Maybe if one was pine needles and the other tone on tone stars, sleighs, toys, ornaments.....

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 10-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:21 PM

Maybe a white on white fabric for the Christmas color question
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM

I'm just a little confused about something from Bonnie's blog where she was showing black and white. She said don't choose a black with much white in it, but underneath that was a picture of mostly whites with black. And then that picture was followed with neutrals.

So does this quilt have blacks,neutrals, and white-n-blacks?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'm just a little confused about something from Bonnie's blog where she was showing black and white. She said don't choose a black with much white in it, but underneath that was a picture of mostly whites with black. And then that picture was followed with neutrals.

So does this quilt have blacks,neutrals, and white-n-blacks?
The black with some white she is calling black. 2 1/4 yds total

The white with some black she is calling neutral.
The other lights she is calling neutrals also.
Neutrals Both white with black and other lights 3 yards total.
HTH
Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 PM

Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
The black with some white she is calling black. 2 1/4 yds total

The white with some black she is calling neutral.
The other lights she is calling neutrals also.
Neutrals Both white with black and other lights 3 yards total.
HTH
Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I hope to make this mystery quilt- it will be my first, but not my first Bonnie hunter quilt!

I want to make this from my not-so-huge stash, and i want to use Christmas fabrics....I will use gold for the yellow constant, reds for the pink, greens for the greens, black and white neutrals.....but i am stumped with a color substitute for the teals....any thoughts? Royal blues, purples??? I have purple in my stash, but not much of any color of blue....
I personally think the teals would be stunning in a Christmas Quilt.. Anything goes now for Christmas Colors. I found some fun fabric years ago with hot pink, teal and gold. It was a cartoon Santa driving a turquoise 1957 Chevy Convertible. go figure ! Made a darling quilt for my grandson. He still loves it after 8 years.....
Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 AM

I ordered a yellow/gold fabric and it is a lot more gold than I expected, so my colours will be much deeper/richer than Bonnie's. But I need to use fabrics from my stash. I'm not too keen on the B/W, but it is the only piece I have that is large enough. But what I'm really wondering about is the pink. I have two options: a medium pink with a large tone on tone pattern that should provide "movement" in the quilt (something Bonnie tends to emphasize). Or a rose that has a smaller print. Which do you think goes better?

Attached Thumbnails grand-illusion-colours-1.jpg   grand-illusion-colours-2.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Belfry - I really prefer the darker rose color, especially next to the gold! Just my preference, they both would work I think!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM

I like the darker rose, too. Plus it adds some variety of scale since your green and blue are both medium scale.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Having just been at the Grand Hotel a couple of weeks ago (and loved it!), and ignoring the fact that I'm trying to get my UFO list down to one page by the end of 2014, and also ignoring the fact that I already have one page of PIGs to do, I think I'm going to try this one. The CS quilt pictures that I've seen people post from last year's MQ are beautiful. I've never made a MQ before and her quilts look a lot more challenging than anything I've done before, so we'll see how it goes. If I can get my printer to work, I'm going to print out instructions today and head to Lowe's. Of course I was at Rosie's last week, before I even knew about this, so I'm going stash diving. As this quilt gets started, will people post on this thread, or will it be moved to another section? I want to see what everyone is doing.