Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
Maybe I'll make a half size?
Lots of us make half size.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:57 PM

mine is planned to be half size......that is actually the size I need for guild charity 44X44 will be perfect.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Please give me an honest assessment of my color choices. I'm pretty short on a few colors.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 01:06 PM

I hope to make this mystery quilt- it will be my first, but not my first Bonnie hunter quilt!

I want to make this from my not-so-huge stash, and i want to use Christmas fabrics....I will use gold for the yellow constant, reds for the pink, greens for the greens, black and white neutrals.....but i am stumped with a color substitute for the teals....any thoughts? Royal blues, purples??? I have purple in my stash, but not much of any color of blue....
Old 10-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Susan, I would take out the very light greens in the middle of your stack, they will read white in the quilt, the same with the real light blue color. Also you might have trouble with the striped fabric (love it), it will also show up as white in some cuts.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Susan, I would take out the very light greens in the middle of your stack, they will read white in the quilt, the same with the real light blue color. Also you might have trouble with the striped fabric (love it), it will also show up as white in some cuts.
I'll do that-- thanks Jeanie! Are the darker greens okay? They seem a lot darker than the others. Truth be told I have a lot more darker/ hunter greens than anything else in my stash.

By the way the striped fabric in the center of the greens came from Joanne's. Leftover from my daughters bed quilt I made.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I hope to make this mystery quilt- it will be my first, but not my first Bonnie hunter quilt!

I want to make this from my not-so-huge stash, and i want to use Christmas fabrics....I will use gold for the yellow constant, reds for the pink, greens for the greens, black and white neutrals.....but i am stumped with a color substitute for the teals....any thoughts? Royal blues, purples??? I have purple in my stash, but not much of any color of blue....
I am sure it will make a lovely Christmas quilt. I would stay away from a blue as it may turn out kind of patriotic depending on your shade of red and blue you choose. I think a purple would work, if you stay towards the red violet. Cannot remember what the yardage is for that but you may want to make that the color that uses the least yardage to keep it not so much impact.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
I am sure it will make a lovely Christmas quilt. I would stay away from a blue as it may turn out kind of patriotic depending on your shade of red and blue you choose. I think a purple would work, if you stay towards the red violet. Cannot remember what the yardage is for that but you may want to make that the color that uses the least yardage to keep it not so much impact.
Ahhhh....never thought of the red, white and blue factor! Thank you!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
I'll do that-- thanks Jeanie! Are the darker greens okay? They seem a lot darker than the others. Truth be told I have a lot more darker/ hunter greens than anything else in my stash.

By the way the striped fabric in the center of the greens came from Joanne's. Leftover from my daughters bed quilt I made.
When you see your fabrics against whatever color Bonnie has us put together, you will know when you see the two together if they work or not. Sometimes I have put two together and said ugh - no way, and have to revise my thinking. The thing about it being scrappy, you can add colors along the way and no one will know the difference!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Perhaps jillmc should take samples of her fabrics to the paint department and test drive some Valspar paint cards, ala Bonnie Hunter.