Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 10-23-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
darn! That's exactly what it is. A square up ruler. I'm gonna watch you all from the sidelines. Quilt on!!
You can still do the mystery. Bonnie gives instructions for her method but says the important thing is to get the correct sized units. You can use whatever method works best for you.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
You can still do the mystery. Bonnie gives instructions for her method but says the important thing is to get the correct sized units. You can use whatever method works best for you.

Got my paint chips and realize I need some fabric! Found the right color for the yellow/gold and went ahead and got one black for the entire quilt--just did not have enough. Dug through my stash and came up with about 1/2 the pink and little over 1/2 the turquoise/teal. Figure I have plenty of green as I gathered lots for my Celtic Solstice--which is only about 1/2 done! So in next 4 weeks I plan to work on that since I finished most Christmas presents (still a tree skirt for DD)today. When it comes to quilting I'm so ADD!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Figure I have plenty of green as I gathered lots for my Celtic Solstice--which is only about 1/2 done! So in next 4 weeks I plan to work on that. . .
I dug out my unfinished CS this week, too. The big challenge is figuring out how many more pieces to cut to finish up my units. I had made myself notes but managed to misplace them. But I'm off to a pretty good start. (Or finish depending on how you look at it.) Still having trouble with those darn chevrons though.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

My friend is doing this quilt. I thought it was very interesting to use paint chip samples to pick out your fabrics.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I bought the yellow I really like for this quilt. And it's on clearance at Missouri Star Quilt, yeah!

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...yellow-yardage
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 AM

This is the first time that I will be doing a MQ. I've decided to go with all solid colors. I hope it comes out OK. I purchased my fabrics from CT.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
That's good to know! I think I've made almost 20 quilts, but I've never ever done a triangle. Well other than the 2 in the wall hanging in my avatar! Do you think I'll be up over my head?? Maybe I'll make a half size?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 3591tjl View Post
This is the first time that I will be doing a MQ. I've decided to go with all solid colors. I hope it comes out OK. I purchased my fabrics from CT.

That should be very interesting! An Amish version of BH's mystery quilt. I hope you post pictures!

Jane
Old 10-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
That's good to know! I think I've made almost 20 quilts, but I've never ever done a triangle. Well other than the 2 in the wall hanging in my avatar! Do you think I'll be up over my head?? Maybe I'll make a half size?

I don't think you'll be in over your head at all. I think you will have conquered how to do triangles by the time you finish. I feel like I made a hundred million chevrons last year! By the time I finished CS I was matching points more precisely and felt more confident about my skills. It forced me into "practice, practice, practice" mode.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I don't think you'll be in over your head at all. I think you will have conquered how to do triangles by the time you finish. I feel like I made a hundred million chevrons last year! By the time I finished CS I was matching points more precisely and felt more confident about my skills. It forced me into "practice, practice, practice" mode.
Thanks, Nilla! I'll try and see if I can keep up and see if I can do a learn traingles once and for all!