Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: International Patriotic Challenge

I was planning to do the patriotic challenge, then when looking thru my stuff for inspiration, I found a kaleidascope I started while I was having to stay 2 extra weeks in Ohio this spring and got all inspired to work on it again. Hope I get back to a patriotic item again.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I don't think we have a deadline here. Do one then the other.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Everyone's projects are looking great... I've not been able to sit down and sew since I finished up dgs's nap blanket. My dd arrived in Texas alright and though she says she is exhausted she is happy she is finally there. House feeling empty atm. I need to shift gears and get busy back at the sewing machine.. that will cure my bleakness Im sure. Have a wonderful day.
    So sorry your dd will be living farther away from you. I know how that is, not easy.My heart and prayers go out to you. Did she move there for college or a job??My daughter and her husband moved to Colorado when our first granddaughter was only 4 months old--for 14 long months. Fortunately they didn't like it there and moved back to California and live 25 minutes from us. We used skype almost everyday-that helped.

Looking and touching fabric can definitely take your mind off things. Sewing helps even more, that is for sure. You've also got all of us quilting phanatics!!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

nHello, I stumbled in here the other day and, wow what a great surprise. Now here is the thing. My daddy is 73 and he wants me to make him a quilt. So I think it should be a quilt that is about him. And anyway I want to do a patriotic quilt. He served 37 yrs in the Navy, What I am looking for is a Emblem for the Navy, or the Supply Corp Navy. And guess what I can not find one. But I know that they are out there cause I have seen it with some of your quilts. Can one of you please tell me where I can find them.
    Thank you in advance Audrey (wanabquilter)

Quote Originally Posted by wanabquilter View Post
    nHello, I stumbled in here the other day and, wow what a great surprise. Now here is the thing. My daddy is 73 and he wants me to make him a quilt. So I think it should be a quilt that is about him. And anyway I want to do a patriotic quilt. He served 37 yrs in the Navy, What I am looking for is a Emblem for the Navy, or the Supply Corp Navy. And guess what I can not find one. But I know that they are out there cause I have seen it with some of your quilts. Can one of you please tell me where I can find them.
    Go to Image Google and type "Emblem for US Navy" or "Emblem for Supply Corp Navy".

Talking International Patriotic Challenge

Hi All,
    It's been a while but my quilt top is done and I still have time to quilt it too! Here are the pictures.
    Patticake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A quilt is a hug for future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by wanabquilter View Post
    I don't know but I hope that ya find one. What a great daughter ya are. Tell him Thank you for his service from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patticake View Post
    Hi All,
    It's been a while but my quilt top is done and I still have time to quilt it too! Here are the pictures.
    Patticake
    Oh that is darlin'. (10 min. block???)
    Bev

Oh Patti - that is really a cute quilt! I second Dblb - 10 min. block???
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Yes, it is a 10 min block with a little extra in the center. Not sure why the picture isn't full size but I'm really happy with the finished top. Now to quilt it.
    A quilt is a hug for future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Patticake View Post
    Yes, it is a 10 min block with a little extra in the center. Not sure why the picture isn't full size but I'm really happy with the finished top. Now to quilt it.
    I love how ya did it. (If ya click on it, it gits pretty big.)
    Bev

wildyard - There is no deadline. We just used July 1 and 4 of this year because those are the birthdays of Canada and the USA. Guaranteed we will be around a long time after those dates.

Good luck on the kalaidescope and we hope you keep coming back to encourange us along on our projects and to be inspired for your project when you are ready.

I'm almost finished quilting mine but I'm not going anywhere when I'm done. I already have ideas for 2013 and 2014.

wanabquilter - That sounds like a wonderful gift for your father. I Googled Supply Corp Navy and then clicked to get Google images. A lot came up. I don't know which one would work but there should be a lot of inspiration on those Google pages. You can probably get a lot more specific in your search than I can as your Dad can give you more information. Good luck.

Patticake - Fabulous. Keep up the good work.

Muv - I hear there are a lot of festivities going on this weekend through to Tuesday. It's wonderful when one person can bring the country together like the Queen can. So looking forward to your progress, and maybe a small history lesson, too.
    Last edited by works4me; 06-03-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I'm glad that your DD is finally here. Tell her "That's right your not from TX, that's right your not from TX, that's right your not from TX, TX want's ya anyway!"
    Bev I do believe Texas wants her.. LOL she is so happy and she's loving it and she hasn't even started her new job yet. When we talk every other sentence starts with Mom you got to see this or you need to visit and go here with me.. Or You will love this place. LOL dh and I are planning a trip to TX in late Aug or early Sept to go see all this wonderfulness she is talking about. Thank you ladies for being a source of strength and retreat to help me through the separation. I'm doing much better now.. um about 400.00 in fabric added to my stash later. Im ready to get back in my sewing groove and get things done. I did finish designing and making my block for the QB contest and sent in my entry. Sew very exciting Now Im going to focus on the mystery train hst's and then put the finishing sash on my Patriotic Mystery quilt and of course I will do a lil here and there on all my other projects as I go along. My focus though is to get the Patriotic Quilt complete. HUGS everyone!!!
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Bev I do believe Texas wants her.. LOL she is so happy and she's loving it and she hasn't even started her new job yet. When we talk every other sentence starts with Mom you got to see this or you need to visit and go here with me.. Or You will love this place. LOL dh and I are planning a trip to TX in late Aug or early Sept to go see all this wonderfulness she is talking about. Thank you ladies for being a source of strength and retreat to help me through the separation. I'm doing much better now.. um about 400.00 in fabric added to my stash later. Im ready to get back in my sewing groove and get things done. I did finish designing and making my block for the QB contest and sent in my entry. Sew very exciting Now Im going to focus on the mystery train hst's and then put the finishing sash on my Patriotic Mystery quilt and of course I will do a lil here and there on all my other projects as I go along. My focus though is to get the Patriotic Quilt complete. HUGS everyone!!!
    I miss my DD also! She's in FL! We talk on the phone everyday for a couple of hours. I love cell phones w/unliminted long distance. She's been gone about 6 years. I still miss her. She did come back for 6 months while her DH was deployed & she had 2 babies, but that was 4 years ago. She might git ta come back ta TX, but TX is big! Just 'cause she is in TX doesn't mean that she will be close. Did I say I love cell phones?
    Bev

I sure have been missing all of you!! Just too hectic right now .... but I'm baaaaaaaack, sorta!

Not that I had the time today, I did get caught up on the Diamond Jubilee festivities on the tube ... in between did some of the work that needed to be done. Operative word, "some" not "most"!!!

Muv ... I was thinking of you as they reported. And wondering if your local Pub was participating in the national lunch aka streetparty? Did you get your wall hanging completed in time? We had rain on Friday, a bit yesterday, and more today, so am feeling right in touch with your weather for the flotilla!

JenniKy ... looks like you helped your recovery with a very successful FART! Maybe as part of your DD lonelies, you should make a quilt that you can take to her when you go for your visit. A date set for your trip will help all of you, as you know when you will see each other! Looking to see that finished up Patriotic Mystery.

W4Me ... woohooo!!!!! you're on home stretch! Bet you can't guess what I got while I was away!! Guess??????

PattiCake ... now that's one beautiful 10 Minute Block Quilt! Great placements of your fabrics.

WannaBQuilter ... great plan for your Father. I can't help you with the logo, but I did see many great USA patriotic blocks on QuitersCache, that you might want to work into your plans.

DublB ... read above ... for your PC alternatives!

Quilt9226 ... WOW!! you're right in the spirit on this! New projects and PUPs all count!

WildYard ... Don't worry about the deadline, it was just to help get some of us moving in the right direction. I'll be ever so happy to have you accompany me in the late department!

OKOK ... I can hear
    W4Me roaring in laughter at me .... no, I haven't even seen my sewing machine for over a week. And it's not looking good for the coming week. Do you think it'll remember me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    I have just finished two patriotic tote bags, and a patriotic Bow Tuck. Do those count? I still haven't been able to get pictures posted, but will be trying again. I love my Bow Tuck purse. I carried it all day Friday, Saturday and This morning for our Statewide American Legion Convention. Had quite some interesting comments on it. Thanks.

Of course, they count FmHall! .... this challenge is about ANYthing patriotic, for ANY country, done in ANY way! ... no it does not have to be quilting/fabric .... it could be painting, cross stitch, flowers, whatever!

The intent was to encourage everyone to start a new patriotic project or drag out one of their PUPs and get them finished up! And too, that everyone's completions and ideas could help inspire others to get their projects done ... or find some new ones to start!

Please do show us pics, when you get a chance to!

Muv
    Patticake - I love it!

Jenniky - glad you are feeling happier now you know your daughter is settling in.

QuiltE and works4me - yes, it's been exciting today, if I watch any more telly I think I'll explode. Watched the flotilla on the Thames with my husband, and this evening watched the recent horse pageant at Windsor Castle with my daughter... lots of handsome Mounties!

The wall hanging was finished by Friday evening, and I delivered it to the pub yesterday afternoon. They are borrowing it for the week, and it is hanging on the chimney breast in the restaurant. I'm chuffed to bits. The Jubilee Party there is tomorrow because it happens to coincide with the first anniversary of the pub reopening after being entirely renovated. Want some history? The pub is an old 18th century coaching inn named after George III and the pub sign is a reproduction from a famous portrait of him painted by Allan Ramsay to commemorate his coronation - very easy to find on Google.

And another patriotic twist... I made the hanging with using two machines, a 1927 Singer 99K hand machine and a 1945 Singer 15K treadle, both manufactured in Scotland during the Queen's lifetime.

I'm going to try and get some good pictures this week at the pub.

Blog Entries

Two Birds for the Challenge

I seem to be in an "indigenous" phase. I like the primitive style of our native artists. Here are two interrpretations of birds.
    Mary Katherine
    Attached Images Attached Images

marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

MaryK ... Your indigenous phase, as always is exceptional work! What size? great colour choices and totally looks like the paintings. I never quite get the meaning of the native arts pics like these ... at least these ones I can "see" as birds, but is there more to their story?

And chuffed you should be,
    Muv ... to have your wall hanging in place for all to see, during the celebrations.
    I'm sure there'll be LOTS Of celebrating tomorrow night for the pub and The Queen.
    Now we'll be sitting in fear, that some one might take the notion to "christen" your wall hanging. *gasp*
    I'll sit patiently waiting for the pics!

Looks like you've had a jolly good, patriotic weekend!!

I'm thinking that this is the pic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:George_III_(by_Allan_Ramsay).jpg

So now you have me curious, is the pub called George III?
    Last edited by QuiltE; 06-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Bev my daughter and I are using skype to talk back and forth. Then I can see her too.

QuiltE - I like your idea about making a quilt for her and "Alrighty Im gonna bite"..what does FART mean... lol. I have not eaten any broccoli sew.... what did I do? ROTFL

FMHall2 - Please post some pictures when you can..would love to see your projects.

Muv - Hugs just cause.
    Have an awesome day!

Muv
    Hello QuiltE - the hanging is quite safe, it's not the sort of pub where the beer starts flying. The pub is just called The George. It used to be called The George Inn, but the Inn got dropped. The portrait on the main wikipedia page about George III shows him in ermine robes. The pub sign shows the head and shoulders from that portrait.

FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip !!!

*giggles*

and before I get asked, another one I used in an earlier post

PUPs = Poor Unforgotten Projects

and those
    PUPpieS can grow up and become DOGS

DOGS = Done! Obviously Got Sewn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Hello QuiltE - the hanging is quite safe, it's not the sort of pub where the beer starts flying. The pub is just called The George. It used to be called The George Inn, but the Inn got dropped. The portrait on the main wikipedia page about George III shows him in ermine robes. The pub sign shows the head and shoulders from that portrait.

I also saw the robe pic. We'll all know where you are when we can't find you ... down at The George! I remember when we visited friends in England, that The Pub was more like a family room in our homes!! Our friend said she did her best cooking when at the Pub .... would leave everything in the oven to do it's own thing and be ready when we went home for supper.

Blog Entries
    I haven't yet even started my patriotic piece...oops!!!! Been so busy catching up on other things. I'll get there before July 1st though!!!

Speaking of July 1st, if any of the stitchers in the group are interested, I had in previous years to celebrate July 1st, posted complimentary charts on my blog that I designed. Please feel free to stitch and enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...CanadaFlag.jpg

http://quiltingunderthemidnightsun.b...anada-day.html
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip !!!

*giggles*

and before I get asked, another one I used in an earlier post

PUPs = Poor Unforgotten Projects

and those
    PUPpieS can grow up and become DOGS

DOGS = Done! Obviously Got Sewn!!

LOL alrighty wrote those down...for future reference. Love the PUPS and DOGS too.
    Have an awesome day!

Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast