Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: International Patriotic Challenge

JeanieG - That looks great. So glad you were able to join us. I see a matching apron in your future.

Jenniky - The triangles weren't as bad as I expected. I attached them to the ends of each row and so was on the straight of grain. Attaching the border even went OK, thank goodness. So many techniques in this quilt are new to me.

Was up at 3AM today so worked on the borders. Still need to attach the side borders but need breakfast first. Will post a photo later today of the finished quilt top. Then, I take a break for a bit as I have to do a custom glass etching order for a wedding and make an apron with pockets for use at craft fairs.

Quilt top completed. I'm not sure if it is patriotic enough, though.

Name:  Complete top.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  452.9 KB

Certainly looks very patriotic to me, works4me!! It's really pretty!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Thank you. I'm very pleased with it.

Don't see how it could be any more patriotic works4me! It is wonderful!!!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Muv
    Works4me - it's taking shape so quickly now!

JeanieG - love the potholder!

As promised, a prickly picture. I'll be glad when this thistle is finished - too many fiddly little corners to sew round.
    Attached Images Attached Images

W4M - That is very Canadian. Can't get any more patriotic than that! It is your quilt & if ya have any other ideas I know that you'll make it great, 'cause this great.
    Muv - That is very intricate work. Lookin' good! I'm lookin' forward ta seein' the finished product.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

JeanieG ... great pot holder! Now I do believe you have some more fabric already for a mate? Yes, W4Me has an even better idea that there should be an apron!

Ghostie ... Your significant symbolism makes that even better!!! If you really want to get carried away, the "official" maple leaf on our flag has eleven points, one for each of the ten provinces and one for the territories. At the time the flag was developed, there were only two territories, Yukon and the Northwest Territories, but they were only give one point between them. Now there are the three as you already recognized!

W4Me .... WOWzers! And how much more patriotic, do you think it could be? You will be proud to display that along with your car this summer!

Did
    Everyone note ... Later today ...... was only 72 minutes later!

Muv... Ouch Ouch Ouch ... on the prickles!! Incredible work!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Ghostie ... Your significant symbolism makes that even better!!! If you really want to get carried away, the "official" maple leaf on our flag has eleven points, one for each of the ten provinces and one for the territories. At the time the flag was developed, there were only two territories, Yukon and the Northwest Territories, but they were only give one point between them. Now there are the three as you already recognized!
    But, but, but...this is the one I used. Is that not right? They'll be almost 2" wide in the actual quilt so the two bottom points will probably be more visible than they are in the photo above.

The Earth without art is just "Eh".

OK I got it quilted. Here is my Mariner's Compass Potholder.

Name:  Mariners Compass Potholder.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  69.6 KB

Here's the back so ya can see the quiltin'!

Name:  Mariner's Compass Potholder (Back).jpg
Views: 164
Size:  73.5 KB

I love SID for these traditional blocks.
    Last edited by dublb; 05-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Bev

Great work everyone!! Muv, just wanted to say love your thistle leaves and am eager to see the finished product. A little story; When moving to Upstate NY, we saw a ramshackle little cottage with, "This'll Do" painted in huge letters on the roof. I loved the sentiment and when we bought our country place, I decided to call it Thistle Dew Cottage. A play on the words this'll do. I get thistle items and did my entry porch decorated in Thistles.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    Great work everyone!! Muv, just wanted to say love your thistle leaves and am eager to see the finished product. A little story; When moving to Upstate NY, we saw a ramshackle little cottage with, "This'll Do" painted in huge letters on the roof. I loved the sentiment and when we bought our country place, I decided to call it Thistle Dew Cottage. A play on the words this'll do. I get thistle items and did my entry porch decorated in Thistles.
    I love your play on words!
    Bev

OK I have typed this three times now this being the thrid. Your quilt will be awesome when it is finish it. Do you mind me asking how I can get a copy of the pattern.

Audrey aka wanabquilter

Blog Entries
    W4ME - Wow I love your quilt top and I think it is very patriotic..whats the plan now..hand quilting or machine??
    Dublb - Great potholder, I love those fabrics... Have you decided if you are going to make a matching apron??
    MUV - My family enjoyed watching your video of the Olympic torch. We felt like we visited London on your shoulder. Also your thistle is looking good.
    Ghostrider - I don't know anything about Canadian history.. let alone American history. However I just want to say that your design is awesome, I can appreciate that you are wanting your symbolism to be accurate
    Have an awesome day!

Wow, everyone is just ticking along. This is great.

I was actually joking when I said I was unsure if it was patriotic enough. I was originally planning to use the flag fabric that I fussy cut for the corner squares as the outer border. Decided it was too much, too overwhelming so went with the red. The flag fabric will be my backing instead.

dublb - the potholder looks great.

Muv - a lot of little points on the thistle. No wonder you will happy when it is done. It looks great, though.

wildyard - cute story

wannabquilter - whose pattern were you looking for? I assume dublb's star.

Blog Entries
    Name:  Shaun.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  291.6 KBIm still working on my patriotic and B&W mystery quilt along with other projects It's coming together nicely. Will show a picture again once I put the sashing..on ..I still need to find a fabric I like for that. Its going to have to be a solid because so much business in the body of the quilt.. So my options on the table currently are a light brown, a tone on tone off white possibly or red. Hmm will be going into town today for my dgs third birthday party. I finished his nap blanket to match the pillow I showed you all earlier in this thread. Here is a pic.
    Have an awesome day!

Dublb - your potholder turned out great. I also SITD for mine!

Jenniky - that is a darling nap quilt for your dgs. He is a very fortunate little one!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post

Dublb - Great potholder, I love those fabrics... Have you decided if you are going to make a matching apron??
    I have ta laugh 'cause I don't do the cookin'. It'd be funny seein' DH in an apron! I will however make another potholder 'cause I can't git the idea out of my head that I had thinkin' on before I made the Mariner's Compass.
    Bev

Name:  Shaun.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  291.6 KBIm still working on my patriotic and B&W mystery quilt along with other projects It's coming together nicely. Will show a picture again once I put the sashing..on ..I still need to find a fabric I like for that. Its going to have to be a solid because so much business in the body of the quilt.. So my options on the table currently are a light brown, a tone on tone off white possibly or red. Hmm will be going into town today for my dgs third birthday party. I finished his nap blanket to match the pillow I showed you all earlier in this thread. Here is a pic.
    This is precious! Good job!
    Bev

Ghostie .. yeppir that'd be it! I think this is going to be a phenomenal quilt!

DublB ... Terrific pot holder ... too pretty to use, don't you think?

WildYard ... I always love play on words ... and you did a great job in choosing yours! Are you joining us for a Patriotic Project?

WanaBQuilter .. I think you're new to this thread too ... Welcome!

W4Me ... The red frames it up perfectly. Good decision. And you too, didn't catch our "sarcasm" about the patriotice enough comments!! I think we're even!!!!!

JenniKy ... cute quilt!

QuiltE, did ya go ta the net class (?) again or does it have other classes latter in the week?
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    QuiltE, did ya go ta the net class (?) again or does it have other classes latter in the week?
    Yes, it was Saturday and Sunday ... so all over with. It was a vwey good class, though SO much to take in, being that it is so different than quilting. Much more abstract ... compared to the organization of putting together quilt designs. I can see me doing it some. Though without the experience, confidence, stepping outside the comfort zone and no one directly available to coach me along, I will probably shy away from it. At the same time, I would quickly sign up for another round (repeater?) of the course to gather more of the ability and confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
    Sounds like a fun project and now you two have got me wanting to start another.
    Here is a picture of an 80" square patriotic quilt I just finished. The center of the quilt started with the printed Eagle & Prairie Star panel from the American Valor collection and I pieced the remaining 4 prairie stars and the stripes and bear paws around that. JulieDeGrave, a very talented LAQ, quilted the quilt. I'll probably be posting it later this week when I get a chance to download more pictures. You all should see the amazing work Julie did on the eagle, which doesn't show up here.
    That is one beautiful quilt BuzzinBumble. Tks so much for sharing.
    Dance like no one is watching

Love it... that is going to be great
    Jenniky,
    Love, love, love that idea. Americans & Canadians joined in love & peace. Love it.
    Dance like no one is watching

I have all the blocks completed for a patriotic themed quilt from a shop hop 2 years ago called Rows of Sweet Liberty. Was planning on finishing the top Memorial Day weekend, just passed, but something else came up (isn't that always the way?) Anyhow, I would love to have it finished by July 4th, so count me in. May not get the top quilted, but hope to at least have the top completely pieced.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast