Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: International Patriotic Challenge

Muv
    Quote Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
    I love your fabric. I have some of it, too, and made my husband and I shirts which we wear on all patriotic days and holidays.
    Now that you've told us you are going to have to show us some pictures. How about posting some next Wednesday?

SewExS ... yes sometimes the easiest things create the most problems. Though I think it's kind of a revenge to our thinking it's easy! I'm sure your friends will appreciate anything that you do right now, knowing how much of an upheaval your life is in. Great flag fabric ... I've even seen it for sale here in Canada!

FmHall ... ITA with Muv ... you really must show us pics of the two of you celebrating on the 4th, complete with your "official" shirts!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Not patriotic but DONE! My mind always sees sugar plums dancing in my head when it comes time to do projects. I cut fabric out to make reversible patriotic AND jungle/coffee print placemats for our friends. They frequently eat on TV trays so I made them extra big to fit the TV tray. Started on the jungle/coffee ones (they love coffee) and just finished after a couple of breaks. Patriotic ones will have to wait for another day/time. Time to scoot of the computer and get ready.

ps: I always sew my binding on one side and hand stitch on the other side. not today. much, much prefer hand stitching on one side but my placemats would not have gotten done in time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

SES - Those are darlin'! Everything I make, takes longer than I think they will!!!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Patriotic Quilt Top Done

Well, I got my Rows of Sweet Liberty quilt top done last weekend. I was hoping to get it on the frame and quilted by the 4th, but work has been insane, and have had lots of roadblocks in getting it loaded onto the frame. But at least I achieved part of my goal. The pattern was called Rows of Sweet Liberty and was part of a Stash Dash here in my area. The fabric collection is Sweet Liberty by Pat Sloan. Unfortunately the small red, white, and blue stars on the blue and red fabrics look like dots in the pic. Of course, the Dash was in 2010, but better late then never. Hopefully it will be ready to grace my home next July 4th.

Thanks for the challenge, it gave me just the push I needed. Love all that you have done!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nursie76; 06-29-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

Ohhhhh! Now ain't that darlin'!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Nursie, it's beautiful. I love it.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Thanks for the kind words. This one was a little out of my normal range, so it was fun to see how it worked out. The fabric and pattern for each set of blocks was purchased at a different store in the Stash Dash. The each shop finished it in a different layout and offered a finishing kit for their method for purchase. I took what I liked the best and switched it up slightly.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

Nicely done Nursie!
    Yes, it'd have been nice to have it quilted for the 4th ... but isn't it such a nice feeling to know that it's all together? It's nicely coordinated for the colours and the different blocks.

I'm glad that this thread helped you (and others) ... to tackle one of your PUPs and finish it off!!!!

I went to pick mulberries and black caps yesterday at a friend's farm. Yes seems idiotic when it was 31C, feeling like 35C .... there was such a beautiful breeze under the trees that it was hard to believe it was so hot.
    Monty stayed home and chilled out in the basement. He's together, today the sandwich and quiltin. Tomorrow is Canada Day ... will he make it?

Blog Entries
    Afternoon ladies,

Yes yes, I have been busy. My friend is feeling somewhat better and she had her husband home for the weekend. So I chained myself back to my sewing machine to practice FMQ. I took QuiltE's suggestion and instead of making practice squares I made a small project.. like potholders and such. I have been trying to think of something useful to make for another dear friend. She likes black and white...why does everyone like black and white...LOL Just once I would like to ask someone what there favorite colors are and they not turn out to be black, white. Alright Im over myself..haha.

Anyway I am making a quilted cover for her new sewing machine. Today was the big day. Last night I chalked the pattern and started in fresh this morning. So Im sharing my pictures with you of my first attempt at FMQ with a pattern. Don't be gentle be honest. IM a Cowgirl I can take it

SES - Great Placemats. I look forward to seeing your Patriotic set also.
    Nursie - I love your sweet liberty quilt top. I recognize all the blocks except the bottom. Is the bottom row a version of the bear claw??

Name:  DSC01904.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  116.4 KB Name:  DSC01906.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  104.3 KB Name:  DSC01907.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  126.8 KB
    Have an awesome day!

Jenniky, Thanks for the kind words. The bottom row is a version (which one I truly don't remember) of the basket block. I think it looks different because of the striped fabric used on the basket portion.

You did a great job on the FMQ, and I am being honest! You go girl!
    Last edited by nursie76; 06-30-2012 at 02:02 PM.

OMG ... JenniKy ... and you're telling us you're only a beginner! WOW!!!!!!! .... incredible detailed work that you've done. Very impressive indeed! And what a nice B+W ... with some colours!

Monty will be jealous of your expertise ... he sure isn't getting anything comparable to your work. I now have him outlined, boots and pants on ... and about to start his coat!

Blog Entries
    Ah QuiltE.... you are too kind. I should of left the chalk on and took a picture so you could see how often I missed the mark. LOL I found a video quilt along that is called SHUT UP and QUILT. I took a lot from what this tutorial offered. I will see if I can find the bookmark and link it for you. I have to admit I did feel that I had better control this time around but not as smooth as I would like.. I still had a lot of jerky areas. But I have another small quilt top in the closet that has been waiting to be finished. Im going to sandwich it once I finish putting this sewing machine cover together and then Prep and Chalk the top. Hopefully I will get some of it started tomorrow. Then I will do the mystery quilt top and finally Im going to do the Scrappy Patriotic Mystery Quilt. Wow Im feeling bold...LOL
    Have an awesome day!

JenniKy ... it doesn't matter whether you got on the lines or not ... the chalk brushes away! What you have done looks pretty even to me. Again, I can't believe how detailed your work is ... so intricate and small. If that's your first, OMG you're a natural and going to be a superstar in no time ... and iwll be teaching the rest of us pretty soon.

Now here's a smile for all of you ... as I was practicing and getting my machine set up and ready to go, I had worked with red thread for Monty's coat. Guess what? It's no more to be found!!!! I checked on the table next to the machine, all around the machine, on the floor, under the dresser .... no where!!!!!!!!!!! I do have a slightly darker thread that is going to be OK, and perhaps better, as it'll show a little better.

Oh another thing ... while gone today I stopped at a garage sale ... scored an antique sewing stand with two drawers and a lid that opened. Will be for my thread stash!

Some supper ... and then back to Mr. Monty!

Blog Entries
    OH... defenitely need to share pictures of your yard sale find and updated pictures of Monty when you get to a stopping point this eve.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Afternoon ladies,

Yes yes, I have been busy. My friend is feeling somewhat better and she had her husband home for the weekend. So I chained myself back to my sewing machine to practice FMQ. I took QuiltE's suggestion and instead of making practice squares I made a small project.. like potholders and such. I have been trying to think of something useful to make for another dear friend. She likes black and white...why does everyone like black and white...LOL Just once I would like to ask someone what there favorite colors are and they not turn out to be black, white. Alright Im over myself..haha.

Anyway I am making a quilted cover for her new sewing machine. Today was the big day. Last night I chalked the pattern and started in fresh this morning. So Im sharing my pictures with you of my first attempt at FMQ with a pattern. Don't be gentle be honest. IM a Cowgirl I can take it

SES - Great Placemats. I look forward to seeing your Patriotic set also.
    Nursie - I love your sweet liberty quilt top. I recognize all the blocks except the bottom. Is the bottom row a version of the bear claw??

Name:  DSC01907.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  126.8 KB
    Jenniky:
    I have to laugh since my first thought was 'oh, I love black/white with yellow. However, if you were to ask me what my favorite colors were, I would tell you 'hot pink', colbalt blue (as in delft blue flow china). But, then there a million other colors I love tooooooo

You are doing great on FMQ. I seem to do fine on waving circle one way and then reverse the circle after then and so on. I am going to try your chalk idea next time and see if that helps. I find I get lost and don't seem to have a sense of direction.

QuiltE: just a note, your thread will appear just after you get your Monte done! Thread just works that way.

Linda

SewExtremeSeams - Love those placemats. Your friend must have been thrilled. Looking forward to seeing the patriotic set.

nursie76 - Nicely done. So glad we could encourage you to finish up and old project.

Jenniky - Wow. You sure take to new ideas/concepts/methods quickly. Nicely done.

QuiltE - Yippee for Monty. Great find at the garage sale.

Blog Entries
    SES - EEK! Hot pink my other Nemesis. LOL I so have to finish my GD Hot Pink Quilt before the end of September. <Shivers> LOL
    W4Me - Thank you for the compliment. I have been blessed with a bit of common sense and also a lil crafty talent. I blame it on my Dad now resting in heaven. He was a General Contractor and built and remodeled houses. I think of Quilting as like Building a House. I will leave the comparison to your imagination.. LOL but yes I like to build things, put them together and I have always been encouraged to try new things before I decide they are too hard for me. I have had a very adventurous life and now that Im having to slow down physically.. Quilting has been a wonderful outlet for my adventuring.
    Have an awesome day!

What a nice story JenniKy ... memories of your Dad as you do your sewing. Not many attribute their quilting success to their Dad, nor to house building! Though you will now have us wondering about your adventurous life!

You made me think of one of the LQS' that I will visit this next month during the Shop Hop is run by a former Mining Engineer, who was ready for a change of pace ... quite a change! She does incredible work, and has a LOT to see when you visit her store. Interesting too, it's in an old train station! She has Mini Quilt patterns in her store, designed by another Engineer friend ... she can't take her quilting with her when she's on the road, so instead designs these patterns. I was intrigued by the patterns during last years's Hop, and now that I've dabbled in minis a little, I'll be purchasing at least one this time round. Coincidentally I met the Mini Quilt Engineer that we both attended last month. Small world!

Before the sunset tonight, I took a picture of the sewing chest. The drawers are high enough that I can stand my Aurifil thread in on end. So that'll let it store one huge thread stash! Yipppeeeee!!1 I should have shot down at it, to show you the inside. Maybe tomorrow?
    Name:  IntlPatriotic 006.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.53 MB

Just poppin' in to wish all my northern neighbors a very
    Happy Canada Day!!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Just poppin' in to wish all my northern neighbors a very
    Happy Canada Day!!

Bless you,
    Ghostie!, and THANK YOU for your well wishes.

I'm about to go and sit with Monty, and hopefully he can debut today ..... or for tomorrow's stat holiday!

Blog Entries
    HAPpy cANaDA DAy. oK MY Computer is really being wierd.. there now its fixed. I think my Laptop was Lapping up some whiskey. LOL QuiltE that is a beautiful piece of furniture. Your Thread Collection will be very Happy Camping out in it.
    I look forward to seeing Monty this evening..have a great day.
    Have an awesome day!

Muv
    Good Evening Ladies, especially to all the Canadian Gals, and Happy Canada Day! I will raise a glass to your health, so consider me with you in spirit! It might have to be a cherry liqueur...

Nursie - love the quilt top! Can we persuade you to get it quilted soon so you can put it away and hide it? That way you can bring it out next year for July 4th, by which time you will have forgotten all the hard work you have put into it and it will be a present from you to you.

Jenniky - you are a complete star! Not only have you put together a wonderful colour combination, but getting that quilting right first time... you deserve extra cake on Wednesday. Feel free to cut a slice for me and eat it on my behalf.

QuiltE - very smart cabinet. Much more stylish than all the old chocolate tins I keep my threads in.
    Also, I'm sorry to have to remind you that this is a respectable website, I'm middle aged, married, of a nervous disposition, and the thought of Monty in his pants has been just a little too much for me. Please make sure he has his trousers on before you post the next picture. It is Canada Day, after all.

In fact, I think I need that cherry liqueur now rather than later...

Hey there Muv!!!! ... I think we just hit another Canadian/Brit difference as Pants = Trousers! Not to worry, a very respectable Mountie he is as my earlier post said he had his pants (=trousers) and boots on. Now fully clothed with his red serge finished.

Am now working on the stippled background ..... thread keeps shredding, so I have to stop and join in. I know the problem ... thin thread and inexperienced operator who is putting too much tension on it as she moves it about. At least, thats that's my diagnosis ... unless someone else has a suggestion as to the reason?

Aside from that, I am quite pleased with the look of it all. Though I can't say I particularly enjoy stopping to wind in all those ends.

Sorry,
    JenniKy ... with this slowdown, I'm thinking he won't make it for today's celebrations.

I've just watched the Canada Day Festivities on Parliament Hill ... interesting how they wove in the War of 1812 history, along with current day events, and music. Apparently, we are going to be seeing/hearing a lot of our history for the next 5 years, as we build towards the 150th Anniversary ... I'm sure that'll be one big year of events! I know, mere children compared to you Brits and Americans!

BTW
    Muv ... good choice on the cherry liqueur ... maybe you can get your pub mates to toast with you tonight!!! aaahhh yes ... anything for a celebration in the local Brit Pub! I can only imagine the excuses during the Olympics!

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...a-t193275.html

Here is Monty's Mount. Now all I have to do is put them together. Muv - LOL so are pants = undergarments in England? Oops was I suppose to wait ... I already started eating the cake yesterday. DH made an awesome carrot cake. It's my favorite. I will eat two extra pieces in your honor.
    Have an awesome day!

Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast