Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast

Thread: International Patriotic Challenge

mmmmmmmmmm Carrot Cake ... and hopefully with LOTS Of gooey Cream Cheese Icing!

CONGRATULATIONS JenniKy ... Cheers!!!!!!!

I didn't follow the Block Challenge. You should have nudged us to get on over there and vote! Wonderful block that you created and what a neat story behind it's inspiration and the Not Just Another name. Monty will be pleased with this mount, I'm sure!

You are a very talented lady ... and I see many more great things for you in your quilting future!!!!!

Muv ... now you've got another to tip another!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Jenniky, I think you did real good on your free motion quilting. Keep at it. Like your placemats, too.

Muv
    Hello QuiltE - is it the top thread that's breaking? It could just be that the needle is slightly blunt, so try changing it. Otherwise it might be that the top tension is too tight. Or a combination of both. Getting the machine set right for FMQ can be a bit of a headache, which is why I haven't used my treadle for anything else since I managed to get it sorted out. I daren't mess it up.

Canadians mere children? Not even out of nappies. The town I grew up in celebrated its millennium in 1985. You have space (I can't comprehend the size of your country), we have history.

Anyway, I actually got a bit of sewing done today. I've nearly finished the boring bit on the flax flowers, the stems and leaves, and might even get to the actual flowers tomorrow. I can't wait to get onto another colour.

Thanks for the feedback, Muv ... I hate messing with tension, and yes, maybe I have created it some that way. I did switch it around til I felt that the top/bottom threads were meeting in the sandwich, rather than pulling more one way or the other. Great solution you have ... set it up and only use the machine for that!

I did switch to a coarser needle thinking maybe I needed more oomph behind it when it was punching thru the layers. Or that it had gone dull (or was so before I started?). I don't think that made any difference.

I'll try adjusting the tension some again ... and see if I can make a difference with that. At least I'm happy with the look, though I know all the joins are not a good thing for "good" quilting. And too, if it were something to be laundered, I'd be more concerned.

I'll check back later, and see if there's anymore feedback .... I appreciate it from all of you!

Muv
    Jenniky - I've just seen your lovely dapple grey horse. Fantastic, congratulations!
    And yes, if my husband answered the front door in his pants I would have to have very serious words with him.

Blog Entries
    TNT = Thread, Needle, Tension That is the order of adjustments when doing the FMQ on the machine according to "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide. From A-Z hundreds of tips and techniques for successful quiltmaking. I use to always mess with the tension first.. but then Im not using Aurafil . I have ordered some to see how different it is. I have been using Gutterman. Everything I read says to adjust the tension itself as a last resort. I was able to get my machine set up quicker this time. Was it luck or the knowledge to use quality thread and changed to a new needle before I even began? It's hard sometimes changing things out. I always want to use it till it breaks. I learned really fast that cheap threads makes me cry and pull my hair out and say very rude things to my sewing machine. LOL So really Quilt E .. I dont have any tips for you that you probably dont already know. Oh wait.. I have found that I relax and FMQ better when listening to country music especially Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Muv I just informed my DH No more answering the door in his pants. LOL He just stared at me like I lost my mind... until I explained. I still got the rolling eyes towards the ceiling but was funny and I did get a chuckle from him also.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Help Ladies... I can't decide trim the edges in black or white? I was thinking black to help frame the quilting. But then I like the white also... The person Im making it for likes B&W combos that also makes me lean towards the black .. but then am I taking away from it. Gasp. I am really trying to get this finished today so I can start in on more FMQ Monty needs his horse drawn up all nicely and I have to finish several projects before that comes up on my wonderful white board list

Name:  DSC01912.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  104.5 KB
    Have an awesome day!

Muv
    Jenniky - It's looking really smart. You are such a fast worker! My vote for the binding is black, or the black and white gingham. Plain white would get grubby too quickly. Well it would in my house, anyway.
    Glad you sorted your husband out. Can't have them embarrassing us.

Machine is threaded up in blue, stencil is pinned in place, and I'm ready to sew the first flax flower tomorrow. Hooray hooray.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Muv you are the deciding vote. Blue is a nice color to work with... one of my favorites to work on. Happy sewing on that first flax flower tomorrow.
    Have an awesome day!

JenniKy ... I'm with Muv ... white gets grubby in my world!!!
    And before I read her comments, I was going to say ......... BOTH B+W ... and ask, do you have more of the gingham? Otherwise, the black would blend it all nicely together.

What a lucky friend you have ... and a good friend you are!!!

Muv ... yea ... first flax flower tomorrow!!! It's going to be ever-so pretty, I just know!! BTW Shots have made it here. I've now seen it advertised in 3 fabric lines! Haven't seen them IRL yet. Oh, not quite ... Michael Miller has them all nicely packed in a boxed assortment with some non-shots, so you don't get a true look at it. The boxed grouping is so nicely presented, that you can't help but want it!

Blog Entries
    HAPPY CANADA DAY to all of you Canadians.

I bought DH a gorgeous chocolate cake in honor of you.

Jenniky: I see you already made a decision but my vote would have been for black. It looks gorgeous! Loved your horse block also.

QuiltE: great thread holder.
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 07-01-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Happy Canada Day!

We went ta Brady this weekend & took some furniture. We worked hard Sat afternoon, grilled steak that evenin',& fished late into the night. OK we just watched bobbers float in the water while we talked. It was so nice!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    HAPPY CANADA DAY to all of you Canadians.

I bought DH a gorgeous chocolate cake in honor of you.

Oh surrrrrrre blame the Canucks for the splurge!!
    Hope that you BOTH enjoyed the cake ... and that you decorated it with a maple leaf, just to keep the ploy!!
    *giggles*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Oh surrrrrrre blame the Canucks for the splurge!!
    Hope that you BOTH enjoyed the cake ... and that you decorated it with a maple leaf, just to keep the ploy!!
    *giggles*
    Well, just think you can blame us (U.S.) for a splurge on Wednesday!

I am sick today so choco cake was not on my list to eat. DH enjoyed it though. Choco is his fave.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

QuiltE...I've been told that the type of needle is also important. A size 12 top stitch is recommended. It has a longer groove leading up to the hole where the thread can "nest" plus a larger hole for threading. After the needle is threaded, there should be 40% open space or the thread will bind and break. Metallica needle is also good with the same design since it is to be used with metallic thread but works well with other theada. I had to look in my notes to give the right reasons for each needle but I've had fewer problems since changing exclusively to top stitch. I have a boat load of universal and quilting needles to get rid of.

Thanks GGal ... I'll try the topstitch needle another time. At least you can use your universal and quilting needles for your piecing. I had used a 12Q and switched to a 14Q. Last night when doing the borders, with the same thread, different colour, all stitched fine using the AccuFeed, so it's definitely something with the FMQing ..... and of course that's so many variables!

JenniKy ... I forgot to say thanks about the TNT ... I love neat things like that to help trick my brain into remembering! I take it that's a book you referenced? ... sounds like a great help to have by your side! Could you please photo it, and show here, along with the details we'd need to locate it.

I've got the stippled background done ... from the earlier advice, I eased off on the tension some and all seemed to stitch OK, but still shred/broke, but I got much further in between. I've now started the outside borders, so the finish is in site.

QuiltE...do you notice that the thread breaks more when you go to the left or to the right and up at a 45 to 90 degree angle? I forget which way it is but there is one direction that the Janome drive system doesn't respond to well. Slowing down a smidge on the turn might help a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    QuiltE...do you notice that the thread breaks more when you go to the left or to the right and up at a 45 to 90 degree angle? I forget which way it is but there is one direction that the Janome drive system doesn't respond to well. Slowing down a smidge on the turn might help a bit.
    It doesn't happen instantly as ... I notice the shredding/fraying, and then stop, so I can cut a length, and then have something to tie off and bury. And of course, if I don't notice it, yes, it breaks. Just finished all the border cross-hatch and no problems.

Just thinking ... with what you mentioned,
    GGal ... I was doing small stipple, so there was lots of twisting, turning, curving.

Thanks GGal and All, for continuing to help me troubleshoot on this.
    If you can think of anything more, particularly Janome specific, please let me know. I've been thinking of going in to the shop and having them give me a detailed FMQ lesson. Then I could ask lots of specific questions about overcoming the problem or anything else! I do love my machine though!!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-02-2012 at 09:46 AM.

I found Monty at the Canada Day festivities and eating Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped cream ... and dragged him back home by the scruff of his neck!

TaDaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Name:  IntlPatriotic 009.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  1.45 MB

Name:  IntlPatriotic 008.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  1.46 MB

Blog Entries
    QuiltE Monty is simply adorable. Im sure he would rather I say handsome. What a fantastic job I will take a picture of the book for you tomorrow when I get my mind back together and am rested. DH and I went on a scouting trip to a town about two hours south east of where we live. We have decided to relocate locally instead of going back to Arizona or Texas which was our plan. If we are staying in Indiana we decided we had to move closer to better medical facilities. Our research for our needs put us looking in Lafayette Indiana. DH was thrilled we both fell in love with the town right away. We even stumbled upon the perfect house for us. So now we have to start filling out paperwork and such to see if we can get the house we want. In the wonderful neighborhood we happened upon on our scouting trip. I will check in again with everyone tomorrow after I have rested.
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I found Monty at the Canada Day festivities and eating Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped cream ... and dragged him back home by the scruff of his neck!

TaDaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Name:  IntlPatriotic 009.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  1.45 MB

Name:  IntlPatriotic 008.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  1.46 MB
    Oh he's darlin'! Ya did a great job on Monty!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Nice! Monty looks very regal! (love your flower basket too!)

Linda

Thanks everyone!
    Monty appreciates all the attention you're giving him, too!

ooo QuiltE - he's marvelous!!
    Liz / Calgary

Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast