Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: International Patriotic Challenge

Blog Entries
    QuiltE, I love Monty!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    So Im thinking 23 X 17. How does that sound? I set my deadline for September 1st for Monty on Horseback. This will be fun as Im sure I will learn more about Canada with this project challenge. Im really excited I have already started earmarking poised men on horseback.
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by works4me View Post
    Monty as honour guard. Wonderful idea. Next year he can be promoted and get a horse.

So what else should he be doing?

After all the background fabric has the O Canada lyrics .... O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!!

Last night I noticed that the background piece in the top right corner had the full verse printed in it, though with the final seam the last word would be gone. So I carefully recut that block aka fussycut so that it'd be all there and complete. Wonder if there's any way I can quilt it or embelish it to finish it up differently, to showcase it?
    Last edited by QuiltE; 06-22-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Working on my firehouse block today. Auditioning type of flower I want on the block. I have been thinking a bird of paradise but need to figure placement. So will be playing with templates until Im sure.
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    So Im thinking 23 X 17. How does that sound? I set my deadline for September 1st for Monty on Horseback. This will be fun as Im sure I will learn more about Canada with this project challenge. Im really excited I have already started earmarking poised men on horseback.

Oh JenniKy ... what a sweetie you are! And what an honour that you'd like to learn more about Canada!!!! I'll start watching for some models for you ... oh I just thought of one that'll excite Muv .... it's of the Queen in 1952! I'll get a pic of it for you. Maybe your firehouse flower should be the Indiana Sate Flower? Peonies, right?

SewEx and YaYa ... Monty says Merci!

And for all ... the faceless Monty steps out ..........

Name:  IntlPatriotic 005.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  1.50 MB

Blog Entries
    So handsome Monty I can imagine you are having difficulty finding the right fabric for his flesh. Im preparing to start sewing on the flowers onto the firehouse. I looked at the Peonies however the Pink would clash... bang.. and put my firehouse out of business...LOL However the State Tree for Indiana is the Tulip tree and it has a pretty Yellow flower which will work very well. I made the fire engine yellow so Im liking it. Thanks QuiltE for sending me in the direction of Indiana State fauna
    Name:  Tuliptree.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  80.2 KB
    Have an awesome day!

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Tulip Trees! I never even thought of that option ... and absolutely, JenniKy, you must have colour coordinated flowers with the firehouse! Yes, flesh is hard to replicate ... though I've come up with an idea.

All right
    Folks ... I knocked off early from work then went to work. Oh the joys of being the boss!!!! ....... 13 bags of black mulch later, one pooped puppy here!! I'm sure I can revive after a shower and some supper ... and perhaps find something to sew??

Oh wow! I go out'a town for a couple of days & so much happens! Monty & the musical ride & tulip tree flowers! Such fun.
    I did sign on my "new" lake house in Brady! (I found out that it was built in 1920 & was a farm house, & someone moved it ta Brady in 1966!) Yippie! Now I gotta do a lot'a work on it. Inside needs paintin' & all o'the floorin' needs to be replaced. The hot water heater quit heatin' that afternoon.
    Lots ta do!
    My DGM is so excited
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Oh wow! I go out'a town for a couple of days & so much happens! Monty & the musical ride & tulip tree flowers! Such fun.
    I did sign on my "new" lake house in Brady! (I found out that it was built in 1920 & was a farm house, & someone moved it ta Brady in 1966!) Yippie! Now I gotta do a lot'a work on it. Inside needs paintin' & all o'the floorin' needs to be replaced. The hot water heater quit heatin' that afternoon.
    Lots ta do!
    My DGM is so excited
    Welcome back Bev and sounds like you had some fun with history yourself. The house we live in was built in the 30"s I know how much work we had to do on it..so I can only imagine what you have in store.

Now all we need is to find out where Muv is hiding.. LOL
    Have an awesome day!

Hey Muuuuuuuv? Where arrrrrrrrrrre ya?
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Well Im holding off on finishing up my flowers. The bright yellow thread I have is acting horrible. I think it is too heavy wrong kind of thread.. so will have to pay a visit to JoAnns tomorrow and pick up a different type of thread. Here is what I have going so far. I still have more to add to fire engine and the bunting and the sign for the Fire House. Its coming along real fine.

Name:  fireflower.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  108.1 KB
    Have an awesome day!

Yoooooooohooooooooooo Muvvvvvvvvv!!!!!!!
    Come Out, Come Out, wherever you are!

Looking Good
    JenniKy ... I'm just starting to learn about the different thread possibilities and how they can change the looks of a project.

Jenniky - you are such a wonderful artist. I love the vision you display! That fire house is coming along so great!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

That's gonna be darlin'! (I may have already said this but if so it bares (sp?) repeatin' again!)
    Bev

Muv
    Good morning Ladies! No, I haven't disappeared... I was a bit poorly last weekend, all Sunday and half of Monday in bed, and have been functioning on a flat battery all week.

Anyway, second cup of coffee coming up and here I am.

What fun you have all been having, who would have thought the Patriotic Challenge was going to turn into the International Design Project? As soon as Monty starts taking shape he has an offer of a horse!

Works4me - I love your maple leaf quilt, and it is finished well on time, huge round of applause from across the Atlantic! Raise a glass on Canada Day and consider me there in spirit.

QuiltE - what a lovely album quilt, so much work! And Monty is looking much bigger than I expected. He definitely deserves a horse.

Jenniky - wonderful fire engine and the yellow peony is gorgeous.

Last night I watched the Mounties' Musical Ride on Youtube, completely wonderful. The formation that fascinated me was threading the needle (to be expected, I suppose), then I watched the Household Cavalry's Musical Ride which was totally different, and loved the standard bearers in their pillbox hats. Now there's an idea for a patriotic design, a standard bearer... Not this year.

Perhaps I will finish the thistle today. It's about time, I'm almost there.

Blog Entries
    Muv Im sorry to hear you werent feeling good.. You were missed as you can tell by our posts. The flowers are suppose to be from the Tulip tree which is the Indiana State Tree. However Im not a botanist so they could be Peonies too.. Thanks everyone for appreciating my firehouse. My firetruck looks kindy of wacky but I was trying to use fabrics from my stash. Even though it looks a bit silly with those huge swirling grills on the front. I still have to put on the side mirrors and headlights and I think I will have to fore go putting the siren atop. Ran out of head space for the truck. Even so the truck has become endearing to me.. LOL Actually it reminds me of a donut truck that use to come around the neighborhood when I was a child selling fresh donuts and hot chocolate or coffee. We had a vegetable truck that came around also and of course every neighborhood has an ice cream truck that comes around playing its merry go round music. Hmmm ideas for blocks 2 and 3.. I'll think on it.
    Have an awesome day!

Welcome Back Muv!!
    No doubt, you heard us all calling you!!!! So sorry that you weren't feeling so good, but good to know that you are getting better. No doubt that 2nd coffee helped has made the difference!! Glad that you liked Monty ... he will have a wee bit of MM, for me to try your technique. Glad you too enjoyed the Musical Ride ... now would you please show us your Cavalry's talents via a link?

JenniKy ... wacky is always fun and I think that's what this will become as you add on the ice cream truck! I particularly liked the swirly grills, as firemen always shine their trucks so well, the swirls just looked like chrome shining brightly. Could you fit your siren in overtop of the yellow and a bit into the red of the building ... it would just be the optical illusion of having already come thru the door and from a kid's short height, it would appear taller than the opening, but not so IRL. Never heard of neighbourhood veggie trucks, but makes sense. Of course, with me being a farm kid I didn't even know about ice cream trucks until I visited my city cousins one time ... I learned fast! and had great envy!! Any carousels in your parks to add to your continuing blocks for your town? That'd be fun, and let you do a wee pony!

I'm off to get my hair clipped in a few minutes and hopefully find some flesh!! Although unfortunately I will need to get some more mulch to distract me from the development of Monty-man.

Muv
    Hello Jenniky - I'm much better thanks. Yes, I managed to mix up the tulip tree and the peony and turned them into a yellow tree peony!

Feast your eyes on these horses and imagine what the battles used to be like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EwkDWDesjk the Household Cavalry at their annual open day at their camp in Norfolk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYcmWyeH6D0 and at a big show in Abu Dhabi

And hooray hooray I finished the thistle today. The next block will be flax flowers for Northern Ireland, so for the first time I on this project I will be using blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh Muv - you do such gorgeous work. All those little stitches - wow, I'm in awe!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Muv you continue to be an inspiration to me. Next block I am going to do hand stitching... Your handwork is so very beautiful. It will be so very exciting to see your quilt all together.

Ladies love your ideas.. for blocks Im writing all this down in my project design book.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Watch the you tube videos of the House Ride.. Was hard to pull myself away from wanting to watch more and more..Love the horses. Beautiful riding exposition. Thanks so much for sharing.. Was totally enraptured with the beauty of the ride.
    Have an awesome day!

Muv ... ouch! ouch! ouch! Those pirickles hurt. I was thinking of your thistle yesterday when I pulled a big nasty one out of my lawn. Not sure how it got so big, with the grass being cut regularly!

I continue to be amazed at how even and consistent your blanket stitch is around the edges. And now onwards to the blue flax flowers, so delicate in comparison to the thistle!

A question ... do you use embroidery floss? And how many strands?

Thank you for the links ... my how the armour and helmets give such a different look to our Mounties! Quite an impressive presentation in AbuDabi and at home.

JenniKy ... your book is going to be overflowing!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 06-24-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Muv
    Hello QuiltE, I've got plenty of real thistles too, but I'm past caring this summer, we've had nothing but rain.

Glad you and Jenniky have enjoyed the cavalry. The Youtube channel, menintallboots, is completely amazing and addictive. There are three videos altogether of the Household Cavalry at their show at their own camp, I only gave the link to Part 2. In Part 1 one horse is naughty and won't lie down, and in Part 3 a standard bearer gets so seriously wrapped up in the Welsh flag it's almost scary. That channel also has a video of the French Garde Republicaine. You should watch it, and compare with the British. Hilarious. You cross a narrow stretch of water and you are in a different world.

Anyway, back to sewing, I use 4 strands for the blanket stitch. I haven't started on the flax flower yet - it's that mid-project lull, must get going again... tomorrow...

the beginnings (one whole block) of a Canadian Quilt of Valor - will be all red and white blocks with (very narrow) blue sashing; block based on: http://fiberartalmosteveryday.blogsp...ilt-block.html
    Name:  1stMapleLeafBlock.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  105.1 KB
    Liz / Calgary

Blog Entries
    QuiltE - Thats ok if I fill up my project book.. I have two more blank ones in the drawer just waiting to be filled with ideas.
    Muv- Are we going to get a peek at the flax?? was that what you said? anyways soon. I dont have an image in my mind.

Liz - looks like a fun block. Glad you could join us.

Also ladies I need a little help. Im going sandwich some 16 inch squares. Plain fabric. So as to practice on FMQ. What is the best way to put the design on the tops. I have tried the chalk stuff and also those papers you trace over with that bumpy thingamajig.. LOL obviously not the correct term. These are messy and smudge. I have some pens with the disappearing ink stuff but I still have some blue ink that didnt come off on one of the test squares I was working with. Hmm.. Also do you put all the designs on before you start quilting. How do you decide on best color of thread. I want to use the same through out the quilt when I get started so the design on the back will look awesome also. Too many questions.. ??? Im going to try and FMQ my mystery train quilt tomorrow and I am trying to prepare myself best I can.
    Have an awesome day!

Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast