Newbies challenge

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM

For New Quilters looking for a pattern try this site.

www.aenathan.com

When walmart had their quilt of the month, they got their patterns from here. I have found several that I saved to make latter. For newbies, I recommend sticking to square blocks to start with.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 AM

I would like to applique a few pics etc on a quilt, but do not know how to do it. I bought some "wonder under" and can iron on to get it on but do you have raw edges? Do you just sew around the edges, and if you do, will it stand up over the years of washing?

Thanks,

Eisgoow
Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 AM

Great idea! I am looking for a Vet who can help with questions about my Janome 1600P (new to me) as I'm at the practicing FMQ stage. I have made a few quilts and done grid or SID quilting. My current frustration, which I've read about from many, is frequent breaking thread. I think my problem is tension and would like to know a Janome 1600P'er who can tell what tension to start off with for FMQ. My stitches don't look horrible but very difficult to tell when a newbie and practicing!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Lots of comments on this thread and I had missed it completely. I've been quilting only for 3 or so years, so I might be a good "not-so-intimidating" mentor for somebody. I don't do applique or paper piecing or hand-quilting though. For piecing and quilting help, PM me! I would love to adopt somebody!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 AM

I would love to have a needle turn applique mentor.....its something I really want to learn to do well
Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Originally Posted by Neebee2
Hi, I am a newbe and looking for a load of help...what are all the FMQ and whatever mean? I have a Estane tht is about 5 years old and hardly used. Will someone take me on?
FMQ (free motion quilting) and there are quilt acranyms posted a few times on the site, but I know they are on page 83. There are also LOTS of links and information shared and posted in this newbie's site. All our latest newcomers, please read back many pages 25 at least, to notice all the information shared.

Then when our newbie's or experienced 30 yr sewers needing help with a specific technique. PLEASE, post exactly what your question is. Some have connected with something in common, and "adopted" someone. But we have so many needing help, not near enough people to adopt, so it's great to post openly, and someone will find the answer and post back... but this way, everyone get's to learn from each other's questions. And sometimes more than one option is shared. I have learned 4 ways to do a log cabin quilt, I believe there are at least 3 ways to applique. Several ways to baste a quilt. Several ways to actually "quilt" your final stage of making your quilt. I know I'm still learning myself, but hope I can help someone really new to quilting also. I think quilter's are among the friendliest people. Debbie
I have a list of Quilt Mentors and Newbies that I have been matching. If you would like one on one help please PM me, virtualbernie, I actually have 3 mentors waiting to help a newbie!

I agree with Debbie that there are lots of links and information but this particular posting was to be used to recruit mentors and newbies--not to impart valuable information that many others on the board could use or answer. If you post here, there are a limited amount of folks that see. If you create a new topic you get a gadrillion answers to choose from.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

What a great idea. A lady in my church asked me to teach quilting a few years ago to a couple of the ladies. Two years later 1 still comes. Most stayed 3 or 4 months till they have the basic skills and by the time the are ready to move on there has always been someone to take their place. You can see some of their quilts on the blog I set up faithquilters.blogspot.com
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm a newbie too! Believe me I've had a ton of questions. I've been sewing for many years and always wanted to learn how to quilt. I retired a year ago and finally have enough time to give it a whirl! I am making a quilt for a granddaughter due on April. The top quilt is actually a McCalls pattern that has felt bears, flowers, and bumble bees appliqued on it. Within the next few weeks I will start assembling it together and will need help! by the way, what are all of those fancy stitches called that are all over the tops of some of these quilts?

I'm up for adoption! Janie in Minnesota!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Hi I'm Tamara and I'm a newbie and would love the extra help. I have so much to learn, but I'm a fast learner

Tamara in Virginia
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Wanted to share this, new & experienced quilters both.
http://how-to-quilt.com/binding.php
The link is for adding binding that's not lumpy, even and nice.

This link is about quilting with silk, fabric, kimono's, men's suite hankies, silk tie's.
http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles...abric-silk.php

This site also has many other useful information for "A Beginners Guild To Quilting"

Hope these links I've been sharing help. Newbie's we have Quilt Acranyms on Pg 83, and between here & there, I've posted many links on quilting for tutorials easy to follow.
If your new to this site, do read back 20 pages or so, you'll see the links (highlighted) to know when to catch a posting. Debbie