Newbies challenge

Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM

I have been making quilts for 40 years but still consider myself a Quasi newbie. I mean, I started FMQ and paperpiecing last year. It took me 7 years to hand quilt a double quilt, finished in 1991. I am learning all kinds of things lately even though I made my first quilt for 4-H 40 years ago. I will help if I can but I get a lot of help from this group.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Donna I think there are alot of gals or guys on here that are from Texas. Maybe one of them is close to you? Or have you checked to see if there is a local quilt guild you could join? Ask at your local quilt shop and they would probably know.
Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the Cal-Ore border

Originally Posted by donnacollierbess
I'd love to know more about applique...I'm totally clueless except for the fact that I love seeing the appliqued items I see here. Up for an adoptee????
Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Me too I am a newbie only made rag quilts and a couple of baby quilts so far. want to learn it all Started a quilt I think it is called a friendship quilt I am going to embroider my grand kids name in the center or the star can uae any help I can get
Old 04-23-2011, 04:05 AM

I have a 6500, not a lot diff from th e6600, where exactly do you live in Co? I was born in Fairplay, raised in Denver age 5 to 20 and lived in Grand Junction for 1986 to 2007.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 AM

I'm no expert (EXPERT is: a Drip under Pressure) but I have 50 years of crafty sewing under my belt. My knowledge or lack of it comes out of the questions you ask. If I don't know the answer I will tell you and we will learn the answers together. This could be fun.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM

Hi, I have been a member on the board for a couple of months. I have moved to NY with my daughter who has been quilting for a couple of years and she now has me into it to. I have only done a couple quilt tops but am starting to do the actual sandwiching and quilting. I will do the stitch in the ditch for my first quilting design. My daughter is a great teacher but she is learning as well so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 04-23-2011, 02:14 PM

I too am new to quilting, I would like to have someone to give me pointers. I have made a baby quit with stich in dich and a couple of rag quilts but am having trouble deciding what I want to do for myself. I really would like to know how to make trangles and flying geese thanks for all your help Cookie
Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Hi my name is Sheila (memoryloss). I have only been quilting about 3 years. But I am more than willing to help you with beginning to quilt and share any knowledge that I have acquired.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Newbie for adoption!! =)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 AM

I'm a newbie too, working on my first quilt for my first grandchild. I hand stitch as FM on my machine frightens me (I have tried it and can't seem to get my tension right and it's a nightmare). Having to take a rest at the moment as my thumb is sore and swollen (ibuprofening it up with some icing). I'm thinking it was from trying to pull the needle through multiple layers of fabric at seams, got smart and went out today for those rubber fingers to aid in that step.
Anyway, I'd love to dive into more quilting after this simple baby quilt I'm making (just a patchwork). My grandma used to quilt these beautiful parasol lady quilts that I have yet to find a template for and she has since gotten rid of all her quilting supplies. I have 2 tops from her but they have dry rotted as they are more than half my age. I wanted to finish them to have something to remember her by when she's gone.
Enough rambling. As I said, I'd love anyone to help guide me when I take on the challenge of more intricate and larger patterns.