Newbies challenge

Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 PM

:shock: WOW!! You're a very busy lady! And I thought I had an extensive library! But mine are just book, magazines and a few DVDs. I wish I had the time to take classes. Right now I'm helping my daughter get ready for a new great grand daughter. Her first grandchild. Well, thank you for the insight. You're a real inspiration. :lol:
Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
:shock: WOW!! You're a very busy lady! And I thought I had an extensive library! But mine are just book, magazines and a few DVDs. I wish I had the time to take classes. Right now I'm helping my daughter get ready for a new great grand daughter. Her first grandchild. Well, thank you for the insight. You're a real inspiration. :lol:
Sorry to hear of her granchild, we lost our son, I know what it's like, he was 23. We lost 5 babies, and 4 where c-section emergency deliveries to save them. Then I had cervical cancer also, and they said enough if I want to raise my children, hysterectomy time. We have 5 beautiful wonderful children. One born 2 wks late @ 9 lbs is now just a little 5' mom of 4 herself. One born 7 wks early I hemorraged, but he was saved, we had him 23 yrs and I was with him 9 mo in hospital before he left us.
Next was born 6 wks early, has a bad heart valve, but she's Barbie doll beautiful, smart as a whip, married and hoping for her first child. Then I had cervical cancer, they said I couldn't have more children, and where shocked when the 4th came at full term but 5 lbs, she's still only 4'11" and under 100 lbs still, has severe asthma (nearly lost her giving birth to her son), has "I'm older than I look" on her business card, sells real estate, married with a son 2 yrs. Then our baby really shocked docs, said I'd never see this happen again, that time was a miracle. My cervix was removed and scared shut, they thought, and then I had another and went full term. She'll be 22 next wk, has a 3 yr daughter & melanoma cancer. We had lost a baby before our first, and 4 after her before the son was born.
I believe each child, trials and all, are a great blessing. I believe each trial only makes us stronger. I pray the best for your granddaughter and her baby. I've had 41 surgeries, and hope to see my grandchildren have children like my mom has...that would be my greatest desire, growing old beside my husband. At least I have a very wonderful man by my side through all the grief I've put us through (unintentionally, still). He's protective, supportive, encouraging, loving, works too hard, and gives generously. Now, if we could just get our youngest two daughters to straighten out their lives and lesson a burdon on their dad. He's been working 150 hrs/wk, and 24hr robs you don't come home between, continuous until it's finished, sleep in a pick up or shack. Only 2 days a month off. And they seem to make the worst choices, and if not for those precious granchildren..well, he feels he has to help. One is moving back home again now, which is easier for us to help her than paying her bills ontop of ours. Another is getting divorced and moving home this spring for a few months too. I look forward to moving ahead in our lives, and hope we can see them move forward and successful finally in theirs. We're paying for a house in one town, DH works 4 hrs away so we have an apt. in that town, and would love to build our future after raising our children...guess parenting doesn't end.
One piece of wisdom...take care of yourself to be there for others. You need your own sanity if quilting relaxes, make time. You need to keep your mind sharp, quilting works that, make time. Your gifts made keep your emotional 'heart' strong, make time. Even with social work or family, it's uplifting to learn & make new friends, take classes or active in a quilt guild, make time.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have not been quilting too long and the dresden plate is my newest "thing". I am having problems tho when I sew the blades/petals the center part is always bunchy and doesn't lay flat. What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
I have not been quilting too long and the dresden plate is my newest "thing". I am having problems tho when I sew the blades/petals the center part is always bunchy and doesn't lay flat. What am I doing wrong?
Take in a little more on the seam that is towards the center; like an 1/8 " or less. On the ones you have already sewn , do it in 4 or 5 places.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Great idea! I'm open for adoption! I just joined last week and I'm a beginning beginner. Would love someone to be there when I need help!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Great idea! I'm open for adoption! I just joined last week and I'm a beginning beginner. Would love someone to be there when I need help!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM

I would like a mentor, +/or quilting big sister. I took a beginner quilting class and sampler class 25 years ago and made a couple of wall hanging in the interim. Getting back into it to finish the quilt I promised my older daughter in about '95. I've done nothing quilting for about 10 years or so until this fall. In the 90's I completed 9 or the approx. 108 flying geese I'll need for DD1's quilt. I have continued to collected fabric over the years as I intend to make each one different. Remnants have been a good options.

So I am looking to be adopted as kind of an Older kid I'd guess.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 PM

I would love to be adopted. I am 55 years old. I am a mother of three and have three beautiful granddaughters. My mother was going to teach me to quilt but passed away of a massive stroke before she could. The only thing I have done is the quilt posted using a panel for my sister with breast cancer. So I am really a newbie!!! Can anyone help me I would so love to keep the craft my mother loved alive. DeborahA
Old 11-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Thank you for listing the acronyms. I am a newbie and reading/learning alot here..but would get lost on the acronyms.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by quazyquilter
I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:
this is a great idea.... plzzzzzzzz someone adopt ME!!! lol...

Hugsssss ladies