Newbies challenge

Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 PM

i'd love to be someone's mommy..

ive been quilting on and off for a very long time. i even taught quilting for a few years. i love colors and trying out all techniques.

that said, i live in india, and may or may not have access to all the goodies out there. esp batting. we get ONE kind of poly batting here, in different thicknesses. believe it or not, at the car upholsterers store!!

i recently acquired a new machine, a souped up version of the 4120qdc that Janome markets in india. it has enough bells and whistles to get me all excited, and is great for fmq!! i'm just binding a 64"x100" quilt i started exactly 4 weeks ago

i'm still learning my way around QB, so i hope i don't miss any messages..
Old 01-15-2014, 06:49 AM

I have taken you up on your offer and made one invitation. Great idea, thank you for the inspiration
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM

I have never quilted before!!! I have a sewing machine gathering dust in our annex, I only use it for basic household repairs like sewing holes in our son's clothes up!!!! I would love to put it to much better uses.
Today I bought myself Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine. Although some of the projects look amazing I feel they are rather advanced for me.
I would love to start off by maybe making a basic quilt made out of squares or rectangles as I have been told this is the easiest shapes to work with on a first project. I would be happy to follow any step by step guides and listen to any advice any of you veterans are willing to give me.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Just found this thread too and WOW it's 3 yrs old! I can only say that I think that I took all the members of QB as if they were my parents and moms! There are so many wonderful people who help, teaches, supports and applauds and make our way novice and self-taught much easier! Thank you all from my heart! : Thumbup:
Old 02-08-2014, 04:37 AM

Have you been adopted yet and if not are you still interested?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Hi, I started quilting back in 1994. This was under the guidance of an English lady who had me cut templates then cut my blocks from these with scissors. Two blocks a week pieced by hand for a sampler quilt.
Unknown to her I found rulers and a rotary cutter and saved myself some time by "cheating".
We were allowed to add the sashing and finish by machine then quilt by hand.
Like my first child this first quilt took me nine months to make but I was hooked and patchwork became my passion.
Since then I have taught a few friends to make quilts and have derived much pleasure from this.
i live in Australia and belong to a small group that meets each week
Most of my quilts are traditional patchwork such as Irish chains, double wedding rings, etc.
I'm willing to mentor a newbie.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks spinner52 but I have changed my mind.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=KittyKate;6562191]Hi, I started quilting back in 1994. This was under the guidance of an English lady who had me cut templates then cut my blocks from these with scissors. Two blocks a week pieced by hand for a sampler quilt.
That's how I learned to quilt, but rotary cutters hadn't been invented yet!! I still love to hand piece. I have that first quilt, which I hand quilted and it took me MUCH longer than 9 months. I can't believe how horrible my color choices were. I love to look at it and see how far I've come.
cindy
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 AM

I need someone!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 PM
efa

I'm up for adoption. I started quilting in Dec. 2012. I have attended 3 classes at "You Can Quilt" shop in Peoria, AZ. I have completed 1 D9P wall hanging, 1 mini charms baby quilt, a set of 6 mug rugs and am working on a whirly gig quilt done with the Lil Twister tool. I also made a full size quilt for my granddaughter that I designed myself. Kelly at YCQ is a very good instructor. I also attended her "New York Beauty" class but have not finished it yet. I just finished a patchwork elephant that was fun to do. I pick up on things pretty fast. I guess when I decided to learn to quilt I just went full steam ahead.