Newbies challenge

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by calder
im a newbie would love to be adopted but i come from scotland
A lot of the help is in the form of tutorials and PMs, so you could be adopted by someone anywhere in the world!

I'll help if I can. With what are you needing help?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I saw a great idea on a quilt show, though can't remember which one. Start with white tulle and something to attach it to. I've used a picture mat and duct taped the tulle to it, but now I use an embroidery hoop cause it's easier and faster, but you have to use the hoop upside down so the tulle lays flat on the stencil. Trace the design onto the tulle with a permanent marker (you can see through the holes in the tulle). Then put the tulle, still attached to mat or hoop, onto the quilt and follow the lines using your chalk pencil. The chalk rubs through the holes and makes an unbroken line for a pattern. Tulle is cheap and you can reuse it. I store mine folded in a plastic sleeve and keep them in a binder. I put the original paper pattern on top the tulle in the sleeve so that I can easily find the pattern I want. It's a pretty good system.
I know this trick too. Suggestion...after tracing the pattern onto the tule with a permanent marker, iron the tule to set the ink so it doesn't come off on the fabric. I then save my tule to reuse the same pattern again later.

Instead of chalk (which can gum up your machine if you machine quilt), Crayola has new washable fine tip pens. I used them on my last quilt and they washed out great. Used cold water even though it said to use hot/warm. They come in the 8 major Crayola colors too! Great for dark and light colored fabric. I found mine at Joanne's but I recently saw them at Walmart in the office/school supplies aisle.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM

Hi out there. Does anyone on the list live in Alaska?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 AM

I am a newbie and up for adoption. I am going to make my son a throw using animal print flannel 6inch squares. I have never worked with flannel, any suggestions on the best way to mark the material. He will be helping to cut out the squares.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM

I am up for adoption as well! Anyone feel free to adopt me and teach me, please!!!!! I have my first quilt squares done and ready to do the sashing for them to finish the quilt top. I know when I get to binding I will have a bazillion questions!

Tracy
Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Hello everyone: I just joined this group and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on double wedding ring quilts. I am making one for my granddaughter and am paper piecing the arcs. It is scrappy and have hundreds of different fabrics from charm packs. I finally came up with the idea that the arcs, themselves, will be appliqued onto the background because I could not make all those meeting points work. Any ideas on "piecing" the background as I do not want to deal with the entire quilt (queen size) in one unit as I am hand appliquing the arcs to the background? I have some ideas, but maybe an experienced quilter could help?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM

Dear quiltandcrochetGMA: Honestly, I've been SO pleased with John Flynn's method of doing the Double Wedding rings I'd have recommended, but sounds like you have a gorgeous project well underway... His method is SO easy, and turns out PERFECT circles quickly. It's strip pieced...then cut the width of the arc, then go back and widen seam allowance to fit the arc to the stencil, etc. EVERY part has perfect stencils. It is very precise. I LOVE IT! Just passing along the info in case it might be useful. IF you have cut the pieces already, you might still enjoy using the stencils, to be sure the angle and pieces perfectly fit??
Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 AM

That is the true spirit of a quilter! The teach someone else what you know! I have been quilting for a long time, but, no , I do not know it all. I love to hand quilt, I know nothing of machine quilting. I make bias cut binding for all my quilts (it's easy, really). I do needle turn applique', and hand embroidery. I can paper peice....my point is...I would love to help a newbie ( and yes, some newbies have been at for a while...it;s ok :P )
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM

UMMMM???!!! I'm a Newbie to this board but to quilting? NO! I've been stitching, quilting, sewing, knitting, crochet, lacing, bobbin lacing, and any other type of needle craft since I was a kid. Well over 25 odd years... so which group do I belong in. Also I long-arm quilt for quilters who piece during the winter months and want it quilted in time to put into the state fairs. So really not sure where I belong on this one. I'm a veteran but not to this board. I hope to make many friends here. Actually looking for a few things for my 1953 Singer sewing machine. It has a speciality disc that goes into the top and I am looking to buy them, if of course I can find them.
Lori
owner/operator/quilter of
Bea Sew Happy
a private quilter who only locals know of.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM

I am a newbie as well, and would LOVE to be mentored, encouraged, disciplined in all things fun and quiltable.. I hope someone would enjoy answering questions, teaching, sharing insights and patterns with someone like me , that is always trying to take quilting out of the box, so to speak, and making it my own ..
karen