Newbies challenge

Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 PM

boy, I wish I would have found something like this when I first started ten years ago.. I taught myself from books from the library!!!I can adopt someone. I still haven't done curved pieces or inset seam myself, but the rest I am good at.
I piece my blocks on my machine, but then I hand quilt everything I do. If I an me of help, personal message(PM) me and we can exchange some info.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:15 AM

i'm anewbie. i don't think i'd be much fun to adopt right now though. i'm pretty distracted with a brand new grandbaby. he's 4 days old and i'm at their house helping get things of to a good start. then when i go home, i'll have my parents, in poor health, and my son's family, still looking for a house, sharing my house and time. oh, then there's work...
i do have a question and you guys say no questions are stupid...i downloaded some free stencil designs, i've got a chalk pencil, now how do i get the design to the quilt top?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Laurac,

I am guessing the stencil you have downloaded is printed on paper. If it is dark enough to see through the fabric, lay the fabric on top and trace with your chalk pancil. A light box may help, but I have found that I don't always need one.

Hope this helps. If not, send me a pm, and we can go into a little more detail on your question.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM

I saw a great idea on a quilt show, though can't remember which one. Start with white tulle and something to attach it to. I've used a picture mat and duct taped the tulle to it, but now I use an embroidery hoop cause it's easier and faster, but you have to use the hoop upside down so the tulle lays flat on the stencil. Trace the design onto the tulle with a permanent marker (you can see through the holes in the tulle). Then put the tulle, still attached to mat or hoop, onto the quilt and follow the lines using your chalk pencil. The chalk rubs through the holes and makes an unbroken line for a pattern. Tulle is cheap and you can reuse it. I store mine folded in a plastic sleeve and keep them in a binder. I put the original paper pattern on top the tulle in the sleeve so that I can easily find the pattern I want. It's a pretty good system.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM

so clever!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM

I would love to adopt a newbie. I am in South Texas and have been quilting for over 10 years.

I love piecing, free motion quilting, wholecloth. Not much into applique or paper piecing. So if someone interested please PM.
Jackie ;)
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 AM

I am a "newbie" and would love to be adopted. I have been sewing for as long as I can remember. Bought a new machine last fall-Janome 9700 (?)Love it. Still learning how to use it. I am doing pretty good with the piecing end of it. It is the quilting I am scared to try the stiching variations. I have done the boring straight stiches. I have made 2 large quilts otherwise baby quilts and only tied them with yarn like grama showed me. Haven't tried hand quilting but my GF keeps telling me to try it. This weekend I was planning on buying a hoop to do a small project first. After seeing my first quilt for my nieces wedding present, my sisters all ordered one too. I have a lot to do.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 AM

im a newbie would love to be adopted but i come from scotland
Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 AM

I'm a toddler who has the idea and I have made quilts. But still would like a mommy to have my questions answered. And help me if I fall down. I need a kind mommy with patience. I would like to learn how to do a dresden quilt. I have a pattern and the material. But can't seem to get started. I also would like to learn how to paper piece and applique.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Did someone say they were interested in Dresden pattern? I've never even considered making one...But I did notice John Flynn's custom lazer cut patterns showed they HAD a kit, whether they still do I don't know. ANYwho...just think it looks precision type cutting so almost considered one of those kits. Any sage advise on "how to" would be GREATLY appreciated. I bought a bunch of Windham Fabrics' Williamsburg & Historical Conn (12 - assorted) this weekend online. It will be for my mother. I was actually considering Dresden patten. It looks so hard though. Working on Flynn's Double Wedding Rings before the big redo, but when finished want to get back to the Wedding Rings project. This is my first Wedding Rings project. Never thought I could do it. His book is awesome. Rings are actually round!!! ; - D