Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 65 74 75
Results 1,851 to 1,874 of 1874

Thread: Newbies challenge

Blog Entries
    I'm up for adoption also. I have quilted in the past but made it up as I went along. If someone can put up with a million questions.........please help me out..........softblocklady

Tag! SoftBlockLady! You're mine!!! Happy to share with others, but if you have any questions DO NOT be afraid to ask! I love sharing my knowledge and have lots of tips and hints to help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingByFiona View Post
    Tag! SoftBlockLady! You're mine!!! Happy to share with others, but if you have any questions DO NOT be afraid to ask! I love sharing my knowledge and have lots of tips and hints to help!
    Thank you QuiltingByFiona.................I know so very little...........Would you prefer personal messages? I don't get around this web site very well. I would like to learn how to do that, add pictures and reference material. I will gather some questions for you that I wasn't able to get the answers for earlier. Hope you can tolerate me. There is so much that I want to learn.

I'm adoptable

Blog Entries
    I am not a newbie per say. I have been quilting for around 5 years now. I have most of the basics down and would like to go more advance. I am looking for someone willing to help me get there. I have tried paper piecing, love applique, and am working on trying to master the basics in FMQ so I can move onto the more advanced stuff. I am really hard on myself so no need to worry about hurting my feelings or anything like that.

Anyone willing to help me move onto more complicated things let me know.

I'm up for adoption! I've been quilting for about 7 years ... just recently tried FMQ and almost threw my machine out the window.

I don't like to follow a pattern (way too much structure), but could likely benefit from it LOL

I've made lots of quilts, donated all of them ... have a couple lying around ... I'll post some in the albums section ...
    Thanks in advance!

Marion
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-11-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: remove link to own website

I'm putting myself up for adoption! I'm self-taught, so I'm sure I have a long way to go, and that I'm doing many things the "wrong" way. Mostly, I'm looking for someone (preferrably on of the Phoenix area gals!) to help me learn to FMQ. I bought the foot, and gave up almost instantly. I just don't seem to get the concept of it! I've looked on Pinterest and Youtube, but to no avail. It just doesn't CLICK.

Also, I've inherited two older machines, and because they are so different from my newer (but not as fancy) Brother, I am intimidated by trying them. I guess it's just easier to stick with what I know!

Anyway, if there is anyone willing to attempt to teach me to do more than straight lines and echo quilting, I would be much obliged!
    Megan
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/K9Creative
    Happiness is a new quilt and an old dog.

Blog Entries
    I have been trying to learn since 2012, but it's slow. I am improving though. I wouldn't mind a mentor at all.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

I would love to have a quilting mentor.

I don't know where I am, exactly, on the newb to expert scale. I've been sewing for over 40 years and occasionally made my living with a sewing machine, so I'm certainly not a beginner. That said, I only made one quilt before this year-- a bargello strip pieced quilt that I made almost 20 years ago to be a cover for an electric piano. I still don't see myself as a quilter, but I've gotten very interested in quilts as art, and would like to explore carrying quilting techniques to other sewing.

I am enjoying the heck out of free motion quilting, though I still have a lot to learn there. I feel like I understand it and just need practice to become more confident and fluid with it. I've made some pieces I'm proud of, and am working on some samplers as skill builders.

I guess what I most would like support on is piecing. Quilting requires a different level of precision both in cutting and in sewing than garments and home dec. I'm trying to figure it out with web tutorials and the like, but I don't know what a good progression of projects would be. I'm not afraid of Y seams or curved piecing, except that my uneven seams keep me from having properly sized and shaped blocks.

I just completed a section of a top using One Block Wonder techniques with interstitial triangles (pic below) that took several tries to get sewn up. I ended up measuring and marking seam lines on every piece and pinning to get them to overlap. It was kind of nightmare-ish. It's together, the points mostly match and it's pretty flat, so I'm calling it a win. But ugh, there has to be an easier way.

I would love advice and support, particularly from folks who are Seattle area locals. :-)
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2015 at 05:56 AM. Reason: remove link to affiliated site

Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    its beautiful. I'd give my back teeth to be able to make something that lovely.
    Thank you for the compliment! I have enough design background that the color and composition parts are pretty straightforward for me- that's not where I need help. I would be happy to help you and anyone else with design/color/composition choices, if that would be useful. Maybe we can all help each other.

What you can't see from 15 feet away and through an iphone lens is how poorly the points come together, and how not-flat the top is. It will be an adventure in pinning when I eventually go to quilt this. That's why I'm here asking for a quilting mentor! I need guidance in how to acquire the technical skills I lack. :-)

At the suggestion of someone who contacted me privately about this posting, I'm going to take a step back and do a simpler piecing exercise for my next quilt, based on half square triangles. I have three or four methods of making them to try so I can see what it takes to get my seams consistent. I'm going to work slowly and do a lot of testing and checking to figure out what it takes for me to do a better job. Hopefully that will be a good first step from where I am to where I would like to be.

Hey everyone! I saw this post was older and was wondering if there where anyone out there still willing to mentor a young newbie.

I'm 22 and have sewn hear and there over the years. I can sew somewhat of a straight line . I'm also halfway through 2-3 quilts. I recently started a sewing class and hope to learn some basics there but I would also like to maybe learn how to quilt on my sewing machine. I have several aunts that are really great sewers.
    I hate to bother people with a ton of questions but I'm def one who would have a lot I'm guessing. So if anyone is upto the challenge of answering my questions and giving advice I would be greatful!

Also I'm new to this site, but love it and I'm so glad I found it. I know I'm going to learn a lot from you all!

I'm up for adoption! LOL I am new to quilting I am blessed with the internet to help me learn lots. I have been doing BOM from Crafty's and made a free that way I think I have about maybe 6 quilts done at this time YAY!! I can't get the binding together right so I sew a straight seams a little thick but the ones that get the gifts they are really happy and that's all that counts right. So needless to say I am Open to Learn all I can say Is Bring on 2015!! and my new buddy
    You have a great day
    DEB.

Bluetickgal, I'll pm you and see if you want me to adopt you or not. I'm no expert but I enjoy sharing what I do know and love with newbies.

NEWBIE HERE...I would love to be "adopted" and mentored! I am new to quilting but love it! I do sew and have some experience with sewing home décor items...but quilting is a whole new adventure. I have been watching a lot of Missouri star quilt videos to learn to quilt. they have been helpful. Pennsylvania is where I call home.

Newbie here I would love to be Adoped. I am very new to quilting and would love all the help I can get.

i am a life long seamstress (use to make wedding dresses even) BUT...i never tried quilting. last fall i decided to make christmas quilts and got online to teach myself as much as i could. I took some clues from some pictures, but except for one quilt that had a specility print fabric, i pretty much free worked the tops. I was already to quilt, when i could not find a extension table fast enough for my babylock esante sewing machine, so i had to give them out unfinished. I still dont have the extension table, but for the last few weeks i have been hand quilting my sons quilt first. I really want to learn how to free motion for the rest of them, and hope to work myself up to a sewing machine that i think will work better for quilting. when i get off the computer, i will go to my phone so i can then insert front pictures of the quilts i made. (the owl print quilt basically ended up having a front on both sides because i had to piece fabrics to fit the back).

oh...and one of them was the first quilt i started, a crazy quilt because i wanted to just use fabrics that i already knew i had on hand.

but i love boards, and i know i could really use a quilting Sherpa on my side!!!!! thank you in advance (deborah) oh, i live in escondido, which is kind of san diego area! I also am a polymer clay and beading expert, i would gladly share skills!

okay. here are the pictures.
    Name:  asianquilt.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  31.3 KBName:  crazyquilt.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  37.6 KBName:  drunkquilt.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  28.7 KBName:  owlfront.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  38.9 KBName:  owlback.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  43.5 KB

i have really enjoyed the process, especially since i am handicapped, it seems to be something i still can do with my limitations. The sewing of the actual quilts I seem to be getting pretty easily, but i want to learn how to do this correctly, (trust me, there was a heck of a lot of ripping out seams making these because i was taught right was the only way by my grandmother.) So, it is only right that i find a quilt angel that can push me in the right directions. I intend to get into art quilts when all is said and done. (i think! lol)
    Last edited by crafty55; 02-10-2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: adding message

I would definitely be a newbie. Anyone willing to adopt an old lady??

Blog Entries
    oh crafty I want the bird one. How marvelous. Is that one hard to do?

Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
    oh crafty I want the bird one. How marvelous. Is that one hard to do?

tkhooper, the japanese bird one was actually about the easiest. The fabrics were all from the same collection, and so beautiful i didnt want to break them up into complicated blocks. This is the quilt that is going to go to my 83 year old mother in law, because i want it back. ordered the fabric from one of my fave sellers of quilt fabric on ebay. i dont know if we are to pass out that info or not.

i am glad that you enjoyed it. I just finished hand quilting the orange one first, and getting ready to quilt my mother in laws. I need to get an exstention table for my sewing machine still, but i think i am going to still hand quilt it. takes a long time though, but i am getting use to controlling my stitch size now.

still hoping to be "adopted!" I will bring snacks.

ps. I worked out all the patterns myself.

Blog Entries
    You are amazing crafty55. I'm sorry I dropped the ball with the mentoring program. But the truth is just about all our members will help you with any questions you have.

I bet you could tell me your source in an e-mail.

My name is Deborah or Deb and I live in WA State and I am a newbie quilter!

Being a newbie to quiltting I would love to have a resource for questions . I have wanted to learn to quilt for years and during the month of March I took a class and made a table runner. Quite frankly the instructor was arrogant and rude and several times it was all I could do to hold back the tears. The class was for beginners and I truly am a beginner at that point I didnt even know how to use my rotary cutter and ruler.

So after that experience I went home and started doing research on my own on You Tube ect....I can not see paying my hard earned money to be treated badly. I figure if I get brave, through trial and error, reading and watching video's and asking questions I can learn this on my own.

There is so much I do not know products, terminology ect.

I have been sewing since I was a young girl and I really want to master this! I found a simple example on You tube and started my first quilt on Monday...I had to do some unsewing on Tuesday. Yesterday I started to see progress with my squares and I have started the lay out on the kitchen table but still eyeing and thinking about it..

So I too would love to be adopted!

Hi every one
    Male from Canada and have just started to quilt in Jan have made 4 quilts now and still learning but there getting to be more fun now and time goes so fast when i,m quilting .
    But keeps me out of trouble.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Hi Tom, This isn't really all that active of a thread anymore. I kind of dropped out for a couple of years. I hope someone contacts you to help you along. Im impressed that you have done 4 quilts already.

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 65 74 75