Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2015 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2015-fabric-moratorium-t259073.html)

earthwalker 08-23-2015 06:52 PM

Very stylish crumbs Martina. I stopped at a charity shop this morning, picked up a couple of metres of good quality flannel (stash is pretty low on decent flannel). I didn't bring home any books/mags, clothes or shoes (I am on a self imposed moratorium of those items too)

oksewglad 08-23-2015 07:01 PM

My nearest JA's is an hour+ away so that helps keep me out...out of sight...out of mind:D

Look at those pinwheels...nicely done Martina...I like using floater borders, too..

tkhooper 08-24-2015 05:09 AM

I have the fabrics for 5 quilts plus my stash. I need to stay away from the LQS for awhile. But I am shopping stash first so I'm learning good habits. My stash fits in a plastic 3 drawer.

elly66 08-24-2015 05:34 AM

Martina love the crumb. Very pretty!
Well sounds like everyone did pretty good with the lure of JoAnn's coupons :). Really wished I had. Went in for more muslin for nieces and nephews quilts which I got (another 6 yards) then I found two more fabrics calling my name so a total of 4 yards I have no idea what I'll use them for. Then a promo code for Connecting threads and got some thread I wanted but also bought two 1/2 yards pieces of fabric. So I tipped off the wagon but I am back on thankfully.

calla 08-24-2015 07:37 AM

Erin no need to fret, we all we all stumble from time to time. Martina very nice pinwheels, good colors also. Altariss I will have to google the zig zag thing..........later all....calla

Lori S 08-24-2015 09:07 AM

I "just had to use" my Joann's coupon too! I was lucky that the Kona black was not on sale so I got the 60 percent off. I was down to my last 4 inches of the Kona black ( its a staple in my stash)so I bought 2 yards , and that was all. I am happy to report nothing else made it into the cart.

Coloradowest 08-24-2015 10:59 AM

I know I figure black is staple and also white.

I was in Joanns in Vernal must be year or two ago. Clerk informed me she never heard of the type of material I wanted . So I went to Clubbs another city they had lots of it .They pulled bolts for me. Last week I was in material at Walmart and met a Mennonite lady and we talked, she heard of the store I had bought at and thinking of going. I only get down there like once a year at Thanksgiving, I stocked up last year. I did not buy any material last week. Just looking.

Pegasus 08-24-2015 02:23 PM

Joann got me too with those 60% off coupons. I scored some battings and about 6yds of fabric that will give me enough to use with my stash to make 4 jelly roll race quilts. Did I mention I got a June Tailor shape cut plus? So much fun making my own jelly roll strips! Each quilt will have a dominant color: blue, blue-green, purple, and pink-red. My stash was mostly those colors, and the new purchases added a little more visual interest for a JRR. These projects should use up almost all my stash.

At this point I'm stocked with enough needles, thread, fabric, and batting to not have to restock on anything for a good long while. Except maybe basting spray.;)

SandyinZ4 08-24-2015 05:29 PM

On the subject of basting spray I will make a comment. So far, after using it for the first time, I love it! One of my QG members helped me use it to sandwich a small quilt. I am amazed at how well it helps keep things together and I only used a few pins to keep things in place until I got back to my house. I am going to try it out again on my next small size quilt. Wish me luck! Do any of you worry about overspray? At my friend's house, the floor felt a bit sticky when we were finished so I am thinking I need to be a bit cautious when trying it when I have carpet. Any thoughts?

MadQuilter 08-24-2015 05:44 PM

SandyinZ4: ABSOLUTELY! Overspray is the devil and you have to wash it off right away or it will require considerable elbow grease later. (Ask me how I know) I do mine on the bed and put a king-size sheet underneath. The larger they get, the more difficult they are to get basted evenly. For my last one I had cut my batting too tight and the top got angled a bit. By the time I got it to the end there wasn't enough batting left. Grrr! Can't imagine doing it on carpet - how high is the pile?