Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-ufo-challenge-month-t293707.html)

happylab 01-27-2018 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by sunrise450 (Post 7991212)
I like the idea of a finish in February. Does it matter what size it is? I have UFO's as small as pot holders up to a full sized quilt. I am in the process of making a full sized quilt but have so many table runners, mug rugs, those darn pot holders. Also does completing a knitting project or crocheting project count?

Sunrise, after reading the Opening UFO Challenge. I don't see anything stating we have to keep to quilt items only. But in the past that is what we have been doing. So I decided to have 2 totals. One for quilting items only and 1 for all the other items. I count an item of quilting any size that is finished. Coasters, and, pot holders all count for how many items are in the set. If you have 4 place mates, that's 4 items completed. I have a few crochet afghans I started and only need crochet boarders needed.

kristijoy 01-27-2018 04:19 PM

After we got back home from all the holiday travels, I cleaned out my sewing room and looked through the UFO's! Then I wrote them on little cards. I sorted them into 3 categories

1. To Quilt
2. Blocks done, just need to sew together top
3. Cut out, but blocks not done

Then I had my son draw a card for each pile. So far I've quilted 2 quilts, assembled one top, and finished blocks on another!! I work on several things at once, but this has helped me focus down to 3 at a time! :)

Dedemac 01-27-2018 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter (Post 7990721)
One step closer to finishing that 13 year old UFO. Got the binding sewn on last night. Not just to hand sew it down an it will be done. Have some customer quilts to do this weekend and company coming for dinner Saturday night, but I am hoping to squeak out some time and get the binding down. It will be so great to have this UFO completed, it is long overdue.

Diana, I'm sure you can find sometime this week to get that binding finished, you are sooo close. By the way are you going to any of the Super Bowl events since you are this close?

Originally Posted by topper1 (Post 7990877)
Think I will join ..have one I just finished..siggy blocks another person gave me...will post.....I'm excited to be included....

Welcome aboard, we love pictures of in progress and the finished items.

Originally Posted by JJBlaine (Post 7990957)
Argh! I feel like I am not going finish my scrappy Irish chain quilt by the end of the month! I had hoped to get the backing pieced and get it basted tonight. Instead, I have to add two more rows to the front, and I unintentionally created another UFO to boot!

My mother saw it, and asked if I might give it to her BFF of almost 50 years. How could I say no? But the nautical panels I had already started stitching together just aren't very feminine, so I rummaged thru my UFO's again, and found an on-point Ohio Stars Quilt that I think she will like. If I add two more rows to my Irish Chain, it will work perfectly.

So instead of basting tonight, I will be joining Ohio Stars and piecing more Irish Chain blocks. :/

JJ Are you using the Ohio Stars for the back of the Irish Chain? Doesn't that count as a twofer?

Originally Posted by Pearl40 (Post 7991010)
Just the binding to sew on my first UFO of the year. I pieced the top very quickly, made the binding and then put it away for five years. Today could be the day.

Pearl looking forward to a finish! love to see it.

Originally Posted by sunrise450 (Post 7991212)
I like the idea of a finish in February. Does it matter what size it is? I have UFO's as small as pot holders up to a full sized quilt. I am in the process of making a full sized quilt but have so many table runners, mug rugs, those darn pot holders. Also does completing a knitting project or crocheting project count?

A UFO is a UFO so I think they all count also.

Originally Posted by kristijoy (Post 7991543)
After we got back home from all the holiday travels, I cleaned out my sewing room and looked through the UFO's! Then I wrote them on little cards. I sorted them into 3 categories

1. To Quilt

Then I had my son draw a card for each pile. So far I've quilted 2 quilts, assembled one top, and finished blocks on another!! I work on several things at once, but this has helped me focus down to 3 at a time! :)

Kristi That is a great motivator, gives one choices but makes you focus.

Teen 01-27-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by kristijoy (Post 7991543)

1. To Quilt

oh my....that's is a bunch of progress. Good for you!! Love to see pictures....

kristakz 01-28-2018 08:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was at a retreat this week, and for the last year my retreat plan has been to take projects that need to be finished and get them out of the way. So, this time around I took 4 quilts that needed borders, and two that needed blocks pieced. All the borders are done! And progress was made on the other two. So, none of these are finishes for this month, but significant progress was made on:

Kaffe - I won some blocks at a retreat 1.5 years ago. Reworked them over the course of 3 retreats (they were 9" 1/2 square triangles), and this week added the border to the quilt. Ready for quilting!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587914[/ATTACH]

Purple & Olive - this poor guy needs a name. I bought the fabric 4 or 5 years ago because I loved the colours (what was I thinking?) Finally came up with a design at my last retreat in November and assembled the center of the top there. But I ran out of black so the borders didn't get done. Finally remembered to cut some fabric, so I finished the borders and turned this into a Victoria's Quilt donation top. Ready for quilting, and will probably be a Feb finish. [ATTACH=CONFIG]587915[/ATTACH]

VQ top - someone gave me this fabric, when I was bored one day. The original owner bought a kit from Connecting Threads. After making the top,she had enough fabric left over to make the exact same top again - with just a couple of fabric substituions. Finally added borders (one of the fabrics that needed to be added) and up-sized it for a Victoria's Quilt donation top. Another Feb plan.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587916[/ATTACH]

I also made 24 blocks from my 150 Canadian Women quilt (no pictures though). Only 30 more to go.

sunrise450 01-28-2018 09:04 AM

You all make me feel down right lazy! Love all the works in the finishing stage. I am still plugging along on my HST QUILT. hope to finish it in Feb.

D.Henson 01-28-2018 10:52 AM

Krista: Very nice on all of them!! You made great progress. My favorite is the first one. The Kaffe material is bright and cheery. Love that.

Sync 01-28-2018 11:29 AM

Krista, you have been busy. The tops look great.

JJBlaine 01-28-2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac (Post 7991647)
JJ Are you using the Ohio Stars for the back of the Irish Chain? Doesn't that count as a twofer?

Yes, I'm using the Ohio Stars as the reverse of the Irish Chain, But I added one UFO when I switched my plan for the reverse.

I have the OS all pieced, and have added the extra rows to the IC, so I'm hoping to get them both pressed and basted tonight. But, thanks to the changes I made, there is no way it's going to be a January finish. Still, I am quite thrilled that those two will soon be checked off my list!

Teen 01-28-2018 01:58 PM

Krista...way to stay focused and committed. All are gorgeous! Of course, the bright Kaffe draws me....really gorgeous!

i finished sandwich for non-UFO Stars and Stripes quilt and did my 5th mini block. Still trying to decide between quilt/ bind each or make a mini quilt wall hanging. I need to decide so I can move on to next project. I refuse to allow this to become a UFO. Lol!