Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-ufo-challenge-month-t293707.html)

zozee 01-25-2018 03:05 PM

I'm enjoying the photos of finishes. KEep up the good work, everyone.

Wondering if we could do something for Feb that really helped me stay on task (or at least light a fire under my procratinating butt) one year? You, happylab, pick a number --something of a reasonable guesstimate--of UFOs we , as a group, can knock out together. It somehow feels like I'm contributing to the bigger picture, working side-by-side, instead of independently, when I can add my finish to the chosen goal number. Am I alone in this crazy motivational mindgame? LOL

petthefabric 01-25-2018 03:45 PM

zozee; i like your idea.

Rhonda Lee 01-25-2018 04:49 PM

I'm hanging in there making string blocks. Thinking, "What was I thinking?" 300 is done 400 to go...

Teen 01-25-2018 05:13 PM

Dedemac.....coasters are so pretty. Well done! Even though it's not a UFO, I keep getting distracted on my Stars & Stripes quilt....did a couple of mini blocks and got hooked. Oops! ...Friday movie day but Saturday is all mine..DH out of the house for most of the day and I can spread out and do sandwich. Haven't heard from my quilter on panel quilt yet but I want that baby back so I can bind, tag, and ship. That one IS a UFO and I want it done.

Teen 01-25-2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee (Post 7990156)
I'm hanging in there making string blocks. Thinking, "What was I thinking?" 300 is done 400 to go...

What size are your blocks? 400 blocks more? wow! My imagination in running wild and would love to see a picture of a block if you feel like sharing. Good for you for staying focused...

oksewglad 01-25-2018 06:39 PM

I wish I could get sidetracked by other sewing! I'm in the midst of EOY bookwork and getting ready for tax appt in early February. I've been sorting HST's by size so I can utilize these pieces better.

Kudos to the finishers!

Dedemac 01-26-2018 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7989938)
Dedemac what sweet little coasters and really like the brown sashing around the little ones...are the centers 2 1/2"?

They should have squared at 2 finished but it was my first time at piecing quite that small. They ended up at a finished 2 1/4 then I added the sashing and squared. I have found that I love doing things in miniature, the only problem is the quilting, what to do for the proportions.

happylab 01-26-2018 06:24 AM

Working on Zozee suggestion. We will have a February challenge. Thinking out loud. We have 28 days in February. How about 35 completed UFO's for this month? An average of 1 a day plus 7. We can do this. I have a few just screaming for me to finish them. So come on show us work in progress and finished UFO's.

oksewglad 01-26-2018 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dedemac (Post 7990406)
They should have squared at 2 finished but it was my first time at piecing quite that small. They ended up at a finished 2 1/4 then I added the sashing and squared. I have found that I love doing things in miniature, the only problem is the quilting, what to do for the proportions.

As long as they are all the same size it really doesn't matter if you are putting them together like this. it gets a little dicier if you were to use all tiny HST's in a border. And yes quilting is always a question for me. For one thing you don't want to detract from the intricate piecing. Stitch in the ditch works well. Keep up the great work!

letawellman 01-26-2018 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by happylab (Post 7990437)
Working on Zozee suggestion. We will have a February challenge. Thinking out loud. We have 28 days in February. How about 35 completed UFO's for this month? An average of 1 a day plus 7. We can do this. I have a few just screaming for me to finish them. So come on show us work in progress and finished UFO's.

I have a couple in mind that would be perfect for this... and it will get them out of my way.

I pulled out another UFO last night. It was originally intended to be a jacket, with the "fabric" made from a jellyroll. Way back when, I had cut out some of the lining, and sewn some of the JR strips, but we all know how life intervenes. Well, 5 years and 30 pounds later, I wouldn't fit into the jacket if I had finished it, so I'm going in a different direction with it. I'll post pics when I a little further along (or finished, depending on how things go.)