Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-ufo-challenge-month-t293707.html)

Teen 01-22-2018 04:48 PM

Nice job, QuilterMama! 63? Yikes. I'm stressed just thinking about it.

quiltmouse.....Never heard of a crumb quilt...so thank you for posting pic....looks really cool. Please tell me you used foundation paper to piece this bad boy.

I'm still plugging away on patriotic quilt. My panel quilt should be back from quilter this week. It's a quilt of valor so I made the special label for it today. I actually had a dentist apt. (2 1/2 hours in that chair...ugh!)...then I went to Joann's (slobbering all over the place) and purchased some of those sheets of fabric you can print on a printer. First time used those and it turned out awesome for the QOV. I make a lot of these so now I can whip out the required label since I can save the work and just change name. Love it. Then...I know...I got distracted.......I cut out the itty bitty pieces to try a mini mosaic block.....on-ward and back to patriotic quilt.

letawellman 01-22-2018 06:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments on my finish. Rob, I especially feel warmed by your comments, as I really admire your "art quilts". For some reason, it seemed to "calm down" a little once I quilted it, then washed it. And yes, the optical illusion part is why there are "leftovers" from that UFO. A FB quilting friend has asked for the leftovers, and I will be glad to not be looking at them (and feeling somewhat guilty) anymore!!

Q-Momma, I LOVE your fabric boxes!! Is there a pattern for these? I think my daughter would love some of these in different sizes (she's the organizer in this family... I seem to have been skipped over for that gene!)

QuiltMouse, I love the hexie baby quilt too. And you have my admiration for the crumb quilt - definitely beyond my attention-span capabilities!! Those tiny little pieces would eventually get on my nerves. Great work!!

Teen, I just used some of those "printer fabric sheets" for a memory quilt. I bought the EQ brand. I have NOT wet/washed them yet... actually, I'm petrified of doing so. A friend of mine has a printing (t-shirts, polo shirts, etc) business - I may check with him to see if he can recommend something to permanently "set" the ink. I'll let you know how that goes.

Teen 01-22-2018 07:12 PM

Leta....I, first, set the ink with a hot iron (non-steam) after letting it sit for 10 mins from the printer. Then, I ran cold water over it until saturated, then blotted with paper towel, then ironed until dry (without steam). No smears, smudges, or color runs. It is still crisp printing so I think you'll do Ok to color fix. You could try on a sample. I didn't buy EQ...I forgot what brand.

Dedemac 01-22-2018 07:37 PM

Let a, I used Taylor sheets for my memory quilts and quilt labels. I also do the same process as Teen, haven't had any problems yet. I get them at Joann's Not much accomplished today, we are at 13 inches of snow and still coming down. Was shoving for about 2 and 1/2 hours today today! Why do I live in Minnesota?

Pearl40 01-22-2018 10:59 PM

I'm loving seeing all your finishes.

Is it too late to climb aboard? I have 10 UFOs so am aiming to finish one a month. The first only needs a little more quilting and binding. It is less than two hours work so why has it been sitting on the back of a chair for a month?

JoyjoyMarie 01-23-2018 06:17 AM

I'm in too - have quite a list in my quilting room. Finished my first UFO last week and mailed it out to my niece. I absolutely must get it figured out how to post pics here also! That task is also a UFO!!

SuzzyQ 01-23-2018 07:14 AM

Finally Finished - 5 years in the making!

2 Attachment(s)
Been in the process of making this quilt for about 5 years. It's a thank you to my big brother for helping remodel our bathroom. Started with buying a length of fabric with the idea of using just the fish under the water. Returned a few weeks later to find the rest of the bolt on the clearance rack. So I bought it all. As per usual, I have enough fabric to make another 3 or 4 quilts. Named it Where the Heart is 'cause my brother is always talking about living up north in the woods.
Probably took so long because I really didn't like the panel. Once I started putting borders on it grew on me. The final border is another panel length "exploded" with some fabric from my stash. Now the more I see it, the better I like it. Sometimes I amaze myself...
Now off to work on another of the lineup...

cherrybsixty 01-23-2018 07:54 AM

Good morning everyone, I haven't fell off the grind just have to get back on the train. I did de-board the ride but got back on at the next stop. Just want to say WELCOME to a few ladies.

quiltmouse, love your crum quilt
Pearl40, never too late to join the UFO train, WELCOME
JoyjoyMarie, we welcome you on board the train, WELCOME
SuzzyQ, welcome also love that five year old UFO, WELCOME

Everyone stay dry and warm, it's still acting like winter out there have a good day.

QuilterMomma 01-23-2018 08:38 AM

Great job Suzie Q.
Welcome aboard Pearl40 and JoyJoyMarie, the more the merrier. We are all in this together.

Leta, well, I used the pattern in the book Sunday Morning Quilts, it is a book all about scraps. I intend to do the same, make one of every color so I can sort my scraps that are all cut up (hopefully soon) and sorted in each bin. I am thinking one could make a divider inside these so you could separate your cut up pieces by size and shape. I may be asking to much of myself, but it is an idea. I am not the organizer either, daughter is. Working on getting sewing area into shape, now if my husband would cooperate with my ideas and let me put holes in the walls with shelves, well, I could get it done.

jaba 01-23-2018 10:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Nice baskets QM, I use them too. Not so much for scraps but I use them to store different projects or quilt squares, etc. they work great. Google free fabric baskets and there are a lot of them, some with dividers too:)
I had 2 of these panels of fish, made 1 into a quilt but I need to get back to Wyoming before I can get it quilted and done. I tried to find somewhere here that I could rent their longarm but haven't found any place yet. The other panel has been sitting too so I decided to use it to make some wall décor for our bedroom. They turned out nice I think and add a lot of color so I made some pillows too. 8 UFO's done[ATTACH=CONFIG]587564[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]587565[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]587566[/ATTACH]